Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace the two cloth braided hoses that run into this; the panel in the right front wheel well seems to be riveted in place, can the canister be accessed from the cabin? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Just drill them out, replace with screws. Do you have hose already? You can use any fuel or emissions type hose, I think the small size is 3/16. The canister itself comes out fairly easily, one 13mm bolt then it moves up off a hook it's hanging on.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Car is so original, kills me to drill them out! Yes, have the correct braided cloth hose from Difatta. Sounds like the canister is mounted exactly the same way as on my Milano; just replaced those hoses but they were accessible from under the front spoiler after jacking up the right front wheel a bit.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Oh, an be prepared to clean a bunch of mud and junk out of that cavity, might want to do the other side too if there is lots of detritus in there.
I second this. While accessing that charcoal canister clean the bottoms of the front fender nearest the cabin. The sunroof drains there and if there is muck it leads to the fender rusting out. Luckily our GTV6 was from Texas and when I went in there I only found dry dirt and sand.

Does anyone have the correct hose routing to the charcoal canister? When I installed our missing canister I just kind of guessed on the hose hook up (of the two smaller hoses, the large one was obvious).

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
The smaller of the two from the tank goes to the bottom, plenum one goes to the top. There should be a rectangular notch at the top inner of the splash guard for the three hoses to pass through on their way to the holes in the fender.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The third, top hose runs from the canister to the center of the firewall and on down behind the engine. Can't really tell where it goes unless I get under the car. You can see one of the rivets holding the plastic shield in place. The notch is up and to the right...
IMG_4286.JPG

·
Registered
47 Posts
Looking to replace the two cloth braided hoses that run into this; the panel in the right front wheel well seems to be riveted in place, can the canister be accessed from the cabin? Thanks!
You are correct they were rivited in place from the factory. Drilling them out and replacing them with sheet metal screws is the usual option. And, yes, it is the only way to access the canister. The nice thing about switching to screws is it makes it easy to periodically clean the inevitable dirt trapped inside this area.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've gone this far in replacing the cloth hoses; I guess drilling the rivets out is next...

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Consider the screws an “upgrade” so you can clean back there. I posted a pic a few years ago about how bad it gets. But that said nothing stops you from riveting it back if you really want it original.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts