Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just want to verify how the dipstick tube on the left side of a 2L GTV should connect to the block. Is it a press fit or screw-in or what?

Mine's leaking a bit and appears to be (badly) sealed with a big glob of sealant. I've learned to ask about things before pulling them apart, so I want to make sure I know how this connection should really be.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hokay, that is not what mine looks like. No oil return hookup for starters, and the tube seems to go directly into the block with a big glob of sealant of some sort. This is going to require some investigation, I think.

Attachments

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also this is a Euro 2000 if it makes a difference. That's probably why there's no oil return.

·
Registered
858 Posts
the oil stick is in the EX side, so this make it an Alfetta block (116) instead of 105 block where the stick is on the intake side

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
The plot thickens.
For USA cars, the Alfetta blocks and sumps came in two flavors; dipstick in block or dipstick in sump. In both cases, the dipstick tubes screw in and have an oil return fitting.
Of the 3 digitized Euro parts books I have dated 4/72, 4/74 and 10/77, all three show the dipstick in the front cover on the right side of the engine. I'll check in storage to see if I have any more parts books I could look at.

In the meantime Tom, what is the engine type number?

·
Premium Member
13,090 Posts
Is there a second dipstick hole in the right side of the timing cover?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's a second hole right behind the mechanical fuel pump that might be it, yeah, but it looks like it's plugged at the bottom.

Engine type code looks like AR01655 if I'm reading the right thing. I knew the head wasn't original as it's got a coolant temperature sensor at the top rear: maybe the whole thing came out of a later car? There's no provision for an oil pressure switch which also suggests Alfetta.

·
Premium Member
13,090 Posts
There's no provision for an oil pressure switch which also suggests Alfetta.
Agree. I built a Frankenstein motor with an Alfetta block and a GTV crankshaft and front cover. No oil pressure switch but two dipstick holes. I plugged the dipstick hole on the left and used the one on the right. Rich Hanning - 65Sprint now owns it. I think that the hole that I plugged was a plain bore that I was able to "thread" with a coarse pitch Allen screw.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So that sucker should just unscrew then, correct? I want to verify before I break something. You know, the opposite of what I usually do.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Unfortunately, no additional paper manuals to help out. Lots of microfiche to look at though if need be.

The change from the right side to left side dipstick was partially dependent on the engine size. The 2L 01655 engine was switched to left side by 5/77 while the 1.8L changed by 3/78. Course, this is zero help on how to get the tube out.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I agree, just a press fit into the hole. May have got loosened at some point in it's life, hence the attempt to seal it with silicon.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Progress. Whatever that sealant was, it was hard as a rock and wasn't adhering to the block at all. Hit it with a mini torch and was able to chip it off.

The dipstick tube is in fact a press-fit and was slightly loose, hence the leakage. I cleaned it up well and sealed it with some black RTV: hopefully that'll hold okay.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So the black silicone I smeared on the outside didn't hold up. Went for a drive today and still got a bunch of dripping.

I gave the tube a tug and it pulled right out, so it's not really press-fitting anymore. There's a groove in it that I'd guess is for some sort of seal, but after mucking around a bit with o-rings and whatnot I couldn't find anything that worked. I cleaned it off real well and am trying again with a bit more silicone along the entire section of the tube where it fits into the block.

If anyone has any other brilliant ideas let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Every 2l motor I’ve seen has a rubber sleeve that connects the dipstick tube to the nipple. It’s about 1.75 inches long maybe 7/8 OD and 1/2 ID roughly.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Every 2l motor I’ve seen has a rubber sleeve that connects the dipstick tube to the nipple.
Yeah, you're kind of getting to the whole "why Tom asked the question in the first place" thing there, Goats :D

This car has no nipple and no rubber sleeve. Just the 100mm x 14mm steel tube shown, directly fitted into the hole in the block. Press fit, no threads.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts