Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1974 GTV. Built 9/1974
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like I've gone and worn out a second speedo on my GTV. My original lasted some 480,000 miles and the replacement (installed used without any service except for blowing out the dust) lasted about 1/10 that.

It started making “skritching” noises accompanied by a slight needle jump. I thought at first it was the cable, but the noise suddenly took a non-linear jump louder combined with massive needle jumps and the odo stopping. The problem appears to be that the little worm gear train that goes from the main input shaft to the odometer is binding up and now it's not engaging between two of the gears. Is this fixable?

- Jack

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Everything is fixable (at least on an Alfa). Call Palo Alto Speedometer or North Hollywood Speedometer for a quote and lead time estimate. I've had good service with both.

·
Registered
1974 GTV. Built 9/1974
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Everything is fixable (at least on an Alfa). Call Palo Alto Speedometer or North Hollywood Speedometer for a quote and lead time estimate. I've had good service with both.
Thanks! I just saw a post about a place in Minnesota (?) as well, but I'd rather keep it closer to home if possible.

- Jack

·
Registered
1974 GTV. Built 9/1974
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
++ a million to North Hollywood Speedo.
Thanks for the confirmation. I actually have to drive down to Hollywood next month (not as exotic as it sounds) so maybe I can drop it off in person!

- Jack

1 - 7 of 7 Posts