Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone:

My 1974 GTV has no exterior radio antenna, and I don't really want to drill a hole anywhere. I am thinking of adding a period-correct radio mostly for looks, but also for the occasional use. Has anyone had recent experience with an alternative to the usual external antenna? My thinking is that maybe there is one that can be attached to the inside of the windshield (ala Porsche) and could be good enough to pick up the occasional KCBS traffic report.

Please let me know your thoughts as I am open to any/all ideas. Thanks very much as this forum has been fantastic

Best

Andy

I know this has been a topic before, but the thread was sufficiently old that I thought there might have been new discoveries since then!

·
Push hard and live
9,168 Posts
I picked up a nice 77 Spider with a working Blaupunkt, but no working LCD face. What to do?

I found a JBL remote amp with built-in Bluetooth. It uses a wired control panel that is small enough, using a homemade plate, to fit into the existing dash hole. This control panel is not really necessary for regular operations, and could just as easily be hidden behind the dash or put in the glovebox. It’s only normal functions are to activate hands-free telephone, or turn on the radio when the ignition key is off. If these functions are not needed, the amp powers up and connects to your paired Bluetooth device automatically.

so.... you can just leave your delete plate in place and access radio, or your music files, via your cell phone.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,059 Posts
Search Amazon for “hidden antenna” or “windshield antenna,” lots of no-drill options.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Try a portable radio that has an external antenna jack and with some coax, connect it to (center conductor soldered to an alligator clip) the stainless bumper and the outer braid to a ground source. It will be horizontally polarized, as opposed to a vertical antenna, but it's worth a reception check. As others mentioned, there are many creative options.

Sounds like you're in the (KCBS) SF bay area.

·
Registered
682 Posts
My European market Giulia Nuova Super came with an antenna mounted to the inside bottom of the windshield. Works great.

·
Push hard and live
9,168 Posts
Just to add....

Most reasonably priced auto radios have junk amps, and relatively narrow frequency range. Ignoring their published specs, they sound tinny, and distort at fairly low volume.

This JBL is an AMP. I hooked it up to what I believe are the original 1976 speakers, and we all had dropped jaws when we first lit it up. With the top down, at speed, with a failing wheel bearing, it keeps up.

I think it cost $119, free freight.

if you’ve already got a radio you like, this amp will accept RCA inputs as well as BT.

I’ve got the reverse problem from yours. How do I get rid of an antenna hole? (No answers actually required).

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just to add to the discussion on radio/antenna. My Giulia GT antenna is a stick on DAB/FM antenna which fits on inside of windscreen and is moderately unobtrusive. As mentioned they are available at quite low cost. I placed a Classic Alfa sticker over the antenna so it is barely noticeable from outside. Search for DAB/FM antenna and you'll find them

Coincidentally I am also having the same question right now on a '72 XJ6 Jag I am restoring which has an awful wing mounted antenna which needs removing. There I'm going for an interior FM antenna which I will either mount in glovebox, on dashboard or on rear parcel shelf. Again search for interior FM antenna and you'll see the sort of thing.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My 1974 GTV has no exterior radio antenna, and I don't really want to drill a hole anywhere.
I had my previous owner's work welded shut. I live in a built up area and have tried a ton of different stick on aerials, from Blaupunkt to Pioneer, and all gave very sketchy reception. I bit the bullet with the Lancia as its a 1993 car and put a roof aerial. For the Alfa, and after much searching, I decided to load my phone will all the various radio apps and am installing a modern car stereo which is entirely controlled by the phone, and the radio apps play through the car stereo either in Bluetooth or direct USB connection. I get much better reception using mobile/cellular data than with a radio.

I am also making a bracket for the phone which fits on the side of the dash/door and fits a Brodit adapter as I really don't like stuff stuck to my windscreen.

Worth exploring?

Andrew.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have one of these mechless units BT units in another old car - minimalist and it works perfectly from the phone.

My Alfa came to me with this aerial. Not something I would have done, but I will be keeping it. Looks very period.
IMG_20200205_195054.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts