Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I've been out of the loop for quite awhile with my car stored away...

I'm just starting to look at getting it moving again and one of the reasons it was stored away, was a "bucking" rear end.

It's been suggested by those who recently looked at it that I may need to replace the Ring (Crown) and Pinion, and Spider Gears in the Differential?

Can anyone direct me to the best place to buy these parts in the U.S. and what I can expect to pay for them?

Thank you!!

·
Super Moderator
10,629 Posts
It will be significantly cheaper to just find a good, used differential assembly from a GTV, Berlina, or spider.

You would have to pay several hundred dollars to buy new R and P gears, and then at least that much again to have them properly installed. On the other hand, used 4.56 differential assemblies are plentiful and cheap. These things rarely fail, so the odds are good that a used part will be fine.

If you had ever considered switching to a 4.10 ratio, this would be the time to do it - just find a differential assembly from a Bosch injection era spider. That will cost you more $, but probably still less than swapping new gears into your existing housing.

But before doing any of this, what the heck is a "bucking rear end"? Is it possible that you have issues with your driveshaft or bushings?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'm not the most mechanical person, so, unfortunately, when people start talking about Differential assembly choices, 4.10 vs. 4.56 etc... I probably need more guidance. :)

Then again, that's why I'm here. :)

Thanks again!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Bucking.. essentially, one day when driving it felt like the rear end jumped on a few times on the way home, a cursory inspection showed nothing overtly wrong.

It now bucks/jumps/rides very rough in the rear.

It was recently on a hoist, nothing was torn into, but as the driveline was turned back and forth there was a lot of play, and loud clunking from inside the rear.

·
Administrator
12,587 Posts
My 1750's diff broke 4 teeth of the pinion which caused a very loud banging. I suggest removing the diff sump, after draining the oil, and seeing what falls out. In my case 4 teeth fell out.

If you have a similar experience then yes buy a complete 2nd hand rear axle as they are cheap and replacing a crown wheel and pinion requires expert knowledge.
Pete

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you guys give me any advice on buying/finding a differential assembly/2nd hand rear axle?

Am I looking for a specific replacement or are there compatible options?

Thanks again!!! :)

·
Administrator
12,587 Posts
Can you guys give me any advice on buying/finding a differential assembly/2nd hand rear axle?

Am I looking for a specific replacement or are there compatible options?

Thanks again!!! :)
You just need to find a wrecker that sells parts for these cars, or maybe post a Wanted ad on this site.
Pete

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I figured, thanks. Wasn't sure if there were any "go-to" places for parts online. :)

Sounds like they aren't extremely rare? Any idea what they generally price for?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Just check with Larry at APE (Alfa Parts Exchange) in Tracy, CA. His contact info is in the vendors sticky, which I think has now been moved to the guest/new member sub-forum.

Best regards,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts