Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Final results of the 10-month restoration. Car is completely original except for the leather interior which is "inspired" by the original colour and design but is more robust.

Car is actually now a different Alfa red to when it was sold, this is the darker red with less orange in it. Original interior was white but a beige rather than cream colour. I think to be kind you would call it "biscuit".

Quarter panel window controls are left off to accommodate the knees of this 6'3" driver.

I'm especially pleased with the niggly small details - new badging, new heater control, alloys that were sold with the car in '75, Pioneer head unit that has all the mod cons but matches the 70s cabin equipment, original Alfa jack, proper opaque plastic covers for the cabin lights etc.

Originality has taken precedence over shiny newness in the door seals (all other rubber is new) and in the centre console which is a little warped and cracked, but probably irreplaceable.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As a PS, keen eyes will note the lack of overriders on the rear bumper. The mechanic at Autotech took it upon himself to remove them and cover the holes, because he felt the rubber parts on the overriders were not up to scratch. They then proceeded to throw away the rubber parts without giving me the option to decide for myself.

As you can see in this "before" image, the overriders look absolutely fine to me. This was my only real complaint with the shop that took care of the car - they got carried away with what THEY thought was best for the car. The alloys were polished and expensive Michelin tyres put on before several thousand dollars worth of mechanical work was completed, for instance.

It's hard to complain seriously though, since the results are so stunning.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Hey quietelk.

Well done.
The Autos are a great car to drive.You just select D for Drag and off you go.Dont select R for Race at speed though.
Do your knees really foul the quarter window knobs ?.
Just a suggestion,reposition the interior door handle to be at the 3 o'clock position + adjust the handbrake (too high).
Did you fix the low RPM take off ?
Maybe you could bring your car to the AROCA NSW annual concorso on July 29.Would be a great drive from Canberra (3hrs)?.
Nice wheels.Are they from a FIAT ?.Only ever seen one other car with these wheels on an Alfa.
Great to see you are finished it. Enjoy.

Robert

·
Super Moderator
10,174 Posts
Overriders on a GTV

I concurr with the shop who did the restoration - lose the overriders!

I always thought those GTV overriders looked "tacked on". They scream "1970's governmental regulations" to me. Any chrome bumper car is going to get creamed in a collision with a modern car, whether it has overriders or not. So, why have have a car that looks terrible BEFORE it gets into an accident?

Neat car!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey quietelk.The Autos are a great car to drive.You just select D for Drag and off you go.Dont select R for Race at speed though.
P for Pause when not already standing still is also pretty nasty.

Do your knees really foul the quarter window knobs ?.
Yes, just. I would tolerate it but the knobs I have are in very poor condition. Perhaps we can find some better ones...

Just a suggestion,reposition the interior door handle to be at the 3 o'clock position + adjust the handbrake (too high).
Roger roger on the handbrake, but the interior knobs were at 6 o'clock when I bought it, and they were also at 6 o'clock on the white one I had. Co-incidence? What's the story here?

Did you fix the low RPM take off ?
Looks like this is a transmission issue. The cam has been adjusted so the dead spot is shorter, only a second or so now from takeoff. According to Autotech, the transmission appears to hang on to the motor "too tightly" and won't let it power up before engaging. Does that sound legit?

Maybe you could bring your car to the AROCA NSW annual concorso on July 29.Would be a great drive from Canberra (3hrs)?.
Easier drive from Marrickville where I'll be living from next week ;)

Nice wheels.Are they from a FIAT ?.Only ever seen one other car with these wheels on an Alfa.
I started a thread on these some time ago and there did seem to be some agreement that they were most often seen on Fiats. Ray Gulson imported a bunch of them and put them on new cars in the mid 70s, or so he told me. As I've mentioned elsewhere, he also made the rear license plate mount!

As for the overriders issue, I have no real preference either way, except that the overriders I think more squarely place the car as a 70s vehicle (rather than 60s), and are part of the "correct" configuration of the car. But then, I have a leather interior with custom door trims...

I'm also not convinced by the "solution" to the gaps the overriders left. However, this bumper has a Canberra Speed Shop sticker on it that is also 32 years old and I kind of like this little reminder of its origins...

As you can see in the before pic, the car had crash damage when I bought it (rear wheel arches were buckled too), but there was no significant rust. The benefits of being an inland car.

Apparently, the original owner was a van-driving businessman who almost never used the car - though he drove it enough to crash it - and when it passed on (literally) to his brother, he also rarely drove it. No one can be sure thanks to the five-digit odo (and the fact this clock is from my white one), but the car could have relatively low kilometres. Any way to find out?

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
looks great, now enjoy!!!!

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
:cool: Great except for the fact that most people on the board would've liked it with the larger side markers

;)

·
Registered
3,909 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was also disappointed that I had to go with the stainless steel wing mirror instead of the square black plastic one I had my eye on. I also had to give up the cool black rubber 80s-era antenna that someone had stuck on the back of the car.

Incidentally, what DOES the original aerial for one of these look like? I currently have an aerial up under the dash which is great for FM but no good at all for AM.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I'm having a guess that you took those pictures out somewhere around Wamboin?

Great except for the fact that most people on the board would've liked it with the larger side markers.
Now that smacks of government regulation... and I should know!!!!

Incidentally, what DOES the original aerial for one of these look like? I currently have an aerial up under the dash which is great for FM but no good at all for AM.
From what I know, no Alfa of this period left the factory with a radio etc. It was left to the dealer to install what was requested by the buyer. For that reason, there is no "factory original spec" in this regard for these cars. (correct me if I am wrong)

The last 105 I restored for myself, I welded up the aerial hole because a GTA never came with one.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I WANT IT :(

**** it looks good
Thanks! And I think I've had it long enough that I could stand to part with it for, oh say $100K. US of course.

As for the length of time on the restoration, there was only minimal body work to do really. A little damage at the rear to patch up properly, 30 years of scuffs and dints to take out, and a new coat of paint.

The interior work was well co-ordinated since the trimmer was only just down the street from the body shop. Interior took about three weeks, as I recall. Quite impressive.

I haven't detailed the engine bay at this stage and similarly we haven't done anything to the underside of the car. I also haven't rebuilt the engine because it really doesn't seem to need it - purrs like a kitten.

This is very much a "driving restoration" in that I haven't spent such a crazy amount of cash that I'm too scared to take the car on the road.

Some before pics for your amusement:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ten months only?...that is tremendous progress!...was there a lot of body work to do on the car?...what about mechanicals. how much did you do there?.....congrats on a nice job mate!
As for mechanicals, we mostly did stuff that you'd class as a consumable over the 30 year lifespan. So ball joints, wheel bearings, brake hoses, engine mounts, exhaust, bits and bobs for the carbies, a valve timing adjustment service revealed every single valve to be set wrong, radiator refurb, starter motor refurb, fuel tank resealed, etc.

Car was basically driveable on purchase, though would never have passed even a cursory inspection.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
..I've seen "SHAG" carpets from the '70's era....but never seen SHAG seats before!
Here's a question. Note on the before image that the seat back adjustment control is facing the handbrake. Now the seats have been put back in the car, they've been "swapped" so the controls are facing the doors.

On the passenger's side (which is the driver's side by design) there's enough room to put your hand down between the seat and the door and adjust the knob. On the driver's side (ie the right hand side) there's no room so you can only adjust the seat with the door open.

Which is correct? Knobs on the inside, or the outside? I'm thinking outside since that's where the release to flip the seat forward and access the back seat is located.

Even weirder, my previous GTV, which was also an auto and only about 78 engine numbers different from this one, the twiddly thing to raise the head rest up and down was on the same side as the seat back adjustment control. On this car, the twiddlers are on the opposite side.

Any clues?

·
Registered
561 Posts
All the adjusters and release thingies should be on the outside (to the door). Who knows why your other car had anything around the other way..... could be because all auto 105s that came to Aus were from SA, and their build quality made the Italian built ones look fantastic!

The reason your have trouble getting your hand down to adjust your seat is that the floor is wider on the left side of the tunnel. Not sure why, but remember that these cars were originally designed for LHD.

One other thing I noticed about these SA built autos was the exhaust manifolds were about 1/4" bigger all over than those fitted on the manuals. Compare sometime....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts