Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 85' gtv's front tires are wearing on the insides, ive tried a few places for a camber kit but cant find one, how do you go about fixing this problem. I have too much positive camber so it need to bring it out the other way. I am in melbourne, australia.
Thanks

·
Registered
398 Posts
You don't need a camber kit - some cars like Commodores lack camber adjustment on their suspension, and hence need a modification to put in a camber-adjustable setup, but the GTV can be adjusted by changing the shims between the body and the lower suspension arm pivot - can be done without disassembly, just loosening off the bolt and replacing the shim. My guess is that it needs a thinner shim. Either that or the bolt has loosened! Take it to an alignment place with some idea of Alfas. And I guess you should rotate the front tyres to the rear so you retain good control. Someone correct me if this is wrong!

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
It sounds like you have too much negative camber or your wheels have to much toe out.
Agreed. And it's easy to determine which one may be the cause. Look at the tire tread to see if there is any feathering on the sipes (sipes are the tread rubber blocks). Feathering is a raised edge of rubber on the side of the sipe that is caused by large slip angles. Feathering the outside of the sipe is toe out, feathering on the inside is toe in. If there is no feathering, inside tire wear would most likely be caused by excessive negative camber. There's a possibility however that both the toe and the camber angles are out of spec.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replies, i also forgot to mention it pulls slightly to the left. It was meant to have had an alignment when i got the new tires so i dont know what they adjusted exactly. It seems as though there arent enough camber shims on one side so its not possible to remove enough shims to get to to the camber i need. Someone advised to grind the arm, i dont know about that though.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Assuming that the tires and brakes are in proper order, a vehicle will pull to the side that has A) more negative caster and/or B) to a lesser degree, more positive camber.

There should be very thick spacers between the lower wishbone pivot arm and the body. It is a simple matter to machine down the spacers, even more so than necessary so shims can then be added for fine adjustments, to achieve proper camber settings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts