Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on a 74 GTV. I am hoping to use a newer head but it has the temp sender on top of the head. I would like the car, when done, to look original. Are the threads the same as the other plugs on the head? And, does anyone have a spare plug from an old head?
Lastly, are there any other differences in this head compared to earlier heads? I think this came from a 79-80s car.

Thanks!
John
GTV Head.jpg

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,994 Posts
Yes, the threads are the same. I found a spare plug on eBay. If none there maybe Larry at Alfa Parts Exchange will sell you one.

·
Registered
7,417 Posts
John, I have one NOS alloy plug that fits a 1600 for sure from my part number (105.00.01.568.00) (00605.15791.00.00) and am not sure it works on a 2000. The treads are 21mm by my estimate. I also have the aluminum NOS washer.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I had heard many many years ago that this is the location of an air pocket. In the heads with the sensor, one should crack it open to let the air out when replacing/refilling the coolant. It must only be an issue with a sensor since you don't want the sensor to be touching air. I believe this is a temp warning light and not a temp sendor. If removing the sensor for a model with no provisions, it might be a good idea to find a brass plug that can be unscrewed to let out the air. Maybe not an issue, but I've thought that if I were in that position, I might find a brass plug.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts