Votes: 19 86.4%
  • Part out

Votes: 3 13.6%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This GTC is located in New Orleans. The owner recently passed away and I am trying to help his wife as she has no interest or knowledge of cars. As can be seen in my attached photos, it is quite rusty. The worst area is the rear to the left of the license plate where there is no significant metal left. My photos do not show the extent of damage of that particular area. The only good news is that I am confidant that all the small parts and trim are present. The rare soft top mechanism appears intact and rust free.
The motor and tranny are obviously out. I took photos of two motors that could match the car and would come with it if anyone has any interest. I have not had enough time to get in this old mechanics shop to investigate things. More info and photos will be available down the road.
I am new to posting photos on the BB and see I can only place five. Other photos are posted in additional threads
All comments and advice are greatly appreciated; both pro and con.
Marshall

Attachments

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Looks pretty far gone in those pictures. What's the underneath look like. I don't think GTC bodies were very strong even when new. Based on all those pictures, I'd say it's not restorable economically.

·
Premium Member
22,250 Posts
On a car this rare, cool, and valuable, I think it's a crime to part out, no matter how bad it is, unless there's just nothing there to work with.
I say restore it, or pass it to someone who will. Don't part it.
Andrew

·
Super Moderator
11,221 Posts
Looks pretty far gone in those pictures.....Based on all those pictures, I'd say it's not restorable economically.
Andrew said:
On a car this rare, cool, and valuable, I think it's a crime to part out, no matter how bad it is, I say restore it, or pass it to someone who will.
And I agree with both of these quotes, even though they contradict each other!

I hate to see a rare car lost, but if I wanted a GTC, I certainly wouldn't start with this one. I think all you can do is to sell it as an intact car, and let the next owner grapple with the ethical dilemma.

Another factor: The widow who owns it probably needs the money. Would we expect her to pass up a high offer from someone who will use this car's bits to save another Alfa, simply on moral principals? Remember, she has no interest or knowledge of cars.

·
Registered
1965 Giulia Sprint GT
348 Posts
This car will be a huge job for someone; but its such a rare and unusual car that I hope someone takes it on. Ultimately, though, part of the decision to restore will depend on how much the car itself can be bought for.

·
Registered
222 Posts
i'm with the "restore it" crowd for all the above mentioned reasons, but this one certainly is not for the faint of heart, or light of wallet.

·
Premium Member
22,250 Posts
That's why there are restoration shops, to build up a perfect GTC, GTA, etc. from nothing more than a steering wheel and a scrap of firewall big enough to confirm the VIN. Some GTC nut will want to tackle it.
Andrew

·
Registered
816 Posts
We had a similar car at one time and sold it with a crashed GT-Jr parts car to combine into one car. Another interested party suggested getting a rolled over 1750-2000 GTV and making a "modern" GTC. Oddly enough, we ended up with a rolled 2000 a couple years later, but had already sold off the GTC project.
As an aside, I have 1 NOS rocker reinforcement piece for a GTC, if someone actually tackles this restoration.
KG

·
Registered
1 Posts
I need a home!

To Jay in San Juan Capistrano (and all you other guys) -- The widow (me) does not need the money. I just want to find a home for my husband's baby. These cars were his passion, and even if I'm not connected to the car I was devoted to him and I know he would want this car restored if possible. If you know anyone capable of handling this project, please contact them. It goes to the best offer -- whatever it is. They need to come get it and it's parts in New Orleans by the end of June because I have to close down this shop. Help me find a home for this orphan, please.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts