Alfa Romeo Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Amen to that.

I think they are using those holes to push fresh air into the engine bay as that is what would happen if you closed off the cabin
Pete
Possibly, but the air flow will be in the direction of least resistance.....is that the base of the screen or engine bay in this case? I've never tested it, so assume they would have. My bet is the base of the screen is lower pressure than the engine bay.
Usually the screen base is easily higher pressure than the cabin, but I reckon the engine bay would be the reverse especially at speed.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Won't be the first modification made to a race car that doesn't work as expected :D, but they were probably dreaming of the Alfa 158/159 F1 car but forgetting that that scuttle inlet is sealed all the way to the carburettor

Pete
Maybe you're on a different line of thinking to me.....
I was reckoning those holes in the GTA vent the hot, high pressure
under- hood air out via the windscreen base vent......this time used as an exit for the engine bay heat (sealed-off & not an intake for the cabin in this case).
In this country back in the period, GTAs used to run with the rear of the hood slightly raised with spacers to help the hot airflow out, ;when the officials didn't notice that is.

·
Administrator
17,803 Posts
Yes I understand your point of view, but there is a reason air flow for the cabin has their inlets there. Air wants to go in there not out, otherwise when you opened your in car air vents air would be sucked out of your car, but it doesn't it gets blown in instead.

BUT maybe that is why they have added that perspex deflector? That might alter the air flow/pressure so you are right and air is sucked out (from under the bonnet)

Pete

·
Registered
942 Posts
Yes I understand your point of view, but there is a reason air flow for the cabin has their inlets there. Air wants to go in there not out, otherwise when you opened your in car air vents air would be sucked out of your car, but it doesn't it gets blown in instead.

BUT maybe that is why they have added that perspex deflector? That might alter the air flow/pressure so you are right and air is sucked out (from under the bonnet)

Pete
Yes, as I said the air will go in direction of least pressure. Normally the cabin is lower pressure than the air vents, but I bet the engine bay at speed has a higher pressure than the vent, so the air goes out rather than in when the engine bay is connected to it via those holes. Blank off the cabin entry & you don't cook the driver too.

·
Registered
567 Posts
That's very hard and close driving for "vintage" racing. Gosh. Stippler seems very good.
Andrew
The track is unusually fast by modern standards. You can se the big engined cars (Cobras and E Types) going flat out in some sections...

·
Administrator
17,803 Posts
Talent behind the wheel helps. There are a lot of pretty hopeless but enthusiastic amateurs in historic racing, who look very ordinary when a real hotshoe joins the grid. Oliver Hart and Frank Stippler are the real deal.
Also they do not have the emotional connection with the car that the owner does. To a professional racing driver a race car is merely a tool
Pete

21 - 38 of 38 Posts