Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
The 33 stippler/furiani car was indeed bare metal, used to be red so whether that condition is temporary or permanent I don't know. Raced for many years in classic ETCC so I am pretty sure it is genuine.

But in the hands of Stippler in race 1 it provided some of the bravest, closest and most exciting racing of the weekend for p2. It lost places at the start of race 2 in perhaps the more cautious and less skilled hands of the owner. Stippler declared the alfa to be his favourite race car.

Race 2 saw the Hart GTA take over exciting chasing alfa duties with some outrageous moves that won the applause of an appreciative crowd. Finishing P2 at the flag. But I do worry for the life expectancy of young Hart.

The white kristensen car never got to show it's promise.

These performances sustain the Alfa reputation.

My favourite detail of the Stippler GTA is the lightened handbrake in the pic below. Not just drilled but countersunk as well
Automotive tire Gas Bumper Auto part Windshield

·
Administrator
17,823 Posts
The 33 stippler/furiani car was indeed bare metal, used to be red so whether that condition is temporary or permanent I don't know. Raced for many years in classic ETCC so I am pretty sure it is genuine.
Never any doubt about about it being genuine, just hope they paint her.

And very glad they have all finished the weekend without new battle damage
Pete

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Were any RHD

·
Registered
434 Posts
Paint only adds weight.....
I think it looks great.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I think elsewhere I saw that paint adds about 10kg, which on a GTA is around 1.3% (?) in theory less weight = a proportionately quicker car and 1.3% quicker lap times are definitely worth it (I know its not as simple as that but the point stands).

Goodwood doesn't operate to normal FIA classic regs including minimum weights and so cars there may have all sorts of stuff going on that you wouldn't see in normal races. I don't think the winning R code lightweight Galaxies were as light as they are now in period, nor did they corner so flat.

Still it was an aggregate race with an overall P2 and P4 for the 2 quickest Alfa's, beating the Lotus Cortinas. Entry to the race is by invitation and so excessively fast cars don't necessarily get invited back. There will probably always be a place there for the GTA's because they give such entertainment, look great and have such history in the era being honoured.

·
Registered
196 Posts
On the unpainted GTA, do you think the holes in the scuttle panel, with the small wind deflector are in place to extract hot air out of the engine bay? If so, I am sure the fresh air from the cowl is sealed off. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
strange construction. I saw the wind deflector more like the bugdeflector on the Giulia SS or also like on the first GTAs the small aluminium shiel they had. But the holes at this place - rather for sucking in engine smell to the interrior compartment...

·
Registered
943 Posts
On the unpainted GTA, do you think the holes in the scuttle panel, with the small wind deflector are in place to extract hot air out of the engine bay? If so, I am sure the fresh air from the cowl is sealed off. Any thoughts?
That was my thought exactly when I saw them. One assumes if that's the case, they must have checked the relative pressures under-hood and windscreen base to make sure it all flows the right way! Neat aid to engine cooling.
The cabin fresh air surely is sealed off...I don't think the driver needs to be heated up any further!
Maybe the unpainted body runs cooler for the driver too....;)
He seemed very pleased with the GTA as a car to actually drive. Amazed at how much fun you can have without endless down-force and grip.

·
Administrator
17,823 Posts
He seemed very pleased with the GTA as a car to actually drive. Amazed at how much fun you can have without endless down-force and grip
Amen to that.

I think they are using those holes to push fresh air into the engine bay as that is what would happen if you closed off the cabin
Pete

1 - 20 of 38 Posts