Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is a picture, captioned on the web site, as Ed Wachs on GTA #6 ( see post below) and some results from Wilmont Hills Wisconsin, Regional Races, August 1967. Alfa GTA's 1, 2 & 3 driven by Kwech, Wachs, Marino (probably Martino) taken from Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums.

The Wilmot Hills site has links to some other old (ghost) race course Info.

Ciao

Ken

Attachments

·
Registered
323 Posts
I think the photo shows not Ed Wachs but Horst Kwech in his 1967 tri-colori car, you can see his Australian kangaroo on the door and on his helmet. I am not sure but I think also that Ed Wachs acquired an ex Kwech/Winkler Ausca GTA

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
ED Wachs

Ed Wachs, shows up at many TA races and regionals over the years in RHD and LHD GTA's and in different Livery and numbers. I don't know of any Chassis Numbers being attributed to his racers. Did Ed Wachs own GTAs or did he rent rides or both?

Regards

Ken

·
Registered
649 Posts
John Martino was the third BS not Marino

Here is a picture of Ed Wachs on GTA and some results from Wilmont Hills Wisconsin, Regional Races, August 1967. Alfa GTA's 1, 2 & 3 driven by Kwech, Wachs, Marino taken from wilmothills.

The Wilmot Hills site has links to some other old (ghost) race course Info.

Ciao

Ken
Thanks for posting the link to the Wilmot site and results. The third place B-Sedan driver was John Martino not John Marino. John Martino purchased my GTA from Knauz and ran it in the Central region in 1967, winning the B-Sedan SCCA Central Division in 1967. John Martino worked at Ausca in 1967 and borrowed or rented one of Horst's latest 1967 tri-color car to take to the runoff's. At some point John painted the car yellow and Tom Blank repainted it red in 1968. John traded my car back to Knauz toward a 33/2 which he ran in 1968. John sent me these photos not sure of the track. John won national races at IRP and Road America.

Bob

1965 GTA RHD Corsa Ex-Kwech 1966 Trans-Am and B-Sedan Champion
1967 B-Sedan Central division Champion John Martino

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
323 Posts
Ed Wachs

By now I saw no pic that shows Ed Wachs in another car than his red RHD GTA. On photos of Wachs racing at 1968 St. Louis/19680707 Meadowdale/19681006 Kent/19710717 Elkart Lake/19720506 Lime Rock/19720730 Sanair/19721015 Laguna/19721028 Riverside, it seems to be always the same red car with the dark stripe, later with a yellow painted left side

19691005 at Riverside was the same car, but Wachs is not mentioned in the result list

19690803 Mont Tremblant show a green car with race no. 68, and your #752507 with no. 25, but Wachs is the only Alfa driver listed in the results as a DNF

And a photo, possibly from 19700719 Elkart Lake, show a red RHD GTA in different livery with race no. 1, of which the driver is unknown to me. Wachs is in the result list, but without race#

I have seen no photo of Wachs in a LHD car yet

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By now I saw no pic that shows Ed Wachs in another car than his red RHD GTA. On photos of Wachs racing at 1968 St. Louis/19680707 Meadowdale/19681006 Kent/19710717 Elkart Lake/19720506 Lime Rock/19720730 Sanair/19721015 Laguna/19721028 Riverside, it seems to be always the same red car with the dark stripe, later with a yellow painted left side

19691005 at Riverside was the same car, but Wachs is not mentioned in the result list

19690803 Mont Tremblant show a green car with race no. 68, and your #752507 with no. 25, but Wachs is the only Alfa driver listed in the results as a DNF

And a photo, possibly from 19700719 Elkart Lake, show a red RHD GTA in different livery with race no. 1, of which the driver is unknown to me. Wachs is in the result list, but without race#

Hi Martin, I think these pics by GTV4EVR from the 1969 TA at Mount Tremblant, that you mention above, show Ed Wachs on LHD GTA #68.

Ciao

Ken

Attachments

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Wachs on RHD GTA at Mid-Ohio 1967

Martin,

Here's a pic of Ed Wachs on RHD #8 at Mid-Ohio July 1967, Scanned from the November 23, 1968 issue of COMPETION PRESS & AUTOWEEK Vol.18, No.45, p.8. You may not have seen this one as you don't list Mid-Ohio in your previous post.

Ciao

Ken

Attachments

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1967, 68, 69, 71 Road America June sprints Entry lists

Here are some entry lists for the Road America June sprints in the years listed. 1970 had no Alfas entered in B- Sedan. Ed Wachs is prominent on GTA also find other GTAs, Alfas , Alfa power in other classes

Attached in PDF

Enjoy

Ken

Attachments

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think the photo shows not Ed Wachs but Horst Kwech in his 1967 tri-colori car, you can see his Australian kangaroo on the door and on his helmet. I am not sure but I think also that Ed Wachs acquired an ex Kwech/Winkler Ausca GTA
We now have a picture from the Trans Am thread showing Ed Wachs with Kangaroo on helmet as strange as that may seem.

Attachments

·
Registered
816 Posts
Ed Wachs

Hi All,
I showed that last photo to Ed Wachs a couple years ago at Elkhart Lake and asked about the helmet. I thought that it might be Kwech's helmet, but Ed said that he had a Kangaroo helmet, also. He mentioned the green car at Mt. Tremblant, saying thet it belonged to Martino and that he{Ed} had wrecked it. Do the results list the car as running or DNF? The top photo, is Kwech, not Wachs, as Martin points out. This is the original #3 that Kwech drove most of the 67 season, but wrecked at Riverside. See the photos in the Trans Am photo section.
Keith

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1972 June Olympia Sprints Lagua Seca Program hi-lites

Hi,

Here is the 1972 June Olympia Sprints Lagua Seca Program hi-lites. One Alfa red white and green, #4 entered by John Lorini. Colour scan in the GTA Art Thread of the cover GTA #17. Sorry about the quality of the last page as the pic at the top left is spectacular.

Ciao

ken

Attachments

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SCCA Mag Regional Point Standings

This information, in the word document attached, on the SCCA regional points standings for Alfa Drivers was kindly gleaned from the SCCA SPORTS CAR by BB member Erik Zurbriggen and sent to me.

For me it presents the possibility, previously unknown to me, that GTA 752507 was entered in as few regional races by Gaston Andrey and Bert Everett. I will be looking for further evidence of that participation if anyone can help.

Ciao

Ken

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
ausca spider

Here are some entry lists for the Road America June sprints in the years listed. 1970 had no Alfas entered in B- Sedan. Ed Wachs is prominent on GTA also find other GTAs, Alfas , Alfa power in other classes

Attached in PDF

Enjoy

Ken
A bit of a late topic highjack...

I finally looked at the old June sprint records for 68 and 69. Noted Tom/TJ Juckette entered with and Alfa/Alfa Duetto. This was one of the so-called Ausca spec spiders. One of two that were prepped by Alfa guru Paul Tenney in those days. Virtually a "GTA Spider". In the 71 sprints, Dick Davenport ran his C sedan GTV which was built to near GTA specs and eventually an SCCA national championship. (again a Tenney campaigned car)

Admittedly, none were true GTA's but shows the strong connection that Alfa/Don Black/Tenney had back in the day, hoping to make a dent in US sports car racing.

I believe Dr. Martinez has restored the old Davenport/Tenney car and has retained in his collection.

The Ausca spiders...who knows?

Gmack
Minneapolis
69 Spider
74 GTV

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Winkler on GTA wins It's USA debut according to Comp Press

Attached are 2 articles, in PDF, from Competition press, (sent by Erik) that report on Monte Winkler winning race 1 for sedans on GTA at the Refrgerator Bowl, Jan 9, 1966. Pete Van der Vate won the second race for sedans, i'm guessing in the same GTA.

They say this was the GTA's USA debut event. I had thought of Sebring as the first showing of GTA in USA.

First article is from Jan 19, 1966 and second from Apr 9 1966.

Regards

Ken

Attachments

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Hi Martin, I think these pics by GTV4EVR from the 1969 TA at Mount Tremblant, that you mention above, show Ed Wachs on LHD GTA #68.

Ciao

Ken
From post # 6, is the serial # for this car known? There is substantial information that after this car was rolled, the engine out of this car went to 613 913. I would like to document the serial # of the rolled car, pictured below, again from post # 6.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Martin, Gaston Andrey has told me that he did in fact take 752507 to Mount Tremblant for the 1969 Trans Am there, got it teched but as a late entry and a full registration was not permitted to race.

Regards

Ken

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
From post # 6, is the serial # for this car known? There is substantial information that after this car was rolled, the engine out of this car went to 613 913. I would like to document the serial # of the rolled car, pictured below, again from post # 6.
Hi Ellisio, have you seen documentation in a race report or else where about the Wachs crash of #68 at Mount Tremblant? I have heard nothing of where this GTA came from prior to this race.

FWIW

Ken

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Ken,

What I have are letter from Bruce Perry stating that the engine out of the GTA driven by Ed Wachs that crashed in the big car pileup Trans Am race at Le circuit Mt. Tremblant, St. Jovite, Quebec, Canada, Aug 3 1969, was installed in 613913.

I am not certain it is the car in the picture, I assumed so because it is widley mentioned, and the only GTA in the results. This of course does not mean it is that car, that there was only one GTA etc...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts