Alfa Romeo Forums banner
441 - 460 of 490 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I know of that car very well. Unfortunatly it also does not have original interior components. It has been modified as you can see to what they beleived was correct, but unfortunatly was not "original" as the factory cars were prepared by AD.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Origin of the conversion of the 'Balduzzi' GTAm

Hi vsharp,

Thank you for clearing up the crankshaft question!

So to conclude what we know so far; a 1800 cc Alfetta crankshaft in a AR00548 (1750 GTV) earmarked engineblock with a strange 'G' number carrying a monosleeve like the GTAm engines, has thrown a conrod. The block, the monosleeve, the piston, conrod and the crankshaft have been damaged. The head is not present so we don't know what happened to it. The block has been repaired by welding aluminium in the hole and was subsequently rebored/honed. The monosleeve was replaced as was the crankshaft because it is damaged beyond repair. A new conrod and a new piston are put in place.

This is believed to be the (spare?)engine from the 'Balduzzi' car of Eiso Bergsma. This car threw a conrod on the Zwartkop circuit in Southa Africa this year.
The same car was (according to Marcel Roks) bought by Jean Pierre Rochat, who took the car to Auto Delta in 1974 to have it officially converted into a full-race GTAm to correct specifications and with the correct parts. The car today carries amongst others a sliding block rear axle, twin ignition head and single brake booster (like the 1750 GTV).

Questions; Is this indeed the engine from the 'Balduzzi' car? Is it the real or a replacement engine? What's the chassisnumber on the 'Balduzzi' car? What the meaning of the 'G' in the engine number?

Any comments or additions on this summary?

Cioa, Olaf

Hello fellow members,

I had an interesting conversation this afternoon with one of the top Alfa mechanics and a top expert on GTAm in Holland, during Auto Moto Italia. He suggests that the conversion of this 'Balduzzi' car to GTAm specs in 1974 was not done by Autodelta in Italia but was done in Germany!

According to Marcel Roks and other sources, this car was bought by Jean Pierre Rochat, who took the car to Auto Delta in 1974 to have it officially converted into a full-race GTAm to correct specifications and with the correct parts. According to these sources, this can be proved with the invoices from Autodelta that are with the documentation of the car.
The car today carries amongst others a sliding block rear axle, twin ignition head and single brake booster (like the 1750 GTV).

I can't verify this. Any comments on this opinion?

Ciao, Olaf

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi all,
I recently decided to acquire the book ''Alleggerita'', that is about GTAs.
I found a second hand one on Amazon.com for US$ 625.00. Is this price correct or a sick joke? Any comments?
Is the book GTA, that Olaf refers to above available? At what price?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Hello Toydc,

That price is about correct at this point in time. The book is very sought after, very few were printed and we are told will 'never' be printed again. I think at the present price 'they' may be tempted to print some more.

I bought my copy about seven years ago when they were almost unavailable new and paid £ 120 on 'Amazon'. I have not regretted this purchase as it has given 'much' pleasure

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
And another 1750 dashboard

In one of the books mentioned a friend gave me an Auto Delta option list for the GTAm. It listed the fiberglass dash and it is mentioned in the FIA homologation papers too.

So can anyone post or send me to a picture of the 1300 or GTA drop down dash for the extra gauges? I want to build one of these for my car.

Thanks
Steve
Hello Steve,

Attached you will find another picture of a FIA approved 1750 GTAm (105.44 chassis 1357933/replica??) dashboard with some pictures of the car itself.

Ciao, Olaf

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
On Allegerita: Let me say I wouldn't sell my copy for even a 1000 dollars......
So yes, it's worth that!
Rik

·
Registered
416 Posts
Alleggerita

Dear Toydc,

I would tend to agree with some of the comments made on the book Alleggerita. If one knows the cars and wants to remember details and have photographs, which one wants to refer to, then the book is worth every American Penny. One drawback - no page numbers. Maybe having no page numbers is an advantage because then you need to know the book off by heart so you can find that 'illusive' bit of information. Some readers are fortunate enough to own a GTAm or parts and then they can refer to the original bits and then again I do not think a single GTAm is exactly the same as the next - that is the history and nature of these beautiful 'beasts'.

Have you had a chance to 'read' Alleggerita? If not, one of the Alfa Bulletin Board members, JustPeachy, may be in your area and maybe you could 'sample' it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi South Africa,
Would love to own a copy of that book, perhaps some day.
For the moment I am moving down in the world, some may say, my latest project is a 1962 Sprint Veloce. Still undecided on a colour currently off-white, perhaps someone can post a pic of something other than rosso. Should be completed early nex year, not in time for piper.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi guys,

I've noted that just peachey's GTA is in a photo on an article on the great Dawie de Villiers, a world renown expert on Alfa Romeos, for those who don't know him, in the latest Speed and Sound magazine.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Yeah, I would like some too! Cuore Sportivo :: - sportsvogne fra Italien

Now, for the car being eligible in historic races; if its a FIA race (which most historic races in Europe are), the car must be build according to its homologation - determined by its serial number. I thought GTAm's had their own serial numbers, but I just saw this at mobile.de. Apparently a street version of a GTAm - never heard of that before - and consequently has the correct serialnumber for a 1750 - and can within FIA rules be build into a GTAm. But is it just a regular 1750 - and does all GTAm have 1750 serial numbers? If so, it should be possible to race a GTAm replica within FIA regulations - otherwise the car can race in other "youngtimer" races with more liberal interpretations of the rules.

Anyways, the car comes incl. lightweight doors etc, and can be supplied totally rebuilt if wanted.
Has it been established that the GT Am had standard 1750 serial numbers? I thought this was one of the reasons why it is so hard to actually work out if a GT Am is real or not right? In regards to historic racing, here in Australia we have the Classic Adelaide, which has very strict rules on modifications for the 2 litre class. In theory though, if someone was to modify a 1750 to GT Am spec, it should gain entry as there would be no real way to know if it was a fake or not right?

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Well yes and no.
GTAms were standard type 105.51 cars pulled off the production line as completed cars and sold to Autodelta who then turned them into GTAms. All these GTAms should have a chassis # beginning AR 1530***.
It is the simplest thing in the world to verify if a car is a real GTAm or not.
With the correct chassis number anybody can do a Automobilismo Storico Alfa Romeo chassis number verification and in the case of our GTAm, #1530849, we get something like this from Marco Fazio....

With reference to your request we are informing you as follows.

According to our documentation files, the chassis number AR 1530849 originally corresponds to an Alfa Romeo 1750 GT Veloce USA (105.51), manufactured on the 27th January 1970 and sold on the 11th February 1970 to Autodelta from Settimo Milanese, Milan, Italy.
The body colour is “beige cava”, with black skai interiors.

Yours, Sincerely,

Marco Fazio.

Now is when it gets tricky. The above procedure only applies to the Autodelta owned and raced cars of which there were only a handful. If a car was bought privately and then sent to Autodelta to be turned into a GTAm, (which many were) there would be no record of this at Storico Alfa. Hence the fertile ground for replicas and the like.

·
Registered
416 Posts
'GTAm'

Hello Blue Flame,

Yes I agree that with the GTAm 'things get tricky' when trying to find an 'original' GTAm. There must be other cars in the same 'things get tricky' category.

It would be interesting to see your comments on the thread 'Where are all the GTAm's?'

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Slotemaker GTAm

Hello toy & members,

I saw a M4 scale 1:43 model of the Transavia Rob Slotemaker GTAm as he drove it in on Zandvoort circuit in 1970. The carmodel is # 28482. It even has the license plate of the real car!
You can buy it at the better shops for modelcars such as 'Autoland' in Hilversum in Holland.

Ciao, Olaf

Hi every body.

I just got back to S.A. from a couple of weeks in Europe. While there I was luck enough to come across a 1:43 scale GTAm, that i bought immediately. I guess it's as close I will ever get to own a GTAm.
The model is a M4 and cost me in Portugal E21.15. Part #4606. Check the site on M4 - Automodelli per collezionisti - Scale model cars for collector

Toy

Attachments

441 - 460 of 490 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.