Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would someone who had done plenty of current research, like JohnT, summarize vendors and the manufactures whose product they sell, for 13 inch diameter GTAm wheels?

I am aware that Classic Alfa sells Compomotive wheels from England, in 8 and 9 inch widths, but who is selling and making the 7, 8, 9 inch wide wheels made in Italy?

I am also curious why the GTAm wheels are ALWAYS so much more expensive than GTA replica wheels - must be supply/demand thing.

It is almost time for me to order a set, and the 7 inch wide wheels should keep me in 3BS in SVRA. The 8 or 9's will bump me up to 8BS where the 2 liter cars play.

I searched the forum for this but could not find answers.

Thanks

·
Registered
373 Posts
Those 7" versions on the Italian page look just like my 8" Compomotive's I got from Classic Alfa. Would be very surprised if they were not. The reason they are so expensive is that they only make a run of these once a year most years. They are licensed to the German Alfa supplier OKP or Akp..something like that and then they sell them out to the other suppliers.

Question would be why do you want 7"? Do you not have the flares? I am running the 8's and a 205/60 13 tire fits very well. Or you can spend a fortune for Avon tires and get a bigger tire in a metric size.

·
Registered
354 Posts
wheels

Hi Dave-
Not sure if I can be of much help, but here's what I have:
13" GTAm replica wheels w/ Dunlop M series-Classic Alfa
15" GTAm replica wheels- Alfaholics
15x7 Compomotive CXR w/ Avon DOT slicks-Performatek

I don't have pics of the 15" GTAm wheels yet.......

Attachments

·
Registered
354 Posts
motor

hi john... nice looking car,

do you still want my ts motor for that thing?

cheers

db
Hey davbert-
My father was the one interested in the motor. I believe he is still interested. I'll have him get in touch if he is interested and ready to pull the trigger. My car has a period 2 liter going into it (soon)!

JT

·
Registered
354 Posts
wheels

in some (most..) classes you cannot use 15"", is not homologated.
Valid point, Veep.
The Compomotives come in 13" through 17" I believe, so that could be a viable option for the class.
The German GTAm 13x7's look nice as well. I still think 13's are going to be tough to find the ideal tires for at the right diameter. We don't have a lot of options in the US above 50 series (at least that has been my experience).
I'll have to do some more research, but I thought SVRA allowed a wheel size 1 size larger in diameter, as long as the tire was at least 50 series. I also thought I read that 15" wheels were available/used on the GTAm.
Bottom line is that is all depends on the sanctioning body.
Dave has good reason for a 7" wheel, as he can still be eligible for a competitive class. I'm in a different boat. I beleive I'm going to get stuck in the class with the wide body, 300hp Porsches and such. So, I may be able to get away with 15's....we'll see. The main reason I bought them though was to get around the brake/13" wheel fiasco. Since my car is literally brand new build, I wanted to get it sorted out without having to deal with the 13" wheel problem for now. That doesn't explain why I have 2 sets though!

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Valid point, Veep.
The Compomotives come in 13" through 17" I believe, so that could be a viable option for the class.
The German GTAm 13x7's look nice as well. I still think 13's are going to be tough to find the ideal tires for at the right diameter. We don't have a lot of options in the US above 50 series (at least that has been my experience).
I'll have to do some more research, but I thought SVRA allowed a wheel size 1 size larger in diameter, as long as the tire was at least 50 series. I also thought I read that 15" wheels were available/used on the GTAm.
Bottom line is that is all depends on the sanctioning body.
Dave has good reason for a 7" wheel, as he can still be eligible for a competitive class. I'm in a different boat. I beleive I'm going to get stuck in the class with the wide body, 300hp Porsches and such. So, I may be able to get away with 15's....we'll see. The main reason I bought them though was to get around the brake/13" wheel fiasco. Since my car is literally brand new build, I wanted to get it sorted out without having to deal with the 13" wheel problem for now. That doesn't explain why I have 2 sets though!
so the 13x8 or 9's you have dont clear a normal 2liter caliper? if you arent using them maybe we can do a partial trade with your father?

regards

db

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I sent an inquiry to Compomotive as to whether they would make a 7 inch wide GTAm wheel, and they said no they are only available from them in 8 and 9 inch widths. They referred me to HienBrand to order a set of their product. They have another model of wheel, Classic MI, in 13x7 to fit an Alfa.

I looked at the italian website Veep listed the link for, but I do not read Italian and do not understand the pricing on the site. I did not look at a German site with 13x7 wheels.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
which brakeproblem? as far as I understand now you can put on the ventilated 250 diameter disks (Heinbrand) and put on the alfa romeo 75 caliper. There are cars running around with that setup with HTP I understand. That setup will brake good enough for the car they are on.

GTAM`s were never raced with 15""...and if , it had to be more than just one car to get in in a HTP for FIA. I didn`t find proof, and believe me I did try...

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
i had 13x8 bwa's and you have to file down the calipers or it will cut the inner wheel like a lathe. maybe that exaggerating but i hate to have a score around the circumference on the inner rim. not a good place for a continuous stress riser.

·
Registered
373 Posts
On my car with 13 X 8 and calipers mounted to the stock uprights we had to shave the tops of the Porsche 911s ATE calipers to fit. These are the homologated calipers for the GTAm.

·
Registered
748 Posts
GTAm brakes

To shave the tops of the 911s calipers ??? They are from Alu and just unshaved not so strong!!! The original GTAm upright has a separate caliper holder, which is bolted to the upright, and this is homologated.But you must use the special small brakedisk also from GTAm.

You also can use 13 inch wheels from BBS (bolted 3-piece) which fit without shaving.
To finish look at my brake.

Attachments

·
Registered
373 Posts
Yep Uli,

That's the other way but I did not have one nor the smaller disks. Make me 2 of those mounts please :) and I will have the disks made to fit!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Try Classic Alfa

I believe I have seen the GTAm caliper mounts at Classic Alfa and Alfaholics.

Check it out.

David Alexander
Riverside, IL

1977 Giulia Super 2.0
1976 Alfetta GT perpetual racecar project
1982 GTV6 3.0 24 valve
1987 Milano (75) 24hours of LeMons racer....we race next week at Gingerman Raceway...South Haven MI

·
Registered
354 Posts
Yep Uli,

That's the other way but I did not have one nor the smaller disks. Make me 2 of those mounts please :) and I will have the disks made to fit!
Ha ha X2 for me!
No doubt there are viable options out there. I also have the 911S ATEs (yes they do need slight shaving to keep from touching). I will get to the "solution" at some point.
Besides, I'm trying to convince my wife to let me buy some new wheels for the '66 Plymouth Belvedere vert! ;)

Dave A. - Where are you with your search for 13X7's??? Have you found anything that will work for you?

JT

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
13x7 GTAm Wheels

John,

It looks like the Italian site the VEEP sent the link to is the one to use for narrower wheels. I asked them for shipping info and have not gotten a reply yet but will continue to try to contact them. The 800 euro prlce is $1050 or so, which is a very good price if the shipping is not too high.

I will let the list know if the purchase goes though.

Thanks
Dave

·
Alfa parts dealer
98 Posts
GTAM wheels

Hello!

I would like to clear some things here regarding the GTAM wheels and caliper parts.

The 8 x 13" and 9 x 13" GTAM are made exclusivly for us by Compomotive in England. Copmpomotive is a worldfamous motorsport and OEM wheel supplier which is on the market for +- 40 years. We did make a complete new moulding for these wheels some time ago which was really expensive. The reason for our price for the wheels is simply the superb quality. I cannot say anything about the italian wheels, but some of my swiss customers bought them and came back to my wheels shortly later. I don´t know the material they use or if these wheels are heat treated. Compomotive uses only new aluminium and all wheels are heat treated.
I could have made the wheels for a fraction of the costs in other countries like Turkey, China or India, but I cannot control the quality over there.

Richard Norris from Classic Alfa sells my wheels like some other dealers around the world.

The adaptors for the 911S calipers are made for us. They were machined in Germany and are running on several cars in historic racing here in Germany and Europe. They can be used with the alluminium 911S caliper or with the later steel calipers from the later Porsches.

Thanks

Hein Brand
HEINBRAND AUTOMOTIVE

Attachments

1 - 20 of 43 Posts