Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I am looking for a well constructed metal fendered (ideally NOT fiberglass fenders) GTAm body with stock interior (NOT a gutted race car).

Metal fenders preferred.

Color, wheels,motor are all irrelevant. Ideally with NO motor.

Somewhere in continental North America ideally.

Call Jon Purcell 760-6305747 or email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Jon, if you are looking to build or buy a GTAm replica, you should attempt to find a 4-headlight, small taillight car. In the U.S., that means '69 only. A 71-74 large taillight chassis can be modified. You didn't explain why you are looking for metal fenders? Are you aware that the original GTAm's had fiberglass flares?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

You're right!! ...a small taillight 69 GTV is what I need. Thanks for the advice! I know the original GTAm had fiberglass but I was wanting to make a copy that did NOT require a roll cage to compensate for the the major loss of structural rigidity that occurs when the fenders are sawed off. Some fabricators are good enough to make this happen I have heard.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I'm certainly not an expert on structural integrity, but I would be very surprised if cutting back the fenders for flares made much of a difference. If you are making a proper replica, you will need to rivet the flares to the body anyway. So you won't have to cut the steel back very far. No doubt you can find someone to make steel flares, but it sounds very expensive and unnecessary. Either way, good luck with your project.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Yes, the fenders are cut up quite a bit to clear the wider wheels and tires, but no it does not affect the uni-body. Go on the GTA, GTAm board and search for the proper way to cut the metal fenders back as they did in the day. Not a big deal. Also, the flares are rivited on but many cars from the period filled them over for a smooth look and others left the rivets showing. Your choice. Have fun!

·
Registered
396 Posts
You're right!! ...a small taillight 69 GTV is what I need. Thanks for the advice! I know the original GTAm had fiberglass but I was wanting to make a copy that did NOT require a roll cage to compensate for the the major loss of structural rigidity that occurs when the fenders are sawed off. Some fabricators are good enough to make this happen I have heard.
When you cut the original metal off the body yes you do loose some rigidity. If you use correctly made fiberglass flares and rivet them over the cut fenders you gain you rigidity back, since there are curvatures on the flare. The only thing you will gain from metal flares is more weight and bando. It is really hard to find and costly to make correct metal flares. And the is really no need.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts