Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
What do I think?

Hi All,

No relation to this car but can someone tell me more regarding the following Alfa:

Alfa GTAm Prototype

Best,

Rodrick
Hello Rodrick,

No chassisnumber is mentioned, no papers are shown, one black and white picture is shown, a scarce description of the car, I would find it very difficult to say something about this car based on the available information.

Quote "The car in our auction is a rather special one, it is basically a Giulia Sprint GT but it was heavily modified in period to race specification just as the the forthcoming GTA´s was. It was used as a development car for a very special engine, basically the forthcoming GTAm but with 16 valves and a Lucas injection system." Unquote
This text seems to suggest that this car was developed side by side with the Giulia Sprint 1600 GTA? Could be interesting to research further.
Why then was the link with the GTAm suggested? Because of the displacement of this engine or the fact that is is using fuel injection?

My questions would be:

- when were the modifications done (including the sequence in time)?
- what was done (including the sequence in what modifications were done)?
- by whom was this done?
- where was this done?

Quote "This prototype engine was, according to the vendor, later used in a World endurance speed boat record attempts by boat maker Molinari." Unquote.
If words like "according to the vendor" are used, in my opinion it is wise to investigate further.
We know that Autodelta developed "Marine" and formula 3 (also F2?) versions.

Let's wait and see what other members know about this car. The fact that it is registered with RIAR, means more is to be known about the history of this car.

Ciao! Olaf

·
Registered
141 Posts
GT Am?

Strange story this one offered by COYS. In my modest opinion it is mix of fantasy and facts. A lot of incorrect data about engine specs (for GT Am) no trace of VIN nor body specs for offered car extremely expensive for one without story, racing curriculum and not even homologated (as I understand from the given text). And then, photos. The fourth one is not GT Am but 1300 GTAJ “Stradale” (N° 24) and has nothing to do with other two, again different between them. Body work in question is late one without visible rivets on the color photo, and b&w image shows strange car with back lid spoiler never present on the 65-73 car (some Gr. 5-Angelini silhouette had something like that, but later), and certainly non Alfa wheels. Good material for deep investigation. Anyhow, as RIAR number is visible, it is possible to ask them about this specific car. Obtaining the VIN, and writing to Centro Documentazione, also Marco Fazio could answer some vital questions.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Nik from Coys here. Due the scarcity of information and lack of photographs of any quality at all some of the photographs on line are archive Pictures. We are waiting for the owner and the car and it´s histyory file. I will keep alfabb posted as the history file is in the car on a truck. Usually we want all the documentation to catalogue the car early but this car was entered in the very last minute.

Chassis number on the Giulia Sprint Gt is AR603142

Nik

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
Nik, is this car essentially a steel-bodied Sprint GT with a hot engine and other development work? A test mule, in other words?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Updated information on this car?

Nik from Coys here. Due the scarcity of information and lack of photographs of any quality at all some of the photographs on line are archive Pictures. We are waiting for the owner and the car and it´s histyory file. I will keep alfabb posted as the history file is in the car on a truck. Usually we want all the documentation to catalogue the car early but this car was entered in the very last minute.

Nik
Hello Nik,

Did you have the chance to get the information on this car's history? I am curious as to the registration of RIAR and documents like the Libretto and other documentation (Autodelta papers?) with the car.

By the way, thank you for the photographs of the enginebay of # AR 603142.

Ciao, Olaf

·
Registered
208 Posts
Autodelta made 2 prototype 1.5 litre 16 V fitted to Giulia sprint chassis. I know of one in a private collection and it has the large GTAm flares and was a ex-works car, this could be the other

Attachments

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
Fascinating car, just gets more interesting. I have not yet read my new Alleggerita from cover to cover, but I did not know that a 1.5 engine existed. Must have been a screamer ....

Did the car sell on Saturday, Nik? Despite being an hour away, I could not make it up there.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Giulia Sprint 1500 16V Iniezione

Fascinating car, just gets more interesting. I have not yet read my new Alleggerita from cover to cover, but I did not know that a 1.5 engine existed. Must have been a screamer ....

Did the car sell on Saturday, Nik? Despite being an hour away, I could not make it up there.
Hello Alex,

I had a look at the Coys website and saw that the car is to be auctioned on saturday the 18th of January at "Interclassics & Top Mobiel" at the MECC in Maastricht in The Netherlands.

Let's hear what the additional information of Coys has to tell about this car.

Ciao, Olaf

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
:oops:

Sooooo many GTAs and GTAms coming onto the market at the start of 2014 that I got confused between this one and the 1300 GTA (also sold by Coys) which is the subject of the other thread.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Same Giulia Sprint GT 1500 16V Iniezione?

Hello GTV6SA,

What strikes me about your last photograph is the startnumber on the door. If I am correct, it reads # 32. That is the same number as on door of the Giulia Sprint 1500 16V Iniezione in the photographs of Coys. Could this be the same car? I'll check for other similarities. Source of the photograph is Coys.

Ciao, Olaf

Attachments

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Additional information

Nik
Hello Nik,

Did you have the chance to add information concerning AR 603142?
I am very curious as to what the documentation, that is with the car, has to say.
The info on the Coys website is the same at the time of writing.

Ciao, Olaf

1 - 20 of 68 Posts