Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning,
I've got 2 oil coolers. the tag on one of them says it's a GTAm (style, type?) cooler. I think it's from a shankle kit as it came with some other shankle stuff (including a shankle remote filter kit...that's what the other directions are for).

They've never been used..so assume they are some sort of repro. The manufacturer is IPRA with "H6" stamped on them in paint.

Has anyone seen this? can you confirm what they are?

thx

Kevin

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,304 Posts
Try Ken Geiger in Canada, or Keith Goring @ Alfas Unlimited, the both have GTA and GTAm knowledge. The IPRA is Italian, and these do differ from the street GTA coolers. Back in the day, we used to replace all the factory stuff with aircraft coolers and aeroquip lines. My restoration stuff is all that type. Sorry I can't help more.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Try Ken Geiger in Canada, or Keith Goring @ Alfas Unlimited, the both have GTA and GTAm knowledge. The IPRA is Italian, and these do differ from the street GTA coolers. Back in the day, we used to replace all the factory stuff with aircraft coolers and aeroquip lines. My restoration stuff is all that type. Sorry I can't help more.
Sorry I can not help. Are they aluminum and can you provide dimensions? I take it that the tubes each end are for mounting purposes??

Ken

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They're 5" x 8 5/8"
Aluminum
13 row (if I counted right)

I've got the corresponding plates to go behind the filter as well ( cartridge style filter)

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
contact brad alfa ricambi in fresno.... they took over all the john shankle stuff.

im sure he would know

cheers

db

·
Registered
816 Posts
Oil Cooler?

Hi
These are part of a kit that came in a red plastic box from Shankle or Ricambi. We used them on GTV-6's and they probably also fit 4 cyls. They can be used on just about anything. They are not actually Autodelta GTAM.
Keith
Alfas Unlimited

·
Registered
686 Posts
They're 5" x 8 5/8"
Aluminum
13 row (if I counted right)

I've got the corresponding plates to go behind the filter as well ( cartridge style filter)
Unlike GTAs which had Alfa specific coolers, GTAms tended to have what was the common F1, sportscar/formula car generic coolers. probably the English Serck brand. At least this is what came in a box of bits with my GTAm and what I have noted in pictures of others. Dimension are approx. 13" X5" wide (16 rows wide). Light grey/silver color, 16mm internal line diameter. Similar in general design and type to what you have.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Kevin,

That is not much of a cooler if you are running a 2 liter full out. I don't remember what year your car is but if you run a small one like this you will need it to the side of the radiator like in the day and not in front of the radiator....don't ask me how much I have spent in repairs learning this. If your car is a 68 on GTV it will require cutting metal out of the radiator support member and the fender inner liner to get air to it and to make it fit. Then they shielded this air with whatever to get it over the cooler only.

I still have a cooler double this size in front of my radiator but now have a huge Griffiths core radiator(like the Alfaholics GTAM one) to compensate.

·
Registered
373 Posts
One more thing. These older cores are not as efficient as the newer ones with their spiral flow tecnology which spins the oil or water while it flows through the tubes.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
steve

good points!

i've got something together to trade them for a more modern cooler. these are more appropriate for a resto i think,

Kevin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts