Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The new issue of the Alfa Owner shows a photo of factory "2 liter GTAM". The car pictured has a stepnose (GTAjr??) body shell with what look like GTAM flares and 13' GTAM wheels.

What an interesting hybrid!

Addendum: Having backtracked and persued the rather plentiful and detailed photos here, I have removed my over enthusiastic
questions because they lack relevance.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alfa Owner is wrong :eek: it's just a GTAJr Corsa.

I wonder if Alfa ever officially put a 2L engine in the GTjr bodyshell? It looked like the developement technology was moving in that direction but then it just stopped, probably because of the emerging shift to the transaxle cars.

·
Registered
11,882 Posts
I wonder if Alfa ever officially put a 2L engine in the GTjr bodyshell? It looked like the developement technology was moving in that direction but then it just stopped, probably because of the emerging shift to the transaxle cars.
Hmmm, Alfa did develop them, ie. 1600GT, then 1750GTV and then 2000GTV ... which is a GTjr with a 2000 engine and a few modernisation revisions.

The car in the question displays a typical race car life cycle, ie. it probably raced as a 1300 for a while and then to keep it competitive had a 2 ltr stuffed in it ... but its still a GTA Jr.
Pete

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm, Alfa did develop them, ie. 1600GT, then 1750GTV and then 2000GTV ... which is a GTjr with a 2000 engine and a few modernisation revisions.

The car in the question displays a typical race car life cycle, ie. it probably raced as a 1300 for a while and then to keep it competitive had a 2 ltr stuffed in it ... but its still a GTA Jr.
Pete
I wonder if Alfa ever put 2L motors in the GTAjr bodyshell? Surely, somone at Portello, Autodelta, or some private tuner must have done it. Here in the states the AUSCA guys built a series of Duetto's with full GTA running gear. I saw one of those cars parked at my university when I first moved to San Antonio in 1968. I was puzzled about what it was. It was quite nicely done, btw, and I still kick myself because it was sold and I didn't buy it!

·
Registered
11,882 Posts
I wonder if Alfa ever put 2L motors in the GTAjr bodyshell? Surely, somone at Portello, Autodelta, or some private tuner must have done it.
Yes done many times (but not off the production line like that), by Autodelta and by the race team that ran this car in question. T33 v8's have also been put in GTA's ...

Pete

1 - 7 of 7 Posts