Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hallo everybody,
I'm trying to make a quote for a project GTAM replica. I know there are quite a few bare heads here and there. So I'm looking for valves and related components (guides, springs, retainers and so on), and expecially for their prices.

Any suggestion about where to look for them?

The web seems not to be so helpful in this case...

Thanks

Alberto

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Hallo everybody,
I'm trying to make a quote for a project GTAM replica. I know there are quite a few bare heads here and there. So I'm looking for valves and related components (guides, springs, retainers and so on), and expecially for their prices.

Any suggestion about where to look for them?

The web seems not to be so helpful in this case...

Thanks

Alberto

I have heard of valves being custom made from blanks by custom valve supply companies for these GTAm heads but don't know any such suppliers. If you find them, they most likely will have help for the other components such as springs and retainers. The company I heard about was most likely in the USA.

Ciao

Ken

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for replies.
Actually I don't have ANY of the internal components. I've contacted C&B for cams, but I don't know where to look for valves & co.

Do anybody have anything? Also used.

Alleggerita, the follower size is different in height or diameter?

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
Alberto,

If you know the precise dimensions of the components, Arrow Precision would be able to supply the cam followers; there are countless valve suppliers but G&S Valves are known for being able to produce one-off quantities, although maybe a little 'old school'. There's plenty of old information on AlfaBB about considerations when choosing materials relating to valve seats and guides, retainers, spring weights/pressures etc etc. Bear in mind that you will need to match the surface hardness of the valve stem tips and followers to the known surface hardness of the valve shims and cam lobes; standard Alfa hardness is 57.5 - 59 Rockwell.

I'm surprised you haven't found any help closer to home. Do you know TurboMotors in Cesano Maderno, and AlfaCar near Torino? Just a couple of suggestions, there must be many others.

Alex.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm surprised you haven't found any help closer to home. Do you know TurboMotors in Cesano Maderno, and AlfaCar near Torino? Just a couple of suggestions, there must be many others.

Alex.

That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks. And Cesano Maderno is only 5 miles from were I live... thanks!

Clearly there's something strange in how search engines work...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
they look very nice, I will ask them a quote when I will found original components to measure.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
thanks for replies.
Actually I don't have ANY of the internal components. I've contacted C&B for cams, but I don't know where to look for valves & co.

Do anybody have anything? Also used.

Alleggerita, the follower size is different in height or diameter?
diameter, not sure about height.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I believe head studs are different. The head itself will fit the standard block, that is 1300 GTA and Nuova Giulietta, 1600 and 1750. For 2000 the combustion chambers need to be machined and offset, as per regular 2000 head. In order to this, a 1300 narrow angle head is probably necessary - the same casting but machined size of combustion chambers is different. There are a few people who have doe this set-up. You'll want a very good machinist ...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes, studs are different, because they are longer and have three different diameter with three different treads. The first for head nuts, the second for cam bearing nuts and the third for cam cover nuts. All three in every single stud!:eek:

Narrowing a head is a hard work even for engineers... :D

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Standard block with GTAm head

Will a GTAm head fit on a standard block?

I believe so. Have seen a 1750 engineblock with the monosleeve. This block was fitted with an 1800 Alfetta crankshaft (confirmed on alfabb) and a GTAm head. Have a look at the pictures.

Ciao, Olaf

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Zagato, in the second photo you see the cam cover with two row of nuts for each cam. The inner rows are fitted on the upper part of the head studs.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Cam Cover off GTAM head

I have posted a picture of a GTAM cylinder head with the cambox off so you can see the tops of the headstuds to understand how it all comes together.
Also I have found this picture of the stepped headstuds/Monosleeve/pistons that are required for this engine.

Amelio.

Attachments

·
Registered
226 Posts
A minor detail

yes, studs are different, because they are longer and have three different diameter with three different treads. The first for head nuts, the second for cam bearing nuts and the third for cam cover nuts. All three in every single stud!:eek:

Narrowing a head is a hard work even for engineers... :D
every single stud? Except for the other 4 alternating head studs which just have a single nut on them? 6 studs with 3 nuts each and 4 more with a single nut for a total of 10 studs per head?
Ross

·
Registered
114 Posts
GTAM headstuds

Here is a picture of the GTAM head and it shows the shorter studs (That are located in the top of the head only) which hold the camshaft top bucket and cambox in place.

Amelio

Attachments

·
Registered
226 Posts
Here is a picture of the GTAM head and it shows the shorter studs (That are located in the top of the head only) which hold the camshaft top bucket and cambox in place.

Amelio

Amelio,
Thanks for pointing out the 6 additional studs for a total of 16
In American speak:the six outer short blind bottom studs(with 3 different threads or is it only 2?) provide clamping force between the cam bearing "saddles" and the cam bearing caps. These studs then along with the smallest diameter of the engine (block & head) studs clamp the valve (cam) cover (cambox or rocker box, across the pond terms) in place. The camshaft followers (bucket followers or valve spring buckets) are not pictured.The six small nuts holding down the valve cover are the most noticeable difference between a GTAm head and a Nord head.

Query: What is the thread pitch of the blind bottom of the small stud?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts