Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
GTAmaggiorata full alluminum:

Dear Alfisti:
First we would like to congratulate with all of you for your site, the same that has been consulted by me and my partner these last months and where we have found very professional and full of valuable information.
We purchased a very interesting rust free Alfa in a public auction of the Vintage Car collection of a known local banker.
Our Alfa chasis number is: 848012, which belongs to a white Giulia Sprint GTA producted the 1st of July 69, and sold at Rome.
This Alfa ended in Quito-Ecuador (South America), in 1977/8, and arrived as it is now with the following racing features:
  • GTAm engine (84.5/88.5, bore/stroke)
  • Borani break booster
  • Borani clutch booster
  • "Slittone" type rear suspension*
  • Ventilated front disks
  • Oil radiator
  • 48mm Dell'Orto carburators*
  • Magnesium oil pan
  • Magnesuim valve cover
  • Magnesium clutch bell*
  • Magnesuim Gold Campagnolo four stroke wheels*
  • Racing seat
NOTE: * Not in car any more, but available...

The car's engine was rebuilt 2 years ago by the local Alfa Romeo expert racer/mechanic Victor Pilicita.

please refer to attached p

We kindly request your help to rebuild the History/Palmares of this car from its production (1969) till it's arrival to Ecuador (late 70's).

Warm Regards,

Gonzalo Freile Ardiani
Mobile: +593-9-4828-356

View attachment 212924

View attachment 212927

View attachment 212928

View attachment 212929

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
848012, which belongs to a white Giulia Sprint GTA producted the 1st of July 69

sorry for the mistake , is the first time

Dear Alfisti:
First we would like to congratulate with all of you for your site, the same that has been consulted by me and my partner these last months and where we have found very professional and full of valuable information.
We purchased a very interesting rust free Alfa in a public auction of the Vintage Car collection of a known local banker.
Our Alfa chasis number is: 848012, which belongs to a white Giulia Sprint GTA producted the 1st of July 69, and sold at Rome.
This Alfa ended in Quito-Ecuador (South America), in 1977/8, and arrived as it is now with the following racing features:
  • Borani break booster
  • Borani clutch booster
  • Ventilated front disks
  • Oil radiator
  • Magnesium oil pan
  • Magnesuim valve cover
  • Magnesium clutch bell*
  • Racing seat

The car's engine was rebuilt 2 years ago by the local Alfa Romeo expert racer/mechanic Victor Pilicita.

We kindly request your help to rebuild the History/Palmares of this car from its production (1969) till it's arrival to Ecuador (late 70's).

Warm Regards,

Gonzalo Freile Ardiani

View attachment 212924

View attachment 212927

View attachment 212928

View attachment 212929

Attachments

·
Registered
2,324 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dear Alleggerita:
Thankyou very much for the suggested links.
Unfortunatelly our car did not belong to Hernan Ampudia.
He had an Autodelta prepared GTA 1600 with which he won the '74 Ecuadorian national Championship.
His car was sold and sent back to Europe some years ago. I will confirm you when and where.
Regards,
Maggiorato Ecu

·
Registered
373 Posts
Just so everyone knows what this gentleman is doing in the context of full disclosure. He and his partner bought this car with the help of individuals on this boards knowledge(no problem). His sole intent is to gain the history of the car so that they can put it up for sale at auction(no problem). But, when the discussions started his partner had owned the car for quite a while but never used it and he was really a motorcycle guy. So he wanted to sell the car. Next he solicited offers on the car and another GTA he had?......and then all of the sudden he had OBTAINED the car, interested parties could re-submit offers but it was going to international auction.......can't wait to hear the next part of the story!

So with that said, let the help begin again for these guys......now that they really own the car?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Dear Alfisti:
  • Borani break booster
  • Borani clutch booster
  • Ventilated front disks
  • Oil radiator
  • Magnesium oil pan
  • Magnesuim valve cover
  • Magnesium clutch bell*
  • Racing seat

Warm Regards,

Gonzalo Freile Ardiani

View attachment 212924

View attachment 212927

View attachment 212928

View attachment 212929
Congratulaions on your fantastic project; another GTA back from the edge!
One correction to your title heading if I may. Your car is a genuine GTA with a larger GTAm engine fitted; this makes it an uprated GTA, NOT a GTAm.
A GTAm is a production steel 1750 car, based on the 1750 USA version homologated for European Gp2 racing.
The correct type name is carried by the chassis and its type number, not mechanical additions. A GTA with wide arches and a larger engine fitted is not a GTAm, any more than a 1750GTAm with arches removed and 1600 engine fitted would become a GTA. It is not possible. Similarly a Giulia Sprint GT with twin ignition engine fitted does not become a GTA.....
I mention this because it is amazing how many Alfisti still get these models confused, and eroneous labels on different cars continue to make this issue more confusing.
So, again congratulations on your GTA project. I hope members here can help with your GTAs history.
Best regards,
Vince.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Does the engine block have a monosleeve liner? Does it have a serial #/AD # on it? It looks like a later block that was modified for the standard cooler set-up. Is it a 2000 block by any chance? That would point to the car potentially having a 1300cc engine in that the 1300 combustion chamber on the narrow angle head can be modified to run a 2000 block ...

1300s in a 1600 chassis were more common then a 2000.

Any evidence of the car ever being fitted with fuel injection, e.g. fuel injection mount on block, fuel return-line, mount for a high pressure fuel pump and a swirl tank in the trunk in addition to the dual Bendix set-up? Block in the picture looks like carburated Euro block.

Is the 2nd brake booster really hooked up to the clutch? It is more likely that it was originally intended for a dual circuit BMC that was fitted on the GTAm and some GTAs. Does the car have a dual circuit BMC?

Any pictures of the front suspension? Brake discs/calipers? Aluminum ATE?Does it have the small GTam knuckle risers?

Pictures of the original racing seat and interior would be great ...

Here's a thread on some GTAs that were built with/raced with the 2000 engine:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/giulia-gta-gta-1300-jr-gtam-1965-1975/73828-gta-2000-a.html

[*]GTAm engine (84.5/88.5, bore/stroke)
[*]Borani break booster
[*]Borani clutch booster
[*]"Slittone" type rear suspension*
[*]Ventilated front disks
[*]Oil radiator
[*]48mm Dell'Orto carburators*
[*]Magnesium oil pan
[*]Magnesuim valve cover
[*]Magnesium clutch bell*
[*]Magnesuim Gold Campagnolo four stroke wheels*
[*]Racing seat
[/LIST]

·
Registered
373 Posts
The reason he thinks it's a GTAm is they have removed the aluminum fender flares that were on the car when first shown along with the motor. Have tried to explain this to one of them for a while now. The car is a GTA with a correct vin # for the later cars built with jr. left over bodies that was modified to run a 2 liter with flares. The only questions are who modified it and who drove it.

Here is the interior pic along with another engine pic. I had 20 or so from the so called owner / bidder / partner / auction seller / ............ but tossed most of them after the truth was getting harder and harder to ascertain. Wasted a lot of time and some money of mine and other on the board so why not keep investing / helping? The stand up thing for them was to just tell the truth from the start and short cut a lot of BS. I refuse to let them come on the board and continue any type of charade though.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Great pictures. Different engine or at least different head on the car then. Looks again like a later block but with an original generator on it. No Mag sump. When and where was it changed? Where did the narrow angle stuff come from?

Also, aluminum fender flares, if that is indeed the case, are curious. They may indicate that the conversion was done in South America where original parts were not easily obtainable. The cars I am familiar with all had fiberglass flares ...

The reason he thinks it's a GTAm is they have removed the aluminum fender flares that were on the car when first shown along with the motor. Have tried to explain this to one of them for a while now. The car is a GTA with a correct vin # for the later cars built with jr. left over bodies that was modified to run a 2 liter with flares. The only questions are who modified it and who drove it.

Here is the interior pic along with another engine pic. I had 20 or so from the so called owner / bidder / partner / auction seller / ............ but tossed most of them after the truth was getting harder and harder to ascertain. Wasted a lot of time and some money of mine and other on the board so why not keep investing / helping? The stand up thing for them was to just tell the truth from the start and short cut a lot of BS. I refuse to let them come on the board and continue any type of charade though.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We are very sorry and sad for Scole's confusion...
There where two different GTAs for auction the day we purchased our GTA, so we are talking of two different Alfas!
One GTA with chasis number 613794 having a 1600cc twin spark engine (shown in Scole's photo), was awarded to an important national car collector, and a second GTA, the one we were awarded and is the subject of this forum, the GTA with chasis number 848012 having the 2 liter narrow head engine shown in these recent pictures.
Hope this clarifies the confussion...

We have in fact removed all the paint and fiber glass (local work) off our Alfa with the goal to discover and show any hidden defects in order to transparent the car's actual condition. We have videos with the Testa Stretta engine running, if someone is interested please let us know.

Gonzalo Freile Ardiani
[email protected]
tel.: +593-9-4828-356

·
Registered
373 Posts
We placed an offer on both of these cars to your partner based on the information given to us that you owned the cars. We were NEVER told that you were using our knowledge to assist you in bidding on a car. Absolutely NO confusion on our part. We completely understand you and your partner.

Attached is a pic of the second GTA which you did not acquire that goes with the motor posted in error earlier. :)

Attachments

·
Administrator
14,297 Posts
Are you separating the narrow angle headed engine from this car? Why? I'd build it up as it last raced myself. A lot if gta's must have ended up with these modifications ... part of making them into winners.

Did this car have any earlier history?
Pete

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dear PSK,
We took off the engine in order to better understand the actual Alfa conditions, and we have confirmed it is completely rust free, and it has not suffered major accidents.

After a pacient re-start-up process, we have verifyied/confirmed that the engine is in excellent running conditions (we knew it was rebuilt 2 years ago and that it had done only very few kilomenter since then), our plan is to put it back again in the GTA.
We will soon load pictures with the engine and cabin interior accessories back in the car...
Warm Regards,
Maggiorato Ecu

1 - 20 of 134 Posts