Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a specific rule in the 2.5 Challenge that bans the GTAm fender flairs? All the cars I see for that don't have them.

On the other hand, all the Alfas in my area (Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois) all seem to have them. Ok, not all, but there's enough that when I build my Jr into a race car, it will have them...

Just curious...

Eric

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
GTAm flares are allowed because it is a period correct flare. There are three cars out here that do run the flares, Jon Norman (GTV), Niel Hadfeld (GTA Jr.), and Gianfranco Masdea (GTV)

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Anthony,
Why do you think people don't run them, I see your car does not?...

The advantage I see is 1) either more tire width or larger possible offset and 2) some weight advantage (yes, small).

Besides, I think they look real cool...

About the offset- I recall a conversation with Alan Ward I once had, and he suggested getting that front tire as far out as I could... Haven't tried it yet...

Eric Storhok

p.s. the blue car in the Challenge photos is very pretty...

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thread technical issue- I've added a follow up, and it still says there is only the one reply. I've even edited the message.

Very odd...

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Eric,

In the 2.5 Challenge, max wheel width is 7", max tire 205 and track cannot exceed 1/2" of OE; hence the flairs are not needed and do not look as "full" as the eye would like.

Alfa-Sport

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,905 Posts
Alfa-sport,

Surely you can race a GTAm in this series as Alfa Homologated them. Thus surely the width is as wide as a GTAm not a standard GTV????

Pete

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
turbolarespider:

people dont run flairs mainly for two reasons...

1. tire rules are a little tough. 205/60 is the biggest you can go and 15x7 is the biggest and widest you can go. you can run a 14x7 with zero offset and 205/60 if you wanted to, it fills in the fenders.

2. yes, you do save weight. there is a weight limit for 2 liter alfa's of 2200 with driver after the race. by taking too much weight off, you will have to add weight by using lead. the only advantage to this is you can distribute the weight where you want it.

psk:
alfa did homologate the gtam but it was never homologated by the scca...at least the motor wasn't. only twin plug head allowed is the gta.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah, I see. I didn't read the track width rule.

Hopefully by the end of this year, I'll start the build of my Jr into a race car. Perhaps briefly even a GRM challenge car, but the end result will be a 2.5 Challenge car.

Alas, unless something unusual happens, we will not likley share a track, just too far away.

Eric

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
the first year the 2.5 challenge happened, we tried to get it going on the east coast as well. the idea was to have two series, one here in the west and another in the east which would result in a east vs west challenge at the end of the season at somewhere like daytona. it just never happened, there was not enough interest from people. maybe, people out there will change their mind and then we can race on the same track. do people talk about the series out there?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know a few that would be interested- Rob Mocas, Bernie Martinez, Sam Cummings to name a few Alfa in the 3 hour drive. I think Mike Besic would want to as well, and there are a BUNCH with VCSDA that could run, just reading their results.

Perhaps I should start inquiring.

Eric

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
start asking, it won't hurt. i can find out more today as well from this end. i have to make a call into one of the 2.5 challenge directors.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts