Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is ride quality better on 13" GTAm R-compound tires or 14" R-compound tires? Was thinking of Toyo brand either R888r or RA-1

So, to the details.
I live in Memphis TN.
The roads are very smooth pretty much everywhere (good weather allows for this relative to places like New Englad/Chicago etc..)
So the roads are smooth, but I want to take the car when it's finished out on 'date night'.
At the same time I want the car to look the part, all this effort (year 3 of the build is in-progress!)
And I thought I would dable in the wheel discussion.

The car came with koni yellow lowering springs and fiberglass fenders that I have now attached and I am working on the body work (as always!)
The car came with panasport wheels in 14x7, but they don't fill the fenders and I am reluctant to just add wheel spacers, when the 13" GTAm or other 14" wheel will do better with the correct solving the problem for good with the correct offset.

Alfa Romeo GTAm paint prep by Ian Bennett, on Flickr

fender 'gap' I am looking at right now.

Alfa Romeo GTAm wheel’s and tires - can these work? by Ian Bennett, on Flickr

Hopefully in the end it looks something like this one (without the race livery and the rivets on the flares as I have smooth fenders)

GTAm Stance by Ian Bennett, on Flickr

Wheels I am thinking about if 13" is more comfortable than 14"
Alfa 4cGTAm Alloy 8,9x13" ? Alfa9 Supply

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Year ago I built an stepnose 2liter tribute car using 13"x8" BWA Sportstars, great look and feel but the circumference of the tires meant higher rpm at speed, solved the problem by installing a 4:10 rear. If I were doing it today would start with 14".

·
Premium Member
21,129 Posts
Getting high performance 14" tires is hard enough nowadays, I bet 13" is even harder, other than true track tires.
Andrew

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
i had 8x13 bwa's. 8's are barely wide enough to fit gtam flares i reckon without spacers to bring them out. the real gtam cars were 8 or 9s fronts 9 or 10s rears as i recall.

for me, get close to the original 13 size. shorter 13 feels especially nice and unique this day and age of low profile tires. they feel gummy and forgiving though the turn in and grip is less sharp.

on the plus side there are more wide tires available in 13 over 14's in the correct diameter. it drops your car to a lower ride height without jack up the roll center geometry and the shorter gearing is a cost effective way for a poormans higher reving gearbox.

my 2 bits

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Not Sure if your interested but I have some pretty rare Melber 14x7 1/2 that will look nice, and I have 6 of them. These are glass beaded and ready to finish with the color you choose.
awesome... i love to see these on your monte! i think larry used to have these on an orange monte years ago, they looked fantastic.

did u get them from generic?

·
Richard Jemison
7,075 Posts
Wheel size

The GTAm wheels were zero offset.

The issue will be with brake components with the little wheels.

I used 13 x ( wheels on my GT2 GTV6 car. Wheels were light and the 13 x 9.5 X 23 Goodyear "Short Track Specials" offered tremendous grip and handling. And the package was seriously light.

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Not sure if this is now too late to be useful, but Alfaholics do 15in GTAm wheels, which look great and give you a greater choice of tyre availability... I currently have them on my widebody GTA Junior replica...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very cool, and good advice on the Alfaholics 15".
I think i may stay with my 14" and roll those for a year or two, then decide to make a change based on my preferences of where I want the car to go.

If a full track monster, there is one type of combo.
for a full tourer, there is another type of combo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts