Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attached are some photos of the finished result of the 5 year restoration of 775511, a 1968 Autodelta prepared GTA Junior Corsa. The car has been finished in the same livery as raced by its first owner, Gene Strandberg, at events including the American Road Race of Champions at Daytona in 1969.
The restoration work has been undertaken by Australian Alfa experts Tim Doyle (Zoo Autocraft), Mick Mitchell (Corse Automotive Services) and Vin Sharp (Pace Engineering). Although I have the original correctly numbered block, the 1300 engine has been rebuilt using a new unused unnumbered block that came with the car.
The car was supplied by Don Black of Alfa Romeo Inc to Gene Strandberg. The car was raced at over 50 SCCA meetings between 1968 and 1980 at tracks including Road America (Elkhart Lake), Road Atlanta, Daytona, Indianapolis, Mid Ohio, Bridgehampton, Summit Point, Mid America (Wentzville), Brainerd (Donnybrooke), Phoenix, Nelson Ledges, Blackhawk Farms and Lake Afton.
In 1969 Strandberg won the SCCA ‘C’ Sedan class in this car in the Mid West division, setting several lap records. The car competed three times at the SCCA National ‘Run Offs’ – the American Road Race of Champions. Strandberg was 10th in this event at Daytona in 1969, Bobby Henson was 4th at Road Atlanta in 1971, and Jerry Wannarka (later SCCA Board Chairman) was 7th at Road Atlanta in 1974. The car was also raced by Gerry Strickfaden, George J Cichon and Larry Sterenberg.
After its racing life ended the car was owned by John Murphy and then Judge Parker and I bought it sight unseen from Daniel Rapley in 2014, with it arriving in Sydney in April 2015. The car has been the subject of a painstaking rebuild to bring it to the condition it was in when it first raced. It will be out for a very cautious first outing on a race track at the end of November at the HSRCA Summer Festival at Sydney Motorsports Park, Eastern Creek.
The first photo below is as it was in 1969. The rest are as it is now.
IMGA302-001.jpg
IMG_6927.jpg
D3E03E49-78E1-4D7F-AB59-6E9C2E634B07.jpg
IMG_6924.jpg
IMG_6930.jpg

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
Cool. [EDIT:]I should have said "incredibly cool", and looks fantastic[/EDIT]

Any during restoration photos?
Pete

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for asking, Gene. The car ran perfectly in what we call Regularity apart from a rather long brake pedal, which we will fix. I was also racing my 1750GTV so the contrast was interesting. The GTA is LHD on cross ply tires whereas the 1750 is RHD on R spec radials and has 190bhp vs 140 in the GTA. The GTA handling was surprisingly good but nothing much happens under 5-6,000 revs, whereas the 1750 pulls from 3,000. So gear change points are quite different. The GTA was brilliant for first time out and I had great fun playing with a friend who owns the only other race-prepped GTA - a 1600 with a great period race history in Australia.
Gene, do you remember which circuit the first photo you sent me was taken at? We are giving a presentation on the car's history and restoration next week at the workshop for Alfa club members and it would be a great quiz question!
IMG_1790.jpeg
20191130_143726.jpeg

·
Registered
10 Posts
I found another picture from the same race - it's attached. I am pretty sure this was at a track called Lyndale Farms outside of Milwaukee, WI.

Also, I forgot about another race. I won the CS Class at the Badger 200 at Elkhart Lake WI in 1969. This was a "fun" race prior to CanAm races and didn't count for SCCA points. The trophy was a Dansk coffee/tea service and I still have the teak tray with the results plaque on it.

A little more history - this is what we looked like in 1969.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If anyone in Oz can guess Lyndale Farms, they will deserve a big prize.
Great photos. Love the hair! I will include these in my presentation next week.
I'm not sure if we are meant to be using the BB for this great conversation.
My direct email is [email protected]

·
Registered
667 Posts
The presentation last night was fantastic. with Colin filling in on the cars history, Tim Doyle from zoo auto giving the story behind the mammoth restoration of the body (complete with slideshow ) and Mick Mitchell from Corse Automotive going through the mechanical rebuild. plenty of challenges were presented by the car and the final result is stunning. it was a fantastic club night and thanks too all that gave their time. also the woodfired Pizzas cooked on site and organised by the Alfa club just topped it off.
Thanks again,

Cheers Ian

1 - 13 of 13 Posts