Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RQy45zKVYqQ&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RQy45zKVYqQ&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is the worst handling GT I have seen..........

I disagree. Not the greatest handling GT or GTA, but fairly typical.

An Abarth 1000 or a Mini-Cooper will always be quicker through a corner itself than a GT or a GTA. The Abarth weighs about 1300 pounds, and if it has the hot 1000 OTR motor, has 118 hp! Even the "standard" 1000 OT motor has something like 85 hp. The Mini-Cooper weighs about 1500 pounds. The GT (or GTA) didn't loose much in the corners, and always passed again on the long straight.

In the late 1960s and early 1970s, I raced a very quick ex-factory Mini Cooper 998 (78 horsepower) and the Abarth 1000 OTs (OTRs were illegal in the class) pulled us on the straights by at least 5-6 car lengths at places with long straights, like Riverside. Prior to bringing the car to the US, I raced it in Europe. The only places we could beat the Abarths was on tracks with very short straights and lots of turns.

This was the car with which I took 2nd in D-sedan in the Midwest region of SCCA in 1970. Didn't go to the national runoffs in 1970 or 1971: although I was eligable, as I couldn't afford it!

In also raced the car in early Trans-Am, when C (up to 1300cc) and D (up to 1000cc) sedans were running with the under two liter cars at some races.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Historic racing

Hello forummembers,

The video mentioned contains footage of a historic race at Zandvoort. The race is part of the NKHTGT. the dutch historic touringcars and GT's (Homepage NKHTGT). In the video you can see Douwe Heida on Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT(A) and Jasper Izaks on Fiat Abarth 1000 TC. The comment with the video states, that Douwe was driving with very old (worn) racing tires. Would that explain the roadholding of this particular car? The video was shot in 2006 or 2007. More photographs and video on the NKHTGT website!

Ciao, Olaf

1 - 7 of 7 Posts