Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
I may do it but be aware that bolting Stainless Steel up to Steel sets up a great and happy corrosion cell a then kiss good by to yoir chassis in the area. The original GTA parts were not SS. The repro are constructed different the original.

KEN

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
I may do it but be aware that bolting Stainless Steel up to Steel sets up a great and happy corrosion cell a then kiss good by to yoir chassis in the area. The original GTA parts were not SS. The repro are constructed different the original.

KEN
Since I can not edit my above post I offer some additional and corrected info. The original GTA parts or some of them did have non magnetic (300 series) Stainless Steel mesh with thin mild steel surround that was bent around the edges of the wire and encpsulated small threaded rectangular "nuts" for the 4mm machine screws.

the repros that I have seen are all non magnetic SS.

ken

·
Administrator
12,587 Posts
Why can't you edit?

Select the kebab menu (3 vertical dots, top right corner of the post you want to edit) and then Edit

Pete

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Why can't you edit?

Select the kebab menu (3 vertical dots, top right corner of the post you want to edit) and then Edit

Pete
Because I get this message.

• You may not edit more than 10 different post(s) within 7 days.
I seem to get this when I try to edit older posts. I got it just now when I went back to the post to edit, copied and pasted message here.

But now I am editing here. Can't say if I have never been able to edit an older post but as I am active member I have often need to edit. So they allow recent edits but count them.

Ken

·
Administrator
12,587 Posts
Thanks. Understood

Pete

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Ken,

Are you sure on the mild steel surround?

I would expect that to rust which it does not seem to ....

The original GTA parts or some of them did have non magnetic (300 series) Stainless Steel mesh with thin mild steel surround that was bent around the edges of the wire and encpsulated small threaded rectangular "nuts" for the 4mm machine screws.

the repros that I have seen are all non magnetic SS.

ken

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Thanks. Understood

Pete
Hey Pete, I find this inability to edit at will one of the few remaining frustrating thing about this new and really improved BB. Help to fix would be nice.

·
Administrator
12,587 Posts
Yes, understand and it is on our list.

Pete

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Ken,

Are you sure on the mild steel surround?

I would expect that to rust which it does not seem to ....
No not sure now. I found the one I have here in front of me with a very magnetic surround so assumed not SS but it could be a magnetic 400 series SS I guess. I will investigate further.

So I scraped some paint off the back side and found shiney metal which could be SS or bright galvanized steel. Then I applied a drop of HCL (Hydrochloric Acid) to the metal and if it was galvanized there would be a reaction, there was not. So I stand corrected. Further evidence can be found at the mitered corners where there is a weld on the back side. It would have to be welded after assembly and if galvanized steel then the zinc coating would be burned away and there likely would be some rusting but there was not.

Thanks

Ken

1 - 17 of 17 Posts