Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dear all

I understand that the Gulia Sprint 1600 GTA came in two flavours, Stradale and Corsa (referring only to Auto Delta's mod and not independent workshops).

For a pure Stradale, did it come with a TWIN SPARK head as standard? How much power did that standard Stradale Twin Spark engine produced?

How much power did the Corsa Twin Spark engine produce?

Is it possible to tell from external examination alone which engine I am staring at, whether it's Stradale or Corsa? Any distinctive difference to help ID and separate them?

To avoid any confusion I am referring only to the 1600 GTA engine.

Thanks
Fgc

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Hello fgc. First you are correct Alfa offered both a GTA 1600 Stradale and a GTA Corsa. Details of each can be found in Fusi All Cars and elsewhere. Both came with Twin Plug (not twin spark) engines. Twin Spark is a later nomenclature for a later engine.

You can identify a GTA block by the serial number and if you have GTA 1600 head by its appearance. Pictures of the engine would help us help you.

Regards

Ken

·
Registered
641 Posts
GTA Stradale

Hallo Ken,
this is not correct in all . On Alfa dealers , you could order only the GTA stradale typ 105.02A or later 105.32 with street homologation . Alfa had to produce 500 identic cars for the homologation in 1965 ( they never did) to use them as Touring cars!!! ( not GT cars) with 4 passengerplaces. The GTA Corsa you have to order at Autodelta in Settimo Milanese , a satelite city from Milano ( they moved from Udine after order from Alfa ) as a complete race care or you could order racecits to modify GTA stradales , that came over the dealerorganisation .
Autodelta was 1965 just in the hands of Alfa Romeo , like AMG from Mercedes )
On my opinion , Alfa never produced 500 cars in 1965 , i think a hundred perhaps , because my GTA 1600 with number under 100 was produced end of 1965 ( information from Elvira Ruocco, centro Alfa storico 1985 )

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Hallo Ken,
this is not correct in all . On Alfa dealers , you could order only the GTA stradale typ 105.02A or later 105.32 with street homologation . Alfa had to produce 500 identic cars for the homologation in 1965 ( they never did) to use them as Touring cars!!! ( not GT cars) with 4 passengerplaces. The GTA Corsa you have to order at Autodelta in Settimo Milanese , a satelite city from Milano ( they moved from Udine after order from Alfa ) as a complete race care or you could order racecits to modify GTA stradales , that came over the dealer organisation .
Autodelta was 1965 just in the hands of Alfa Romeo , like AMG from Mercedes )
On my opinion , Alfa never produced 500 cars in 1965 , i think a hundred perhaps , because my GTA 1600 with number under 100 was produced end of 1965 ( information from Elvira Ruocco, centro Alfa storico 1985 )
Hello Uli. Do we, you and I agree on the same definition of a GTA Corsa? I define a GTA Corsa as a GTA that goes from the Alfa Romeo assembly line to the Autodelta preparation shop before delivery to its first owner and in that way the first owner receives an Autodelta prepared GTA Corsa. For some cars Autodelta is the first owner of record.

The 10 RHD GTA Corsas that came to the USA in 1966 for the Trans Am came through Alfa Romeo Inc. USA and were sold to AR dealers or racers through dealers. A few dealers hired drivers and entered the cars themselves. Others were sold to drivers through a dealer. They were not road licensed. The Autodelta PROVA sheets exist today for 3 or 4 of the 10.

I am sure the arrangement in Europe was different especially considering the road licensing requirement and you are more familiar with that.

Ciao

Ken

·
Registered
266 Posts
Dear all

I understand that the Gulia Sprint 1600 GTA came in two flavours, Stradale and Corsa (referring only to Auto Delta's mod and not independent workshops).

For a pure Stradale, did it come with a TWIN SPARK head as standard? How much power did that standard Stradale Twin Spark engine produced?

How much power did the Corsa Twin Spark engine produce?

Is it possible to tell from external examination alone which engine I am staring at, whether it's Stradale or Corsa? Any distinctive difference to help ID and separate them?

To avoid any confusion I am referring only to the 1600 GTA engine.

Thanks
Fgc
The answer to your questions is book worth. Consider that there was never official distinction between “Stradale” and “Corsa” versions. It was just internal factory description to describe street and competition variant of the same car. Anyhow here are some basic data. GTA was signed as 105.32A lightened version of GT model, to be produced in 500 examples (for homologation purposes) and match FIA regulations for Tourism Group 2, ETCC championship. For the competitions, factory elaborated the version denominated “Corsa” (for internal use), and this car was available already fully tuned in Alfa Romeo racing wing, Autodelta, situated at Settimo Milanese, though there was the possibility to reach various stages of tuning over privately submitted street version GTA cars, to the same Autodelta racing division. Also there was the possibility to purchase special racing prats and obtained different grades of tuning in other workshops (Angelini from Rome, Conrero from Turin, Monzeglio also from Turin, Balduzzi from Lodi, Bosato and Facetti from Milan and so on), so the “Corsa” version was not exclusive Autodelta work. Mechanically GTA tuned for the racing was identical to its street version except some small differences invisible from external exame. Under the bonnet you could observe the lack of air filter from the street variant, and the presence of the “dynamic air inlet” on the later models (after December 1966). Racing version had always additional oil radiator, present only as optional on the street variant. The main difference was the presence of the sliding block (“Slittone”) on the rear axle (homologated in the beginning of 1966) of the racing model, but it was visible only by examination. Some racing examples use to have lateral exhausting system under the left side door of the car. Also the tyres were wider (7X14 Dunlop SP) and on SA version the widened flares on the rear (“Codolini”) were fixed. The absence of bumpers was observed on some street cars, but generally it was distinctive sign on the racing version. The presence of cage (roll-bar) and even more Spartan interior was observed in racing version and special racing seat was introduced in official work cars after 1969. And that is more-less all at the level of differences. The GTA was produced in its LHD and RHD version (in base of the list with chassis numbers for homologation purposes, now in possession of Turin Auto Museum archive) in 480examples (429 LHD and 51 RHD). Among them, 95 examples were elaborated by Autodelta and other tuners (except Balduzzi and Facetti that never tuned GTA 1600 officially) for competition purposes between 1965 and 1970, (79 LHD and 16 RHD).
Here are sheets with description of “Stradale” and “Corsa” versions and photos of engine bay and ****pits of the respective cars.

Attachments

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The difference between Stradale and Corsa engine bay

ARGTAReg Thanks so much for the write up and also the photos. This made it so much clearer for me the differences between Stradale and Corsa. Really appreciate you taking time to post these information ;)

·
Premium Member
21,123 Posts
Agreed, that like other street Webered Alfas of the period, if the intake doesn't have a vent pipe fitting, the blowby is going overboard.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,123 Posts
Ken, et al. A friend reminded me of this:

The Braden/Weber Giulia book pages 154/155 has the reprint of the US importer's spec sheets for the GTA. These two pages explain both models sold in the USA.

Andrew

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Alfa Romeo Inc. Newark NJ USA the USA importer and presumed to be owned by Alfa Romeo, published these two documents as Andrew mentioned above. One can see that both Stradale and Corsa (Race Prepared) were offered for sale in either left or right hand drive.

The Stradale was offered at $5550 and the Corsa at $7550.

Ciao

Ken

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts