Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some photos of the replica GTA airbox I just had installed on my '69 GT Jr "GTA replica." The box came from Alberto Guirola, who advertises them in the Alfa Owner. Rod Atkinson, at Apex Vintage in Raleigh, NC did the installation work - he also built the 1600 engine in the car, more or less from scratch. The right horn had to be moved to the left of the radiator, the right upper radiator was trimmed, the right motor mount was shimmed up slightly, and the coil was moved up, otherwise the box fit perfectly behind the GTA grill. This is a study, precision box, and I'm very pleased with the quality of construction, performance and appearance. I also had the previously-installed performance cams replaced with Centerline PC455s, with the goal of getting a bit more low-end oomph. With judicious handling mods and a roll cage, this is a sweet running car on the street, and great fun on the occasional club track day.
(The old cams, carb mounting plate, horns and socks are for sale in classifieds, if anyone is interested.)
Don Sanders

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,884 Posts
That is a very nice installation. Did it all come as an assembly, or were the socks and short stacks, couplings and pick-up fabrication separate?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The airbox comes in three pieces of unfinished fiberglass: the main unit, the access door, and the inlet horn. Carb horns are pretty standard Weber bits, and the socks are Pipercross.
S

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Don,

I bought one of Alberto's airboxes too and I am in the process of fitting it. I will use the angled air horns with a filter fabric inserted between the snorkel and the box. I am also adding a finer screen to the snorkel intake.

Your installation looks good, and I am also raising the right mount about 1/4 inch. I found a motor mount that was a little taller than the one I had in the car.

Would you share info on the radiator you are using? I was trying to get a GTA reproduction but the ones Alfaholics sells are just too expensive for me.

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
What did you use for the rubber hose between the snorkel and the air box?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dave,
The radiator was in the car when I bought it, but it may be from IAP. The shop that installed the snorkel (Apex Vintage) provided the rubber hose - it's apparently a fairly standard bit. I have thought about putting a filter in the snorkel and would be interested to hear how you do it.
Don

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
WIre Mesh for Repro boxes

Hi has any one sourced the mesh as original for these repro boxes?

Mesh wire spacing is about 3/16" x 3/16" and a piece about 7" x 8" is required.

Maybe someone had to buy a yard/meter of the stuff and has surplus?

Nice installation BTW and more details on the rubber joiner would be helpful.

Regards

Ken

Attachments

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Ken,

I ordered some from Pegasus yesterday. I think a 12x18 inch piece of the number 6 mesh. Do you need enough to do a snorkel?

It can be riveted, so I made an aluminum rim to sandwich the mesh within.

Dave

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
GTA Airbox Filter

Guys,

I worked out a filter setup that will suffice for racing where the paddock is on grass/dirt or in case you happen to go off course and kick up some dust. If the track is not nasty, the filter can be removed and screen will catch to big chunks. I am not sure how well it would work for street applications though. I will spray some K&N filter oil on the foam.

I used the medium mesh screen from Pegasus (that I also put on the entrance to the snorkel - about 1/8 inch openings), and hammer formed a 1/2 inch lip around the perimeter. I used an oval piece of oak with radius routed around it as a form and screwed another smaller oval to hold it fast. The screen is inserted in the airbox entrance and pop rivets hold it in place. Be sure to use rivet washers. A 3/4 inch piece of filter foam is cut to fit. After I finished, I realized if I had turned the screen with the lip facing towards the carbs, the filter foam would fit tighter.

I also sourced a fabric imbedded hose from the local rubber supplier. It is called "lay flat" hose by Goodyear, and is used for large water pumps. It measures 4 inches in diameter, and lays flat at 6.5 inches.

Attachments

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good-looking installation, Dave. Thanks. Another source of the rubberized hose is turbo hose from Summit Racing, which is where mine came from. (See photos in my initial posting in this thread.)
Sfourza

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Sfourza, is that the 4" diameter silicone hose by 2" long?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts