Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Ok, about a year ago I posted some stuff on my GTA rep. I got a couple of questions about this car, so I will start a topic. I have owned this car for almost 10 years and I actually drove it for 2. Then I started taking it apart dus to rust. As I got to get better in 105 knowledge, I decided to make it into the wildest possible street capable racer.
Please realise I did lot's of the work yeaaaaaars ago and would do it toally different today. I have to stop somewhere, and REALLY want it running come spring.
Now I'm gonna post pics using tinypic, but does anyone have something better as TP is so slow?

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
here you can see the welded in bolt-in cage. Budget didn't go for a full welded example. What I did was create pickup points for the cage on all the chassis mounting points. For example the rear runners are not bolted to the inner wheelwell as usual, but to the chassis leg in the back. The main hoop is also affixed to the front pickup of the trailing arms. Notice the battery tray, which will receive a cover.

·
Registered
268 Posts
here's more detail.

Also:
the head is on. Alu intake rubbers. Chamfered valve guides, ported, and some other minor work done. Running 0001 cams now, budget again...

GTA rep header and exhaust set. Standing pedal box still in place, using one brake booster, Thanks to this BB for a schedule of how to make this work on a dual brake master cilinder from a US Duetto.
Notice oil cooler.

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
here you can see the chassis leg strenghtening.
This is to prevent the steering collumn from moving, and to stiffen up the chassis.
It is fabricated in a way to make it possible to remove the normal springs and pans and to modify the car for a coilover setup, using the normal shock absorber mounts. This was developed around 99 for the Giulia's running in Dutch Squadra Bianca racing.

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
a lot of this work will be redone, to remove overspray, rust etc. Remember, I started this 8 years ago. For now the idea is to get it all together and complete, and the take it apart for cleaning and checking.
Yes I'm running uniballs on the stabiliser for street use and know it will be uncomfortable and prone to wearing out.

a detail of the stabiliser bar which is adjustable for wet or dry racing. This is a VERY expensive item.

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
the three way adjustable shocks I paid an arm and a leg for.
Cool stuff though..

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
The US Duetto Spider master brake cilinder, tandem, for dual braking system.
Hard to find here. I'd like to have a picture of how this was fitted to a Duetto as I had to cut a lot from the gearbox support. I'll have to temove this one once more and do some welding to strenghten it again. I'll probably also drill it full of holes...
Well, that's it for now, more as I continue work. Feel free to comment or ask, It'll probably help me and motivate me.
Rik

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ballpark is under 30K euro inc new engine which I built myself, liners, pistons, headwork etc.
Gearbox is fresh, every bushing , joint, rubber etc fresh, expensive shocks, airbox, exhaust, etc. The master brake cilinder was 220 euro before a 160 euro rebuild.
Prepped the car myself, it was sprayed OK but on the cheap, hence the overspray.
Seam welded everywhere. special trailing arm bushes were 300,-
I'm not really keeping track, don't want to, but I guess including purchase it will be around 30K total when it is completely finished and road/race worthy. Have about 3K left to spend, on some other special stuff. I also have a set of magnesium GTA wheels, and a set of 15" panasports. those weren't exactly cheap either. No matter, this car is IT for me... The 308 in my byline is a totally different proposition.
Always wanted one, but the GT is EMOTION!!!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Hallo Seinista, thanks for the pictures. I have been the Dell'Orto importer in Holland for almost 25
years. It was snetimental to see these nice decals on your car. The ones on the fender are old style and these big ones where very rare.

De beste groeten
Rob Landman

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello Rob,
They are copies sold by a belgian gentleman on the Houten Italia Expo for 5 bucks a pop! I have some more I think, also orange rectangular ones with even older script. Going to have them copied myself!
Rik

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Hi Rik:
Here are some pictures of how I reinforced the bracket where I cut it out to clear the longer tandem MC.
Good luck with your car
Wil

Very nice job Wil, I'll be storing those pics for future reference.

Bodies that used the below floor dual master brake cylinder had a special rear trans mount that was used with more rearward placed chassis brackets therefore allowing clearance of the master cylinder.

This was done to accomodate the USA requirements and occured in 1969 model year only. My ex 1969 GTV Canadian spec (that is near Euro Spec ) club racer also had this special mounting even though it originally only had single circuit brakes. Which leads me to think/wonder if all 1969s regardless of market were so crafted.

Ciao

Ken

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Thanks for the kind words, Ken.
When researching this fitment with me, Papajam (the wise) was surprised at the many transmission mounts in the parts book; classic Alfa complexity, you'd think this would not be a part requiring so many iterations. Alfa Parts Exchange was also knowledgeable about this 1969 one-time relocation of the bracket. For others looking to do this mod, as Ken pointed out, not only was the bracket modified, but the chassis bracket mounts were moved rearward in 1969, so sourcing the mount alone won't do the job, AMHIK :)

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
Rik,

Where did you find that huge cold air box?!?!

Your car looks great :D

Alex.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, So I won't be able to A find, or B place a standard modified tranny mount. I had about the same idea about strenghtening it as in the pictures. So that then is what I will do.
the airboxes were made for the then Squadra Bianca racing class. That was a class for highly modified 2 litre Giulia sedans. The fastest which did about 2.57 on Spa, which is fast!
They were made by a company named LLD, leisure lightweight design, in Harmelen, the Netherlands. Maybe you could Google that? They had the molds back then, which isn't that long ago. (2002 or thereabouts)
They pop up once in a while. They cost 400 euro back then. Carbon Fibre!
Guess the color of the Squadra's?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
the airboxes were made for the then Squadra Bianca racing class. That was a class for highly modified 2 litre Giulia sedans. The fastest which did about 2.57 on Spa, which is fast!
They were made by a company named LLD, leisure lightweight design, in Harmelen, the Netherlands. Maybe you could Google that? They had the molds back then, which isn't that long ago. (2002 or thereabouts)
They pop up once in a while. They cost 400 euro back then. Carbon Fibre!
Guess the color of the Squadra's?
Have you mocked up the airbox? Does it clear everything ok? Looks like a hell of a piece if it does!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Don't have to mock it up, works fine, I fitted dozens back then. They are built for Giulias but fit Bertones just fine too.
Hell to tighten the lower nuts though, on the carbs.
And the top ones too, btw. You have to put your hand inside, then tighten the nuts, Pffffrrr.
Do only when sure everything else in the neighborhood is fine!
The boxes have laminated in velocity stacks on the inside too, which makes tightening a real pain in the @ss.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts