Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GTA Rad has had the left upper mount cut away and I would like to repair it. See the pics.

Can anyone provide Photos and dimensional detail, please.

As the rad needs a recore, now is the time to do this other repair.

Unless some one can tell me why this modification was made. Perhaps to fit a non stock oil cooler???

Thanks and Regards

Ken

Attachments

·
Registered
403 Posts
Ken,

I believe this was done to fit the GTA oil cooler along side of the radiator. My car came with the radiator like yours but with a tab added to the top left. My car no longer has the GTA oil cooler, but Roman fitted one similarily in it's place. I don't know if I have Pictures. When you crossing the border?

Andy

·
Premium Member
777 Posts
Ken

As you said, it was probably cut off to fit a larger oil cooler. Is the mount on the chassis still intact? If so, you are better off installing the radiator with the existing 3 tabs; then you can fabricate a new tab and spot weld it to the 'stub' tab. You can then remove the radiator and finish the weld.

You will also need to install the oil cooler when fabricating the new tab; to check for interference.

I can take a photo for you if needed, as I have just installed a freshly recored radiator.

Biscione

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ken

As you said, it was probably cut off to fit a larger oil cooler. Is the mount on the chassis still intact? If so, you are better off installing the radiator with the existing 3 tabs; then you can fabricate a new tab and spot weld it to the 'stub' tab. You can then remove the radiator and finish the weld.

You will also need to install the oil cooler when fabricating the new tab; to check for interference.

I can take a photo for you if needed, as I have just installed a freshly recored radiator.

Biscione
When I got 752507 she was all apart and without oil cooler and rad chassis mounts as a small horizontal rad and space for a horizontal oil cooler had been fabricated into an aluminum baffel.

It is thought that by Trans Am race year 1972 her original oil cooler was long gone and another type was put in place so hence the neccesity of the rad bracket amputation. The restoration will therefore ikely use an after market race cooler as she will go to close 1972 livery and spec.

But having said all that I will prep a repair to the bracket and cut it off again if nead be.

So if its not too much trouble please send some pics and dimensions.

And comments for me about your recore as I have to doi one.

Ciao

Ken

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
My front cooling shroud is off currently and my oil rad is off too having just been repaired so here is my uncovered radiator bracket on the upper LH side. Trust this helps

Attachments

·
Premium Member
777 Posts
Ken
Here is a picture. Let me know what dims you would like.
Regarding the recore, I used a 3 row with large tubes; or you can also use a 4 row core with smaller tubes. I was told the 3 row has a higher cooling efficiency. I will get the name of the company that made the custom core and post it for you. These cores are thicker than the original, so it is essential to install the new core in a way that maintains a proper gap to the H2O pump or fan.
Biscione

Attachments

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ken
Here is a picture. Let me know what dims you would like.
Regarding the recore, I used a 3 row with large tubes; or you can also use a 4 row core with smaller tubes. I was told the 3 row has a higher cooling efficiency. I will get the name of the company that made the custom core and post it for you. These cores are thicker than the original, so it is essential to install the new core in a way that maintains a proper gap to the H2O pump or fan.
Biscione
Thanks Bisci and the others for your replies.

I need to know the length from the rad side surface to the left hand end of the left bracket. The distance of the end of the bulge reinforcement from bracket left end. Also the location and diameter of the 2 holes. One hole seems to be right at the bend.

Also Stuart's pic seems to show a "gentle" bend is yours, Bisci, the same?? His also seems to show a scalop cut out of the bracket top near the mount hole which I don't see on the others.

Thanks

Ken

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Half a tick. There is surely a mounting point on the frame for the bracket in front of the radiator. Thus the length of the bracket will be self explanatory. As to the scallop cut out on my bracket...that the way it is. I can offer no explanation.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Half a tick. There is surely a mounting point on the frame for the bracket in front of the radiator. Thus the length of the bracket will be self explanatory. As to the scallop cut out on my bracket...that the way it is. I can offer no explanation.
No, No mounting bracket, and the speculative explanation is that 752 507 was always a racer from the 1966 Sebring T/A to 1972 Riverside T/A then conversion to C-sedan racer and they, the brackets, were removed along the way. They too will have to be replaced as I think they were removed during the c-sedan days.

ciao

Ken

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Do you want an image of the bracket and some dimensions as well?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Ken,

I looked at my car and though the original, vertical oil cooler is in place, as is the side air baffle, with plenty of clearance, the left upper radiator bracket as posted by Alfazagato and Biscione is the same here. I dont have the ability to post a photo here, but if you wish I will be happy to email you some pics.

David

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks All, for your posts, advice and pics. I am working closely with Biscione now on this one and will post some pics in due course on the progress.

Ciao

Ken

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rad Bracket is Made "almost"

Thanks to an accurate drawing and other communications sent to me by Biscione, I have produced 2 bracket pieces. They now need to be bent to as original and spot welded to the rad side support. Bisci has offered to do the bending.

The pictures show the process. Cut out a blank, deform the re-inforcement in the die and press, turn the part over and use the die to re-flatten the sides beside the deformation.

Interestingly the amount of side pull-in due the deformation of the re-inforcement was much as Biscione predicted, therefore adding to the accuracy of the reproduction.

Also shown is the small piece that I removed from my rad support. It will be used to locate, as original, the spot welds.

Regards

Ken

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts