Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my search for a GTA radiator from US suppliers, I have settled on C&R Racing to build my unit. CanAmBob suggested them, and they are good to work with.
Size issues are being worked out, but my question is on the functionality of the recessed area in the top tank for the filler neck. The C&R tech asked if there are problems with only being able to fill the radiator to the bottom of the filler neck, leaving a big airspace at the top of the tank. Perhaps this provides a built-in expansion area.
C&R will build in the recess if I want but are there any problems with it in operation?
Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
649 Posts
Scott Gray's reply

On the original radiator the top tank was oversize to allow for expansion and it worked very well until the HP of the engines out grew the size of the original core. There was no remote header tank, only a catch bottle. Now we use a Godan high efficiency core with the original top tank, no remote header tank and it is as reliable as a cooling system can get. Is the C & R radiator aluminum? If so they are not as efficient as copper. The modern solution for an aluminum radiator would be to make it oversize and have a remote header tank mounted higher than the radiator, possibly on the firewall like Shelly Zide's Kwech GTV. That way the radiator is pressurized with no air in it. The expansion takes place in the header tank and the radiator pulls the fluid back when the engine cools----Scott Gray

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bob,

Thanks for getting the info from Scott Gray for me. The original GTA radiator cores are 35.5cm x 31.5cm x 4.0 cm. The 36 mm thick core C&R proposed is too thin.

Does anyone know how thick the core is on an Alfaholics aluminum reproduction?

I will have the top tank made like the orginal design.
Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
512 Posts
Hi Dave,
Are you looking for originality or efficiency? If efficiency, Have the core changed to a triple layer and keep the old top & bottom tanks(looks more original too). I have done this on my Ti Super replica and have had no overheating problems through the last 3 seasons of racing.
Regards
Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts