Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I want to know if someone has info or photos of the Giulia Sprint GTA racing in GT Class. Normally this class was reserverd to big cars as AC Cobra, Ferrari, Jaguar and more but as appear in the FIA list of Homologated cars the GTA has the GT Homologation with number 199 .

One of the things that I want to know is if the coachwork was in fiber.

I want to buy the Homologation Form but before I want to know how it is.

Thanks ans best regards.

Tommy.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Coachwork in fiber?

Hello,

I want to know if someone has info or photos of the Giulia Sprint GTA racing in GT Class. Normally this class was reserverd to big cars as AC Cobra, Ferrari, Jaguar and more but as appear in the FIA list of Homologated cars the GTA has the GT Homologation with number 199 .

One of the things that I want to know is if the coachwork was in fiber.

I want to buy the Homologation Form but before I want to know how it is.

Thanks ans best regards.

Tommy.
Hello Tommy,

Could you elaborate on what you mean by 'coachwork was in fiber'?

Ciao, Olaf

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course,

When I wrote "Coachwork in fiber" I was speaking about the possibility that the coachwork or some parts of the same was in fiber like bonnet, doors, .... I say that because in the App. J of 1965 the GT cars are the same as Tourism car (the normal homologation for a GTA) but with a different coachwork or different material.

I haven't got the 199 homologation form so I don't know if the GTA in GT class had fiber parts, or the difference was in other kind of modifications...

I think is very strange the homologation of the GTA in GT class because first of all the fiber is heavier than the aluminium, and the second there're a Tourism homologation form...

That's my question... what's the difference between GTA Tourism Class and GTA Grand Tourism Car??? The 199 Homologation Form is better than the 1395 for race in pre-66 Rally Championship?

Thanks.

Tommy

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Plastic - fiber parts on the Giulia Sprint GTA

Of course,

When I wrote "Coachwork in fiber" I was speaking about the possibility that the coachwork or some parts of the same was in fiber like bonnet, doors, .... I say that because in the App. J of 1965 the GT cars are the same as Tourism car (the normal homologation for a GTA) but with a different coachwork or different material.

I haven't got the 199 homologation form so I don't know if the GTA in GT class had fiber parts, or the difference was in other kind of modifications...

I think is very strange the homologation of the GTA in GT class because first of all the fiber is heavier than the aluminium, and the second there're a Tourism homologation form...

That's my question... what's the difference between GTA Tourism Class and GTA Grand Tourism Car??? The 199 Homologation Form is better than the 1395 for race in pre-66 Rally Championship?

Thanks.

Tommy
Hello Tommy,

This is what I found:
Accoording to homologation form 625/14/10V for the Giulia Sprint GTA Gruppo 4 (Gran Turismo Speciale), the following parts were in 'plastic':

- porte in plastica nr 2 con finestrini in plexiglas scorrevoli (doorskin in plastic)
- cofano motore in plastica (enginecover in plastic)
- cofano baule in plastica (bootcover in plastic)

This homologationform was valid from the 1st of July 1970. Previous forms talk of aluminium skin for the Giulia Sprint GTA as far I can see.

Ciao! Olaf

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Olaf and JCDK,

The 625 is for Group 4, not for GT. A 65's GT car was a Touring car with special coachwork, and the 625 - GTA was a GR.4 (so a better car that the 199), I think that the GTA-625 had to be very similar to the 199 but with some special difference to do another homologation form or simply to adapt to gr.4. I don't know.

I've got the 625 homologation form is very similar to the gr.2-tourisme 1395 homologation form but as you post with fibber parts, ate brakes, and much more... The main difference is that 199 car was a 1965's GTA with a 1965 homologation... the 625 is a 1970 homologation... this point is the most interesting for me.

JCDK, very intersting car, maybe the answer to the what's the 199 car, is in the GTA/P. In all case I suposse that the 199-car had to be very similar to it, but to obtain the GT homologation is required a minium of 100 units... but well, in that era, in Italy... a hundred could mean only 6 and a lot of spare parts...

At the end I have to bought the 199 Homologation Form to eliminate my doubts.

Many thanks for your very interesting help Olaf and JCDK, please if you or someone find more information about the 199-homologation or the GTA in GT Class of the period please tell me, I'm building a GTA replica car to race in Sport Classics Rallyes.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Ask Berlinista

Hello Olaf and JCDK,

Many thanks for your very interesting help Olaf and JCDK, please if you or someone find more information about the 199-homologation or the GTA in GT Class of the period please tell me, I'm building a GTA replica car to race in Sport Classics Rallyes.

Thanks!
Hello Tommy,

You might ask Berlinista here on the Bulletin Board. He prepared a GTA for the Tour Auto (Tour de France) last year as I recall.

Ciao, Olaf

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello everybody,

For who is interested:

After to put me in contact with Ralf Petterson from the FIA I can say that the 199 GT Homologation Form is just the first homologation of the GTA, the dates in the list of the FIA aren't completely correct, the correct ones for the GTA are:

199 started 1.6.1965
1395 started 1.8.1965

So, the GT homologation (199) is the previous pass to homologate as a Touring Car a few months later.

I could read the 199 and doesn't talk about fiberglass or nothing special... only a normal GTA Corsa, exactly as the 1395 but only with 100 units built.

Now I'm looking the possibility that some GTA raced with fiberglass just before the Gr.4 homologation (625) and race with them in a International Race... maybe in Trans Am... I don't know... if someone can help me, many many thanks!!!

Looking at the Performance Book of 1972-1977 (I haven't got the 1966-1972's book) I can see that the fiberglass doors have GTA code... 10532.55.042.10 so it could be a good signal. Someone can comprove that it's the same number in 1966-1972 book.

I try to put in contact with Enzo Giobbe but for the moment no response... If he's got some documents that domostrate that a GTA raced with fiber parts before 1970 for me it's the best solution to all this problems.

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Tommy

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Now I'm looking the possibility that some GTA raced with fiberglass just before the Gr.4 homologation (625) and race with them in a International Race... maybe in Trans Am... I don't know... if someone can help me, many many thanks!!!

Looking at the Performance Book of 1972-1977 (I haven't got the 1966-1972's book) I can see that the fiberglass doors have GTA code... 10532.55.042.10 so it could be a good signal. Someone can comprove that it's the same number in 1966-1972 book.
Hello Tommy,

Here is a picture of the rear fender extensions. Source: Issue #2 of the Performance Options Catalogue of 1968. The doors, bonnet and boot are all aluminium in this issue. No reference of plastic or fiberglass.

By the way, this extension looks the same as the extension on the Christine Beckers GTA-SA.

In Issue #1 of the Performance Options Catalogue I can't find any reference to doors, bonnets and boots.

Ciao, Olaf

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, thanks, I have to search in not original parts... may be Angelini or something like that... Maybe didn't exist any fiber part in a GTA in FIA event until 1970... but I have to try find it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi Tommy, Olaf and fellow alfisti,

I'm in the process of building a GTA Replica race car with fiberglas doors, bonnet and bootlit in order to race for the 2014 season in certain races in Greece.

Other race car drivers inform me that the correct omologation for the glassfibre parts will be the nr.625. I contact FIA, bought it and as I have it in my hands I couldn't find anything referring to fiberglas parts. It does have 2 extensions though but again nothing.

Olaf is stating that according to 625/14/10V these parts are homologated but what is really the above? An extension that I don't have? My 2 extensions are numbered 625/1/1v (rear fender extensions) and 625/2/18 respectively. Tommy, you agree also about the fiberglass parts, from what I understand. Where am I wrong?

It was perfect timing that I found your thread and I would appreciate your help. Also I'm planning to start a thread showing the work in progress of my race car very soon.

Looking forward talkin with you and Tommy let me know how you proceed with your race car....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts