1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Sorry. If i kept better records I could help you.

GTA 752507 came to me with 1300 GTA motor and headers. My 64 sprint GT Bulova Racer came to me with 1600 GTA headers. In 2011 when I had 752507 restored I sent Roman Tucker what I thought was a pair of pipes. When he went to fit he found the miss match. He sent me a message asking if i could find pipe with number xxx which I did to match the 1600 pipe he had. I also sold him the 1300 headers. That was the first I ever heard about numbers stamped on the GTA pipes.

Unfortunaltely I have not no recorded any of the numbers and this is not the first time that I had wished I had.

Alas

Ken

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
I have a pair of 1600 TI Super/GTA 10516 headers w/ numbers stamped:

S/659 and S/696

I acquired these new from Autodelta (supposedly---makes for a good story, anyway) through an Italian contact in the early '70's.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
After seeing the different numbers stamped on the various headers pictured here and other threads I suspect the S could be an Italian abbreviation for exhaust and the numbers may be serial numbers, just a thought.

·
Premium Member
1,352 Posts
Well, "S" can very well mean "Scarico" , Exhaust in Italian.

I think you make a lot sense, after all, how many extra GTA headers?
Thousands, doubt it, yet be interesting to see a set with 4 digits....

Regards, Alberto

·
Registered
862 Posts
I think that the S means more "sinistra" wich is left side and the other side will show a D, I think it means "Destra" wich is right side

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I think that the S means more "sinistra" wich is left side and the other side will show a D, I think it means "Destra" wich is right side
For sure not, makes no sense in that application. As well as then an 'A' (check out Marcel's link in #1) wouldn't make any sense.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
It's interesting that the famous "GTA" headers were supplied with TI Super, 105.16 part numbers and were catalogued for 1300, 1600, and 1750 engines but--- owing to significant height differences---not for 2 liter engines. This causes me to think that the differences in numbers stamped on the heads might have more to do with the batches being produced than with actual design differences.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
To add a bit of confusion, I got a second pair of headers, same dimensions as the 2 above. Both marked with A430
Both Numbers the same. This is consistent with what I believe I had as noted in Post #6 above. A set for 1600 and a set for 1300. each set with numbers matching.

Ken

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
It's interesting that the famous "GTA" headers were supplied with TI Super, 105.16 part numbers and were catalogued for 1300, 1600, and 1750 engines but--- owing to significant height differences---not for 2 liter engines. This causes me to think that the differences in numbers stamped on the heads might have more to do with the batches being produced than with actual design differences.
It is my understanding that 1750 and 2 litre engines are the same height. 1600 lower and 1300 lower still. The 1600 headers fit and work with a 1750 in the engine bay. Probably the 1600 headers will not clear on a 1300 engine in the engine bay.

Ken

1 - 18 of 18 Posts