Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do ? I'm new to Alfa Romeo. I've jumped in with both feet A Lotus 23 I bought has a 1300 GTA engine. It really is a beautiful engine. I'm told that distributor caps are all but unobtainable so I am looking for a source of these and everything 1300 GTA. Thanks a bunch. brad moore.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Hi WBMOORE. There are a few places you can get the caps and other bits. I'll email you the sites when I get home

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
Sell the GTA engine and buy a Coventry Climax, Lotus-Ford or Ford BDA engine, IMHO. The BD-series engines are light years ahead of that Alfa twin cam. More appropriate to that 23, too.

Alex.

·
Super Moderator
11,385 Posts
GTA caps and rotors.

Alex is right, but he did not mention you should donate the GTA engine to me;)!
The caps are available from Christian Ondrak (Ok Parts). They are a high quality replica, and he has rotors as well. I have also learned how to modify the more common Montrial rotor, to use that cap and rotor system. I may have a modified assembly in my shop if you are interested. Christinans assembly is superior in materials to the original units. My modified assembly also is of better material. I AVOID making any more as the machine work on the aluminum, rotor drive is a complex machining job. However once you own this part, you can use Montrial components forever. I built these in the period before the reproductions were available.
Best,:D Gordon Raymond

·
Registered
354 Posts
Lotus

Brad-
Got any pics of the car (and engine) you can post.
Would love to see some pics of the 23

-JT

·
Premium Member
21,361 Posts
This kind of engine swap was not uncommon at the time. The Twin Cam Lotus may be more developed, but the GTA engine certainly has the unusual and cool factor going for it.

Andrew

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
How do ? I'm new to Alfa Romeo. I've jumped in with both feet A Lotus 23 I bought has a 1300 GTA engine. It really is a beautiful engine. I'm told that distributor caps are all but unobtainable so I am looking for a source of these and everything 1300 GTA. Thanks a bunch. brad moore.

Hi, for those of us interested in such things, could you post the serial number of the GTA engine and perhaps some pictures.

Thanks

KEn

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Guys.

Thanks for all the input.....this is a very active BB. Sorry for this mass-mailing.

Akitaman......thanks for the site. It has everything I need on the first page.

emr5503.....I'll pm you.

Insoc......It is "custom". Very well thoughtout and executed by the P.O.

Alex....every Climax I've known has been a Pain in the A. The clubs I'll race the car with won't allow a BD. I agree with....

Andrew......It will be a (somewhat) unique car. Plus the engine bay has been modified to accept the AR, so to put a Lotus TwinCam (or anything else) will be a buncha work.

Gordon......Great site.....now I have to learn Italian AND German.

JohnT...... photo of car is posted. Engine is out of car, in pieces and on the shelf.

kengta......I will get the numbers the next time I go to the shop. It will be a while as I am in the middle of a move. I assume the numbers are on the block.

Once again........thanks for the input. You guys are much more help than the Lotus guys. brad moore.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Naw,

In my experience with Lotus, the Brits are to blame, thier level of help depends on:

1. Are they on Holiday?
2. Are you buying them a pint?
3. Things have to be on the cheap.
4. They can be very competitive, and helping anyone might give away their shop secrets.
5. Helping costs money, they only work 30 hours a week, see 1 and 2... :D
6. TADTS... They all do that Sir...

Most of this is Humor, My Elise experience was all good, with alot of information freely shared. The Lotus 23 on the other hand is a bit more rare...

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
The Lotus 23 on the other hand is a bit more rare...
And don't forget that it could be Lots Of Trouble (Usually Serious) :rolleyes:

Seriously though, they're a great car - just don't be tempted to put 'wobbly web' wheels on it (the story goes that they were originally made out of old oil drum lids, but that could just be a vicious rumour ...). Kelvedon Lotus in the UK are very knowledgable, as is Len Selby etc. Of course, you've got Dave Bean in the US, too. Best of luck with the project!

Alex.

·
Registered
505 Posts
GTA ignition parts

Hi WBMOORE. There are a few places you can get the caps and other bits. I'll email you the sites when I get home
Hello I was looking for a tread on LED light from Improc and I can across this post from you.
As I am rebuilding a GTA engine, it'smore a GTA head on a 1600 Nord engine.
But I am looking for parts to use a Montreal housing on a GTA/Nord engine.

When you are able to reproduce these addresses for me also I would be realy greatfull.
Best regards
Rob Landman

1 - 14 of 14 Posts