Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have details and pictures of how to convert standard GTV to GTA type door handles with loops and push button? Parts are available through alfaholics and interested in the coversion but wondering how door is prepped and mechanism is hooked up.

Do most people patch the door skin whole where handle was or replace entire door skin with fibre or something else?

Thanks

· Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok after about two hours of searching I am still empty handed. I found two post where people have asked similar questions and gotten no response or the same response as above "it has been posted just search."

Anyone have a link or details and pics of how this conversion is done?

Thank you,

· Registered
819 Posts
It is fairly straight forward once you remove the existing handle & fill the holes, the hardest part is welding in the pieces of metal to fill the existing handle & key holes (and then repainting the doors/car). Somewhere on this board are the measurements on where to place the GTA button and door pull... I can't seem to find my template right now.... The button lines up with the door latch release tab on the inside and no real mods are needed.

· Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you. That is what I was thinking after hearing there is a template. Sure max can send details and template with the parts. Thank you

j

· Premium Member
522 Posts
It is fairly straight forward once you remove the existing handle & fill the holes, the hardest part is welding in the pieces of metal to fill the existing handle & key holes (and then repainting the doors/car). Somewhere on this board are the measurements on where to place the GTA button and door pull... I can't seem to find my template right now.... The button lines up with the door latch release tab on the inside and no real mods are needed.

Regarding the release latch... That is in a horizontal position in the original set-up, thus you can never reach it with the GTA push button, correct?

In my opinion you would have to change the angle of the latch almost 90 degrees so it is in line with the button. That way the latch position also "dictates" the position of the button.

The latch position can be changed very easily by filing off the top of the little pin that holds it in position (somewhere halfway), then lift it just a little with a flat screwdriver so you can move it. Align it with the doorskin. mark, and weld.

It took me about 2 hours from figuring out how to do it to completion.

(have to admit my doors are polyester, so easy drilling/filing to fit the push button.)

I had never seen how it was done for "real" so to say, but this seemed to make the most sense. If anyone could tell me how it HAD to be done I'd be real glad.

I do have pictures from my set up that I would love to share, but I do not have a photobucket or so at this point, so if anyone would post my pics please let me know and I'll mail them.

Kind regards,

JC

· Premium Member
522 Posts
It Worked

:D

I hope these pics make it more clear.
@ Mound Dawg: If you look close you'll recognise your sliding window kit. I guess it was one of the first shipped...

JC

· Premium Member
341 Posts
button installation, mix and match

To reach the opening mechanism and to provide plenty of contact area, I remember welding a small tab (5/8 in?) at a right angle to the inside end of the button.
What I wasn't able to incorporate was the rod that runs between the inside door handle and the door lock device, on the passenger side. Maybe I missed something, but I think (this was seven years ago) that rod tied to workings of the pot metal handle that was removed. Anyway, some day I'll replace the non-locking passenger side button with a locking one.
My '71 GTV had to have paint, so the time was right to fill in the original handle openings and re-drill. I also stepped down to smaller tail lights, as on a '69. That meant a back-up light opening below the bumper.
Richard
Colorado

· Registered
591 Posts
Hi
I have just fitted GTA style buttons .
Should the flat section be at the side (90 degrees )
or the bottom (180) ?
Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Vehicle door Automotive lighting

· Registered
2,808 Posts
Has anyone cut a scallop in the body behind the door instead of installing the grab handle? That's more body work, but would be great to grab the back of the door while pushing the button by sliding your fingers into a recess cut out of the body.

· Registered
375 Posts
I'm sure you "could", it would just take a bit of work and planning. As you may know Sprint Speciale's are like that. One area they differ is SS's don't have the outer door gasket on the outer edge like GT's do, you'd likely need to eliminate that or cut it into two sections.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.