Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there Alfrisi
I have a question that has puzzled me for ages. I have seen many dashes on the 105 series and in particular the central part where the dials go. I have seen wood veneer and leather...
HOWEVER...
What is used to make that rather nice “pebble” effect? I am pretty sure it’s not a covering material (but that’s why I am asking the question)
Does anyone know WHAT it is?
03A78E99-08CB-4204-87F9-1909DA256A79.jpeg

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Those early dashes on sprint Gt and GTA were a pressure moulded paper or wood product. Quite light. Hard to find especially in RHD. Fibre glass repro might suit your nead.

Ciao

Ken

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ken
Thanks for your really quick reply....l have actually got the GRP dash in RHD....I should have said..sorry..
However it is all smooth I want to try and get the look of the picture supplied...
Any ideas?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi 6alfas,
Many thanks...that’s certainly some serious pro work there...
Saw the article too but pictures were quite small so could not see the detail too well and as they say..
“A picture paints (literally!) a thousand words..

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Here are some photos of my dash I restored 7 yrs or so ago. It was a wood grain dash, the pebble grain was from a truck bed liner spray can, then sprayed over with SEM paint. The results were very satisfactory. In some photos the dash looks blue but that is a lighting illusion.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi classicalfas
That my friend is a fantastic job. I assume this is grey? (gray!) SEM paint? I am not in the fortunate position of having the type of dash you have as mine is the one piece GRP type. But with some careful masking and trial runs (not running paint mind!) l will hope to achieve a result similar.....
Can I ask, can you remember the truck bed paint you used and the colour (color..haha) of the SEM paint you used?
Once again..absolutely lovely job there....
Rob

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi again classicalfas
That key for the ignition looks interesting....any chance of a photo of that too..is it a custom key?
Rob

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
These are the paints I used for the dash. The SEM textured paint first, then the grey. Yes, the key is custom, sterling silver and brass screws and nuts. I have these for all my Alfa’s.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi classicalfas
Many thanks...I will look into these paints. I love your keys...beautiful attention to detail. I am assuming you have adapted Alfa products to make the keys?
Best wishes
Rob

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Nope, these are cast from molds as a key holder. They are 3 pieces, the center is a skeleton that holds the key in place while the front and back sandwich the center. They cost around $200ea, pricey but absolutely beautiful.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I went through a similar process as Classic Alfas. My dash was pretty beat when I started, so had to repair a gaping hole in it as well as "bodywork" it so the lines were all good again. I tried a couple of different paints to get the texture I was striving for and landed on a Duplicolor Trunk paint. One other tip: At least in my area it was hard to find a really good selection of grey paints. However, I stumbled across an incredible selection at my local art store as they have literally hundreds of colors geared toward the graffiti artist crowd. Who knew? I picked a slightly darker grey than would be typical (I'm building a GT, not a GTA that is hyper original) as it matched the rest of the interior color palette I'm going for. Patience is your friend in landing the exact texture you want. Good luck.
dash.JPG
dash paint2.jpg
dash paint3.jpg
dash paint4.jpg
dash paint5.JPG
dash in.jpg

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Trich
Many thanks for your information it’s really helpful. You have done an absolutely beautiful job also. I can see you are doing a beautifully detailed restoration there. As stated before I am not as fortunate as you in that you could (can) split your dash into three main parts whereas I have a one piece GRP one. But you are absolutely correct in that patience (and more patience) is key to this...as you have to LOOK constantly at this area when the job is completed.
I hope this is a good help for all others out there contemplating this sort of task. All your contributions are absolutely INVALUABLE

1 - 14 of 14 Posts