Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang,
I recently saw a GTA (RHD) and was surprised to see 10502/A on it's ID plate (check out the pic). I always thought that 1600 GTA's were type 10532 and that 10502 was the base Sprint GT.

Actually, thinking about it, I have no idea what to expect to see and so could anyone spell out the various formats, prefixs, etc. for the chassis/ body/engine/VIN numbers for 1600 GTA's and 1300 GTA Juniors?

Cheers
Noel aka DuckMcF
My mind's untidy, but my whisky's neat.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Hi,

Did you take a picture of or note the serial number of the GTA in the picture??

Please post a picture if you have one.

ciao

Ken

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Did you take a picture of or note the serial number of the GTA in the picture??

Please post a picture if you have one.

ciao

Ken
Unfortunately, no.
I took a few photo's of the car and only noticed the ID plate when I got home. The photo I posted was a crop from a larger engine bay photo.

Cheers
Noel aka DuckMcF

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
FWIW, the majority of GTA's I have seen have 105.02/A as chassis plate. In fact, I blieve I have only ever seen two with a 105.32 chassis plate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FWIW, the majority of GTA's I have seen have 105.02/A as chassis plate. In fact, I blieve I have only ever seen two with a 105.32 chassis plate.
Thanks for that. I thought that 105.02/A had to be OK, but curiosity got the better of me so I had to ask....

Cheers
Noel

·
Registered
563 Posts
Of course 105.02/A is precisely what a 1600 GTA is - alleggerita version of a Sprint GT!

105.32 was used for the parts numbers of special parts in the books but all block numbers should be 105.02/A as are the type I.D. plates.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
If Alfa published documents are to be believed, then there are two designations for the LHD 1600 GTA. Information Sheet (I.S.) 13.70.2.1 lists the GTA as model type 105.02/A and was fitted with a type 00532 engine. I.S. #0.00.059 lists the GTA as being a type 105.32. A third Alfa publication, the Alfa Dealers Parts & Accessories Operating Procedures manual, lists the type 105.32 as a USA version vehicle. It was (is) common Alfa practice to assign different model type numbers to like vehicles of different markets (105.44 & 105.51 being Euro and USA version 1750 GTVs for example). So perhaps this is why two type numbers are listed.
The Operating Procedures manual (for the USA version) goes on to list the first chassis number as 10532.613001 and the first engine number as 00502/A 18501. First year of production was 1965. Interesting to note that the engine serial number differs from the engine type number. Quite uncommon.

The RHD 1600 GTA carries a 105.04/A type designation while the GTA 1300 Junior was assigned model type 105.59.

·
Registered
323 Posts
It seems that Noel photographed GTA #752547, which was for sale by Carpoint in Australia, see "What an amazing 1600 gta for sale" on these pages

752547 20070522 Carpoint AUS Dutton 005.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It seems that Noel photographed GTA #752547, which was for sale by Carpoint in Australia, see "What an amazing 1600 gta for sale" on these pages

View attachment 77638
Arrrhhh, so it's 752547. I was really kicking myself for not noting that when I saw the car. Does anyone know if 752547 has any racing history?

I must admit I'm between Alfa's at the moment, but I'm really feeling the call of the "Cross and the Serpent". Years ago I had a couple of hairy moments coming down Mt. Hotham in my 75 Twin Spark and so when I got home I traded it for an Audi 90 quattro 20V.

Quattros really do kick ar*e when you're above the snow line in that it's been years since I've had to fit snow chains, but back in town I really miss my old Twin Spark as the Audi is just too clinical, but as usual, I digress.....

Cheers
Noel aka DMcF

Attachments

·
Registered
548 Posts
Arrrhhh, so it's 752547. I was really kicking myself for not noting that when I saw the car. Does anyone know if 752547 has any racing history?

I must admit I'm between Alfa's at the moment, but I'm really feeling the call of the "Cross and the Serpent". Years ago I had a couple of hairy moments coming down Mt. Hotham in my 75 Twin Spark and so when I got home I traded it for an Audi 90 quattro 20V.

Quattros really do kick ar*e when you're above the snow line in that it's been years since I've had to fit snow chains, but back in town I really miss my old Twin Spark as the Audi is just too clinical, but as usual, I digress.....

Cheers
Noel aka DMcF
752547 has no racing history, but it's original cylinder head competed in the Alpine Rally in 1983 in a 1750 coupe, and won the Improved Production State Championship in Victoria in 1988, fitted to a 2 litre Alfetta GTV!
I'm sure it's still the same head in the photo; see the small machined down step at the area under the rear cylinder head nut? That's part of the result of much work to get a "retired hurt" GTA head back to running condition, and win a championship to boot!
The head sat around damaged for many years before I obtained it, and it just so happened that the person restoring 752547 walked into my shop looking for other parts and, hey presto; the head went back to its original car after 30 years of separation.
Makes you get all misty eyed doesn't it?
Vin.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Hi Gang,
I recently saw a GTA (RHD) and was surprised to see 10502/A on it's ID plate (check out the pic). I always thought that 1600 GTA's were type 10532 and that 10502 was the base Sprint GT.

Actually, thinking about it, I have no idea what to expect to see and so could anyone spell out the various formats, prefixs, etc. for the chassis/ body/engine/VIN numbers for 1600 GTA's and 1300 GTA Juniors?

Cheers
Noel aka DuckMcF
My mind's untidy, but my whisky's neat.
Heres a pic of what my RHD GTA 752507 carried. 10504/A which is I think more consistant as 10504 was the base RHD Sprint GT, No ?

Ciao

Ken

Attachments

·
Registered
748 Posts

Cheers
Noel aka DMcF
That car is gorgeous... how much did it go for?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It was never disclosed (at least not to me ;-) but they had AU$150k on it at the time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts