Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Goodmorning everyone!
Ask for help, I have been restoring the gta rhd that my father bought in 1969 for many years. Since then he has always remained in the family.
However, after years of work and money spent, I have almost reached the end of the restoration ...
All I need is the clutch lever (for rhd) that has been lost over the years, can anyone help me?
I am attaching some photos
Thank you
Matteo Grandi

Attachments

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Hello Matteo. Welcome to the Alfa BB.

I am very happy to hear from a RHD GTA owner.

The clutch lever you are looking for; is it the one that attaches to the under floor bracket and pin shown in your first picture?

If so you will most probably need to source it used in the UK. I am away from my documents but I am pretty sure that it is likely common to the RHD GT and probably RHD Spider and RHD Giulia.

Once I am home next month I may be able to help you find one.

In the mean time you can email me at

kendgb at aol dot com

Ciao

Ken

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Hi Matteo,
Is this the bracket ?
Regards Steve
The L-Shaped bellcrank in the picture, part # 105.09.44.
030.00, is what I was trying to describe.

Ken

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hello Matteo,
Another RHD GTA lives! What a great story the car having been in the family for so long. Fantastic! Yours is the second RHD GTA discovered in Italy after a long period (Alfaholics, 752578). Is there any particular reason why RHD would be sold there?
If there is anything I can be of assistance with please ask.
regards,
Vince. GTA 572556

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Vsharp many thanks for your kindness! This is the story of my gta:
Produced in 1965 it was sold in Siena in 1966 and was later sold to San Giovanni Valdarno (province of Florence) where the number plates change to the current FI 436776.
In 1968/69 thanks to a great friend and mechanic of the famous SCAR of Florence (the legendary Paolone) The GTA was bought by my father who was driving it until 1971 and after an incident he decided to turn it into a left-hand drive.
In 1974, not happy, my father ends up astray with the gta and instead of scrap he decides to park her at home ....
Towards the 2000s we decided to start the restoration and bring back the right-hand drive to avoid compromising originality.
To date we have not yet completed the long restoration but we are almost there!
The only thing that has been lost over the years and we can't find are the front brake disc guards, the ones that go between the brake disc and the spindle that are specific for the 1600 gta, if anyone has a pair to sell. .....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Not only in Italy but also elsewhere racecars are quite often RHD.
Most circuits are clockwise, i.e. most turns go to the right. So you can steer a little sharper with RHD.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Not only in Italy but also elsewhere racecars are quite often RHD.
Most circuits are clockwise, i.e. most turns go to the right. So you can steer a little sharper with RHD.
Eduard, I agree what you say, in fact a RHD Giulia balances up more evenly with the driver's weight than does a LHD car for all tracks. I think this is why some 8 (?) went to the USA for Trans Am racing.
However, both these Italian RHD GTAs were only as road cars so far as appears. It is unusual in that only 50 RHD GTAs were ever produced for world distribution, & at least 2 were used on road in Italy.
Rgds, Vince.

·
Registered
574 Posts
In Italy of GTA rhd there are 4 of which I know and all in road version
Hi Matteo,
do you know all their numbers? I am aware of 752675 Conrero (Alfaholics), 752578 white (Alfaholics), plus your 752691.....& other/s?
Vince.
PS, Australia: 752545, 752547, 752556, 752561.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Autodelta as official cars has only prepared one ....
14 RHD came to USA in 1966. 13 of which raced in the Trans Am Series. 12 were prepared at Autodelta and 2 of those may have been factory sponsored. We know where most but not all are. Some are presumed crashed and scrapped.

I certainly look forward to hearing of the Italian cars. Tabuchi lists the 50 numbers produced. Alleggerita 2nd ed list those known at time of publication.

Ciao

Ken

·
Administrator
12,564 Posts
Watching with enthusiasm

Pete

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
More photos of the engine number and chassis I hadn't posted ....
I don't really agree with both the philosophy of the ASI and the RIAR, I will never homologate one of my cars to these associations (said by an Italian: it's all a MAFIA !!).
However I don't know if all the photos previously posted correspond to the gta of Montini, I am not able and I don't even think to say if it is or is NOT a GTA.

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,564 Posts
Heck that is a big job.

Pete

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hi Matteo,
Big job on 752691 & what a great result. It looks like it began in need of much attention, you have certainly gone the whole way. Congratulations. And I see from you body-off picture that your car certainly started life correct as RHD!

PSK, in the interior shot of the disputed 752654, the gas pedal hole is in the correct place for LHD, however the LHD brake/clutch pedal opening has been moved the the right side. Which of course is NOTHING like & NOT EVEN IN THE SAME POSITION as the genuine factory method of RHD pedal mounting. To you & I who live in RHD countries, this is plainly obvious, but to others who may have never seen original RHD method & components....??
Vince.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Congratulations to Matte on doing such a fine restoration on his GTA, that car has had excellent craftsman and engineers rebuild it with such care. Regarding the 752654 I too feel certain the interior photo has been flipped, just how could you drive such a car with the pedals so close to the transmission hump? Based on my RHD Sprint GT that location is off by approximately 200 mm.
Tim

1 - 20 of 31 Posts