Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The restoration of GTA 752507 was near enough complete to take her to the SVRA Vintage Grand Prix and the Historic GP re-enactment on the streets, at Watkins Glen this past weekend.

I drove the re-enactment through the streets and roads around Watkins Glen to the cheering and waving of the race fans. Roman Tucker drove the WGI road course.

We did a champaign re-launching of 752507 Saturday evening.

The quality and authenticity of the restoration was admired by all.

We did suffer some mechanical teething problems but for me a WOW weekend after 27 years of ownership.

Pictures, (not the best exposures, sorry) are on the grid at the start of Group 3 race.

More to follow.

Regards

Ken

Attachments

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
1972 Lime Rock TA Livery

We restored to the 1972 Lime Rock TA Livery.

Ciao

Ken

Attachments

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Ken,
It was a real pleaseure to see the finished product on the track. Congratulations to you and Roman!!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Congratulations Ken, Great to see such an important GTA that has inspired so many over the years restored the way it should be. Very well done. Hope you get to enjoy it for many years!

·
Super Moderator
12,302 Posts
I've been waiting and waiting to see this one again Ken. Last time was at AUSCA MANY years ago. Great to see it again with a new life! Thanks for the pictures!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Hallo Ken,

as i had many GTAs , but never saw one racing with bumpers, frontspoiler but no lights?

Are there another homologation form for racing in north america?

regards
Uli

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hallo Ken,

as i had many GTAs , but never saw one racing with bumpers, front spoiler but no lights?

Are there another homologation form for racing in north america?

regards
Uli
Hey Uli, Maybe not Homologation rules per se, but SCCA rules/requirements for that year Trans Am, 1972, which could have varied from the 1972 SCCA B- Sedan rules, but I don't know, others may.

1972 certainly differed from previous Trans Am years. Again I am not sure but 1966 Trans Am may have been the only year that Trans Am rules mirrored FIA rules.

Alfa's carried a weight penalty because of Double Over Head Cam versus SOHC of the other makes and push rod of still others.

Ciao

Ken

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
What a great car!

Dear Ken,

Congratulations on a job well done. The car looks great!

Ciao, Olaf

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ken

Looks great - very well done. Would love to see engine and other details.....

Peter
That will come along with the rest of the story as I understand it.

Thanks for your and the other's compliments.

Ciao

Ken

·
Premium Member
22,969 Posts
I gotta get in on this thread. I was one of many teen Alfa nuts who had a Bobcor poster on his wall at the time. Amazing job.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Ulrich in Germany-

B-sedan rules said the bumpers had to stay, but headlights could be removed but no air could be drawn-through the openings for other purposes. Those who are familiar with the 71 finale at Laguna would probably agree with me that the bumpers came in handy that day!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Hi Ken,
Very nicely restored. Congrats. I'd love to see it in person.
I'll let my dad know its finally done!

Regards,

·
Super Moderator
12,302 Posts
From my experience, the Old Racers are never completely done. You are always fiddling with one thing or another just like when they raced.
My own current example is my AUSCA spider that ran an oil cooler with no thermostat in racing. I eliminated the oil cooler for street and show, and stupidly sold it. This past HOT summer, it was needed for any street use, so I made up a whole new assembly WITH a thermostat and re-installed same. No longer a cheap or quick job to replicate what we did at AUSCA 45 years ago! The original AUSCA cooler came from a Beech Bonanza aircraft engine. To buy one today, new, costs as much as the original car did in '65! They NEVER are really complete!:D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Well, its complete enough to take for a spin...thats all that counts!!!!
I'm still doing things to my car nearly 15 years later...

·
Registered
60 Posts

The car looks great Ken - Congratulations! Looking forward to seeing it in person..

One my earliest memories as a kid was seeing the two team cars in the back of Cozza's shop in Buffalo being worked on - the yellow really stood out..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts