Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have just purchased the 1965 Alfa GTA AR613599. It has been confirmed that this car was built in 1965 and then shipped together with two other 1600 and two T33 to Brazil in 1967. The car was owned between 1967 and 2007 by one person, who sold it to us. The car seemes to have raced in Brazil with some success under the team Equipe Jolly, I have some photos and result lists, among the drivers where Pace, Fittipaldi etc.

Does anyone know more about this car? I am happy to provide results and photos, we are currently restoring the car back to its old glory.

Best regards,
Jan

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Was there a GTAm with similar livery?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I thought that the number AR613599 was familiar to me but I was wrong,
unless there is a mis-print somewhere (but what a coincidence!) .

In June? 2003 an ex. Jolly - Club GTA # AR613699 was sold at a Coy's auction in the UK for about £17,000; it had failed to sell in an auction in Monte Carlo prior to that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, but you must be mistaken, AR613699 was last time in Europe in 1966. In the meantime I have found with the help of the vendor much more information about the car. It has been featured a couple of times in the Brazilian magazine Auto e Sporte throughout the sixties (I now have all the original magazines) and was also the featued car of a TV program on TV Globo in Brazil, I found the coverage on youtube:

Although I do not speak Portuguese, it is very nice to watch (can anyone translate?)

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Although I do not speak Portuguese, it is very nice to watch (can anyone translate?)
It's not my native language, but I do speak Portuguese fluently... so here you go!

Silvia Garcia:
(0.06) Buono giorno! It's got to be a good day because the model you are about to see beats with an Italian heart.

Narrator:
(0.16) Those Italians have a story to tell. In 1966 (Italian) Piero Gancia became the first (formal) champion of Brazilian Automotive competition, driving an Alfa Romeo.

Piero Gancia:
(0.30) We began competing in public events several years before; That Alfa (GTA) came years later...

Narrator:
(0.041) The Alfa GTA belonged to Emilio (Zambello), the driver who shared the helm with Piero.

Emilio Zambello:
(0.46) The car was built by the Alfa (factory) itself. A car to compete in the Gran Turismo (racing) category - internationally!

Narrator:
(1.06) The GTA was born for the tracks. It won the European championship three times, competing against the other great marques.

Silvio Zambello:
(1.14) It (the GTA) has 4 cylinders. It has two spark plugs per cylinder. So we have eight spark plugs. This is a period difference, precisely to achieve a better fuel burn.

Narrator:
(1.25) The car was built with a secret that other period cars didn't have.

Alvaro de Oliveira (Americana, SP):
(1.30) The letter "A" (in GTA) is from the word "alleggerita", which in Italian means "lightened", less weight. And it is a very appropriate name because in this version the steel of the body was replaced by aluminum. Result: a weight savings of 200 kilograms.

Narrator:
(1.47) Light, plus a great engine. 2.0 (liters) with 190 horses. If this is already a respectable figure today, imagine what it was in the 1960's decade, when it started racing. Light, every curve was a thrill.

Silvio Zambello:
(2.04) This car has a triangle in the rear suspension. Precisely when you planted a wheel... If you were making a left turn the car would plant the right wheel, then it would bring the left wheel down and at the same time it would raise the front wheel...

Narrator:
(2.21) The world of the Alfa GTA is a symphony on to itself.

Alvaro de Oliveira (Americana, SP):
(2.26) A characteristic of racing cars, with the engine revving low is that it feels like this... The car doesn't go; it drags itself... So you have to be smooth, quick, when you shift and you have to press the accelerator.

Narrator:
(2.46) It may seem like child's play, but the final speed of this small car is 230 kilometers per hour. The sensation of driving this Alfa may seem a curiosity to today's onlookers, but the sensation of having been a champion 40 years ago is unforgettable...

Interviewer:
(3.03) Does it bring you back memories?
Emilio Zambello:
(3.05) Many,... the best of my life...​
I did a little research on the internet... The history of the Italian drivers, Piero Gancia and Emilio Zambello, both of whom emigrated to Brazil is also well documented, and there are period pictures of the car.

A great GTA indeed. I'll be looking forward to following this thread.

Congratulations, Jan!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Enrique, many many thanks for the professional translation, I highly appreciate it! Indeed, if you research the car a bit deeper on the internet, you will find loads of stuff about its drivers, the equipe Jolly (nothing to do with Jolly Club, but they liked the name) and its race results. I have every single race result of this car (and its sister car) and it seems that also drivers like Pace, Fittipaldi and Diniz drove the car. It is a real warhorse, the first race was in 1967 , the last in 2007 with Zambello jnr. at Interlagos, 40 years of active racing!

The car is now under technical restoration in the UK with Tom Shepard of GTS Motorsport and should be finished soon. During restoration we found out that the car only had three layers of different white tones since new and left it all untouched and original.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I believe that this is the car that has been referenced in the literature to have both a 1900 and 2000cc engine. Has it had both or one of them. What does it have now? Is it a 1750/2000 block or a 1600/1900 block?

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Enrique, many many thanks for the professional translation, I highly appreciate it! Indeed, if you research the car a bit deeper on the internet, you will find loads of stuff about its drivers, the equipe Jolly (nothing to do with Jolly Club, but they liked the name) and its race results. I have every single race result of this car (and its sister car) and it seems that also drivers like Pace, Fittipaldi and Diniz drove the car. It is a real warhorse, the first race was in 1967 , the last in 2007 with Zambello jnr. at Interlagos, 40 years of active racing!

The car is now under technical restoration in the UK with Tom Shepard of GTS Motorsport and should be finished soon. During restoration we found out that the car only had three layers of different white tones since new and left it all untouched and original.
... if anyone is interested, I am happy to attach more photos or documentation ...
You are welcome, Jan... Like you said, there is a ton of information on the internet. The Brazilians have done a great job uploading a great deal of their automotive history. I enjoyed perusing through some of the web pages, and got sidetracked more than once... :)

It's good to read that this car is being brought back mechanically, but that it is still very original. It certainly seems like the Zambellos truly appreciated this serious competition car.

I'd love to see additional pictures on this thread... I was bit young when the GTA was introduced, but over the years I have developed a great appreciation for them... I've also been discovering that they did make an impact on the Atlantic side of South America... Are you familiar with the book The First Winning GTA by Bernardo Martinez, M.D.? If not, have a look at it. It's a great story, and the car sits today as it did 40 years ago, in its full and correct racing trim.

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
This is a great looking car. Another one of those "if only the car could speak" situations. Let's see some more pictures of it then and now. I may have missed it, but where is the car now located?

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I believe that this is the car that has been referenced in the literature to have both a 1900 and 2000cc engine. Has it had both or one of them. What does it have now? Is it a 1750/2000 block or a 1600/1900 block?
The car is mentioned in the results section of Adriaensens "Alleggerita" with a reference to displacement. You might also want to check out this thread:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/giulia-gta-gta-1300-jr-gtam-1965-19/73828-gta-2000-a.html
You may want to have a look at the Brazilian "Checkered Flag" pages on Emílio Zambello and Piero Gancia... (The pages are in Portuguese, but the race results are self-explanatory.)

The race results show that there are several GTAs that competed in Brazil, as Jan mentioned in his first post of this thread. Those pages also relate the history and association between the three Italians, Emilio Zambello, Piero Gancia, and Giuseppe Perego, who formed Scuderia Jolly. The second post of this thread shows a picture of the sister GTAs, number 23 and 25.

Looking at the race results, one can see that GTA #25 (the subject of this thread) competed with its 1570 cc engine from 1967 through May 1, 1970. In May 3, however, it competes with a 1985 cc engine and the results show that it does so again in 1971. Thus, only two engines. GTA #23, on the other hand, starts out with a 1570 cc engine, but then receives three additional engines: 1750 cc, 1840 cc and 1985 cc. These are not the only GTAs in the race results of the period. Most notably is #94, which first appears in the race results in April of 1970, with a 1290 cc engine. However, #94 later competes with a 1570 cc engine, and an 1840 cc engine...

Best regards,

Reactions: Zagato_Olaf

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As per Mr Zambello, my car always raced under the number 25, which it still wears until today.

He also confirmed that in the late 60ies, they used something he called a "big bore kit". As I understood, they used the 1.600 block with larger pistons and the twin spark plug head. There is no proof if they received these parts from Autodelta/Alfa Romeo or if it was a "do it yourself" project (I will research this a bit deeper and let you know).

Anyhow, I received the engine in that specification. From my point of view the engine was a bit tired, so I decided to have that engine sitting next to the car and to build a fully original 1.600 engine which will be used in the car. The new engine should be ready soon.

At the moment the car is still in the UK, but I will take it to Germany hopefully soon.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Italcarguy, there always must be some exceptions, mustn't it?
I should rather say 'in general' my car raced under the number 25, indeed, in the photo above the number 25 is on the GTAm.

I also found two very nice period videos on youtube showing my car in action:

Watch the white GTA with the Italian flag to the front and enjoy the period sound track.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
He also confirmed that in the late 60ies, they used something he called a "big bore kit". As I understood, they used the 1.600 block with larger pistons and the twin spark plug head. There is no proof if they received these parts from Autodelta/Alfa Romeo or if it was a "do it yourself" project (I will research this a bit deeper and let you know).
The configuration that you describe is really only possible with a special block (similar to the F2 block), crank (8 counterweights) and mono-sleeve liners with special pistons. This is the 1840cc or 1900cc engine that is referred to and it could be run with either a wide angle or narrow angle head - the 190hp referred to would point towards wide angle and carbs. This is very special Autodelta stuff of which not too many were made of.

However, there is also mention made of a 1975cc engine - an error or another engine yet? -this raises the possibility of a GTAm motor. Autodelta set some cars up with those, eg GTA 2000. Definitely worth asking ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The configuration that you describe is really only possible with a special block (similar to the F2 block), crank (8 counterweights) and mono-sleeve liners with special pistons. This is the 1840cc or 1900cc engine that is referred to and it could be run with either a wide angle or narrow angle head - the 190hp referred to would point towards wide angle and carbs. This is very special Autodelta stuff of which not too many were made of.

However, there is also mention made of a 1975cc engine - an error or another engine yet? -this raises the possibility of a GTAm motor. Autodelta set some cars up with those, eg GTA 2000. Definitely worth asking ;)
This is now getting too technical for me, I will get the restorer to write a few words about the engine.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts