Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some Biographies I copied from the web site complete with what is I think are a current locations, should anyone care to track them down.

ROAD RACING DRIVERS CLUB- BIOS

Go to the site at and see some Driver Pics

Road Racing Drivers Club
http://www.rrdc.org/members_bios.asp

ED WACHS
Lake Bluff, Ill.

In the heyday of the SCCA Trans-Am Championship’s 2.5 Challenge division, Ed was one of the strongest Alfa Romeo competitors, driving his Alfa GTV … Between 1967 and 1983, he scored numerous podium finishes in that series, plus SCCA Super Vee, VW Scirocco Cup, Bilstein Rabbit Cup, the two-liter Can-Am class, and even USAC stock cars …Now focused on Vintage racing, he’s won nine races and the SVRA’s BOSS Championship.

George Alderman
Hockessin, Del.

Began racing in 1956 with an ex-Formula 3 Cooper-***. 1960 National Champion in Formula 3 1964 Runoffs champion in Formula Libre .1971 and 1974 IMSA Baby Grand champion with Datsun 510/AMC Gremlin . Overall winner in 1992 Nelson Ledges 24-Hour with Caterham S-7.

David Ammen
Cotuit, Mass.

Started racing in 1962 with Fiat Abarth Zagato. Raced in Runoffs for 20 years . Raced Porsches and Camaros in IMSA Endurance series . Member of SCCA Board of Governors for eight years, and President of Road Racing Drivers Club for six years.

Charles Barns
Dallas, Tex.

Began racing in 1959 with Alfa Romeo. 1964 Runoffs champion in G Modified. 29 race wins between 1966-68 in factory Ford Cortina. Raced SCCA Speed World Challenge GT in 2000-2001 with Corvette Z06 and Dodge Viper. Now active in Vintage racing.

HOWARD HANNA
Malvern, PA

Howard began his racing in 1952 in the small-bore SCCA Production classes with MG and D-B cars staying there until 1957. In 1958 he finished 2nd in the 12-hour race at Rheims, Germany. Won the Class A race that year in Nassau, and finished third in the Trans-Am series points driving an Alfa-Romeo

JEFF KLINE
Topanga, Calif.

Began racing in 1966 with a Lotus Super 7, and proudly claims he has never owned a race car. Won 87 SCCA Nationals between 1966-78. Major IMSA Camel GT series career with 19 wins in 127 starts, including 2 at Daytona, 3 in the 12 Hours of Sebring, 4 times at Riverside and Road America. Drove the TWR Silk Cut Jaguar in the 1989 24 Hours of Le Mans. Active Vintage racer for the last decade with European experience at Monaco and Goodwood

HORST KWECH
Gurnee, Ill.

Long before Horst took his Alfa-Romeo GTA’s to the small-bore professional sedan fight against Nissan, he was already a prominent Club racer, winning four consecutive Central Division championships, the first B Sedan National Championship in 1966 and with it, the SCCA’s President’s Cup … The next year he won the Under 2 Liter title in the SCCA Trans-Am Championship … In 1968-69 he, along with Peter Revson, were Shelby Racing’s factory Mustang drivers in the primary Trans-Am series class, but he returned to his beloved Alfas in 1970 and beat Nissan for the U-2 class title … In 1973, he tried the Formula 5000 series for a year with a Lola T300-Chevrolet., but in 1974 joined forces with noted engineer Lee Dykstra to build the DeKon Chevrolet Monzas which went head to head with Porsche in the IMSA Camel GT series; Al Holbert won two AAGT class championships with these cars … Back to driving, he won two VW Cup Super Vee races in 1980.

TOM MANKIN
Missouri City, Tex.

Alfa Romeo fanatic who began racing them in 1971. Won his first SCCA National Championship in 1983, then backed it up with consecutive repeat wins in 1988-89

Ciao

Ken

·
Registered
649 Posts
Errors in Horst Kwech's race history

Here are some Biographies I copied from the web site complete with what is I think are a current locations, should anyone care to track them down.

ROAD RACING DRIVERS CLUB- BIOS

Go to the site at and see some Driver Pics

Road Racing Drivers Club
http://www.rrdc.org/members_bios.asp

HORST KWECH
Gurnee, Ill.

Long before Horst took his Alfa-Romeo GTA’s to the small-bore professional sedan fight against Nissan, he was already a prominent Club racer, winning four consecutive Central Division championships, the first B Sedan National Championship in 1966 and with it, the SCCA’s President’s Cup … The next year he won the Under 2 Liter title in the SCCA Trans-Am Championship … In 1968-69 he, along with Peter Revson, were Shelby Racing’s factory Mustang drivers in the primary Trans-Am series class, but he returned to his beloved Alfas in 1970 and beat Nissan for the U-2 class title … In 1973, he tried the Formula 5000 series for a year with a Lola T300-Chevrolet., but in 1974 joined forces with noted engineer Lee Dykstra to build the DeKon Chevrolet Monzas which went head to head with Porsche in the IMSA Camel GT series; Al Holbert won two AAGT class championships with these cars … Back to driving, he won two VW Cup Super Vee races in 1980.

Ciao

Ken
Ken this RDDC site has some errors and omissions in Horst Kwech's history. Horst Kwech and Gaston Andrey won the U2L Trans-Am Championship in 1966. Kwech and Andrey had more points than the O2L drivers and would have won the drivers Championship and Alfa had more points than Ford. Kwech won the U2L Trans-Am again in 1970. Horst Kwech had a significant history in Australia as well that is not represented.

Bob

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
Dave Ammen

So I'm tinkering in my garage yesterday afternoon here on Cape Cod and suddenly a voice says something and scares the hell out of me. Here is a slight neatly dressed elderly man standing there saying----"Hello, my name is Dave Ammen and I'm a neighbor from down the street and I've always been tempted to stop to admire your Alfas and meet who owns them ( I have a white Super parked outside and a red 750 Spider veloce and a blue Giulietta Sprint and also a Fulvia)." He told me a few stories of racing and lore from a very meek and unpretentious perspective. What a delightful gentleman! He is 86 and still very keen. He owns a company called INSCO, Inc in Groton, MA that makes gears and is very well healed as he has homes in Marblehead, MA, here in Cotuit, and Hawaii as his card says and also when you can find him at each one. I can't wait to get back from a short trip to call him to take him for some rides. He especially had a soft spot for his GTA's and GTA Jr's. He said one of his cars was in Australia, I think he said. It will be a ball! Rick

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So I'm tinkering in my garage yesterday afternoon here on Cape Cod and suddenly a voice says something and scares the hell out of me. Here is a slight neatly dressed elderly man standing there saying----"Hello, my name is Dave Ammen and I'm a neighbor from down the street and I've always been tempted to stop to admire your Alfas and meet who owns them ( I have a white Super parked outside and a red 750 Spider veloce and a blue Giulietta Sprint and also a Fulvia)." He told me a few stories of racing and lore from a very meek and unpretentious perspective. What a delightful gentleman! He is 86 and still very keen. He owns a company called INSCO, Inc in Groton, MA that makes gears and is very well healed as he has homes in Marblehead, MA, here in Cotuit, and Hawaii as his card says and also when you can find him at each one. I can't wait to get back from a short trip to call him to take him for some rides. He especially had a soft spot for his GTA's and GTA Jr's. He said one of his cars was in Australia, I think he said. It will be a ball! Rick
Hi Rick, thanks for sharing this with us. I wonder if Dave would mind contact from anyone interested in the histories of his race GTAs. Maybe that record is all straight but if not now would be the time to see if Dave can add anything.

Please ask him if he can be contacted.

Regards

Ken

·
Registered
539 Posts
Hi Rick, thanks for sharing this with us. I wonder if Dave would mind contact from anyone interested in the histories of his race GTAs. May that record is all straight but if not now would be the time to see if Dave can add anything.

Please ask him if he can be contacted.

Regards

Ken
Hi Rick and Ken,
The value of this forum! Blueflame owns 613633 ex-Dave Ammen GTA, and I know he will see this and is certainly seeking more information about this car and its various Ammen/Rutherford siblings which all gets a bit confusing as to which car raced where etc.
It would be fantastic if Dave is willing to stretch the memory banks a bit and shed some light on it all.
Cheers,
Vince.

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
I am away from home for a week and will be happy to facilitate some interchange with Dave when I return if he is receptive. I am not sure how receptive he would be but it would be worth a try. It is clear he knows the whereabouts of the car in Australia but it will be difficult to pin him down on some of the history because I am 67 and I can remember the bicycle I owned when I was 12 but can't remember what I had for dinner last Saturday. He is 86. We'll see what my conversations bring. Is there a laundry list of stuff I can start with? Eventually, SKYPE connection would be the way to go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts