Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for opinions on these clutch pressure plates before I offer them for sale. One I had tagged as GTA / 1600 competition, it came as a spare with a 1600 competition engine I purchased, I never used it. The second one was just tagged GTV , it is unused.

In the following specs all mesurements are as close as "eyeballing" a ruler can provide, may be off a mm or two.

The specs are: GTA PP
F&S Typ KS 200KV
Yellow springs
Height OA - 70 mm
Height p/plate to spring retainer ring - 55mm
Spring height - 25mm
TOB plate OD - 70mm
TOB plate ID - 37mm

The specs : GTV PP ( I assume 1600 )
F&S Typ KS 200
Alternating yellow and white springs
Height OA - 70 mm
Height p/plate to spring retainer ring - 50mm
Spring height - 20mm
TOB plate OD - 70mm
TOB plate ID - 32mm

In the pictures - 1st picture GTA is top. 2nd picture GTA is right, 3rd picture GTA is top.
Anyone sure on the GTA / 1600 competition id?

Anne O

Attachments

·
Registered
816 Posts
GTA clutches

Hi
The first is a 1600 GTA. Your info is correct. The second is a GTA-JR. It is lighter in construction. One problem, is that the spring cups with those slotted holes eventually crack through between the slots. It can be rebuilt with standard cups.
KG

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, however your answer is confusing since it reverses the designations I indicated as to which p/p was labeled what. The clutch with the slotted spring cups is the one that was labeled GTA. The one with the solid spring cups was labeled GTV.
From the catalogs I have original replacement for all 1300 and 1600 engines was the same, F&S 1882/235/102. The GTA and TZ specified an different, identical for those 2 models, pressure plate, no part number listed.
I see no mention of a GTA-JR having it's own peculiar clutch. Any further info ?

·
Registered
380 Posts
clutches

Sorry, I mixed up the photos. The slotted clutch can be GTA-Jr or even TZ. These were probably ordered by Alfa or Autodelta direct from F&S, so there may not be a listing in normal parts catalogues. Does it have the all yellow springs? The heavier one can be street GTV or GTA depending on the spring colors. What do you plan to use them in?
KG

·
Super Moderator
12,446 Posts
GTA Pressure Plates

It gets more complicated than that, There was a lightweight TZ version as well. I believe this may be the one with the slotted spring towers. Weigh the 2 units. The lighter MAY be the TZ unit. These were fragile and we did not use them in GTA's after a few came apart. (as mentioned.) I have used both on the street and track, but have rebuilt the lighter units. This is NOT easy or cheaply done as the spring retainers are folded over the support ring. Easier to use the later, heavier ring, but if ones does that, why not just use the heavier unit? The spring colors have to do with compressed pressure. They used to be available as separate components. The KS 200 is the type most commonly found and used today. Each sector of three springs were White, Yellow, White. A white tag stuck on the last one I bought new said #1861-101-103. It weighs about 9 lb.on a bathroom scale, as new with no balancing holes.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
KG,
Thanks for the follow up. The p/p with the slotted spring has all yellow springs, one balance hole drilled, weighs 8.5 lbs by bathroom scale. The solid spring cup p/p has yellow and white springs as Gordon described above, 7 balance holes drilled, weighs 8 lb by bathroom scale. The only faith I have in this scale is that it indicates which is heavier.
As my 1600 engine is sans car and has a good clutch on it I was going to put these for sale.

·
Super Moderator
12,446 Posts
AnneO
Error, The 1861 tag was with the disc, not the Pressure plate! I have a few of these plates and discs in my shop in condition from new to junk. There are a couple of different discs used as well.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts