Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recent article in the November 2020 Classic & Sportscar on the restoration of 613102 mentions the high bolster rear bottom seat cushion to comply with FIA head room regulations ...

I have only seen three cars with those cushions .... all aluminum floor cars ... 613015, 613050 and 613102 (pictures in order).

The rest have flat bottom cushions (last picture). How does that fit ... usually there was an issue with insufficient headroom in GT cars for Touring Car homologation (eg Porsche 911). Why decrease headroom with a fatter seat cushion? Though the actual seat height might be the same ... but why the bolsters?

·
Registered
686 Posts
I wonder if the seat base on early cars were originally based on the GT one, with just the center section lowered simply to meet the FIA headroom dimension? Subsequent cars just getting the simplified more uniform, flatter base.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
that last picture of the that rear seat wrapped up in paper ( my photo as for copyright ) refers to a rhd gta produced on 25.07.1965, according to the owner of this nice video on youtube ( I'll past copy link ) the rear seats are hollowed out because in 1966, when they won the first European championship, the British complained that the car was not a touring car but was a gran touring car, and the abitacolo was also small and there was not enough cubage to say that it was a touring car, so in Alfa Romeo they "dug" to increase the cubature and fit into the homologation fiche... ( I have used google translate ) . the link , approx min. 18.00 : .
That would imply that in 1965 they made a flat base rear seat.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Those 'ballooned' seats still look a bit strange, but that video probably explains it. They must have 'dug out' the base all the way to the floor to give that appearance. Not that the GTA bases have much thickness in the middles anyway, only around 6 to 7 cm maybe.
Probably a case of whatever was required to meet the regulation. Interesting.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
sorry Vsharp,,,what "ballooned" seats look a bit strange ? the rear bench from the 1965 GTA rhd ? those seats were put aside shortly after the car arrived ( 25.11.1966 ) to the first owner, delivery date resulting from the certificato di origine I requested in February 2019. BTW skai nero fumo is what the certificate states as colour .

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just checked the parts book ... there are actually 2 part numbers for both bottom cushion and back rest ...

Which one is which? Back rests on the high bolster seats I have seen don't seem to look different from the flat ones ... but I haven't laid them out side by side.

BTW that is 613050 in the video ...

·
Registered
686 Posts
Hi Portello1966, the 'flat, normal' type as in the last of the photos (with the packing paper) tapers away thinner toward the rear, as can be seen in that photo. The other 'ballooned' ones in the other photos seem to be much thicker & deeper.
But I have only ever seen the flatter type, so know nothing about the others.
The different part numbers I had always assumed to be stradale & corsa.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I wonder if the seat base on early cars were originally based on the GT one, with just the center section lowered simply to meet the FIA headroom dimension? Subsequent cars just getting the simplified more uniform, flatter base.

Hallo Vince ,
The seat area of my 613015 was complete different to the later GTA , it was a preseries car complete made by Autodelta . I had some other 1600 GTA in my life , for example 613038 , the silver one , that i raced in the 1990 decade and sold 1997. But the rear seats from 613015 came to me with 613038 , both came as raced cars to me and were converted with non original engines and with wide fenders. The basepanel between the shocks from 615015 was modifid and the panel behind the backrest was open. But i dont know , if this was perhaps a later conversion in Belgium?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Hi Uli,
It maybe sounds like some early production cars may have had a seat where only the small middle lowered section may have had the FIA legal headroom measurement.? The slightly later more common type of very thin all over, flat seats probably met the regulation much easier without any argument with authorities. Do you think this sounds a likely reason for the different types?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Yes, Alfa Romeo had always problems with the homologation of the GTA as touring car. The distance between rearseats bottom and roof was critical. Ford always protested again the homologation , later also again GTAm . So Alfa introduced the casette in the roof , lowered seats and from August 1968 ( model 69 ) changed the basepanel of the rear seats. This modification cam together with the new type dashboard.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts