Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tested the compression on my 1600 today and all cylinders were bang on 200 psi.
That seems pretty high to me. The engine was warm and throttle wide open.
The car is fairly new to me so I'm not 100% sure if anything has been done to the engine. I know the head was refreshed a few years ago.
Does 200psi mean that it could have higher compression pistons? Or does it not necessarily follow? Or is 200 psi reasonably normal?

·
Registered
870 Posts
My 2 ltr that has done dyno mileage plus about 300 road miles has 195 on all cylinders, it has had 0.060" skimmed from the head.
Steve

·
Super Moderator
11,555 Posts
Uniformity is more important than the actual number. It is unusual for all to be exactly the same. Generally 1600's run 180 and up. Fresh engines with good valve seating and seated rings hot will go higher.
The issue is guage accuracy and in your case that all are exactly the same. There is always a small percent variance in the best of engine builds.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Gordon is right, my actual figures hot were 195, 193, 192 194, so all within a very small percentage of 195.
Steve

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah they were all the same and we checked a friends Guilietta and his were quite a bit lower and slightly different.
I guess it just confirms that the engine hasn't been used much since its refresh.

·
Super Moderator
11,555 Posts
Probably also a sign of quality engine work.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The reason I did the test was just to eliminate it as a problem.
I have some kind of fuelling issue, and it's on the idle circuit. I've started another thread describing it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts