Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1969 GTV 1750 Australia
316 Posts
Mine was riveted but when replaced I used a small amount of a good sealant adhesive

·
Registered
202 Posts
Can anyone explain how the rubber finisher in my picture is attached to the door glass channel guide? The original was rivetted and had a metal backing. The new one doesn't have any backing so guess it's just glued in?
Rivet it back in I am afraid otherwise the glass will push is out over time with just glue. Drill out the old rivet heads and then use new countersink headed rivets. The rubber has two little indents marking where the holes need to be. Then when the new ones are secured back in place use some 3m black super weatherstrip adhesive around the top outer edges an the frame... Once set, it'll look neat and the rubber will not ever come off when you wind the window up!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rivet it back in I am afraid otherwise the glass will push is out over time with just glue. Drill out the old rivet heads and then use new countersink headed rivets. The rubber has two little indents marking where the holes need to be. Then when the new ones are secured back in place use some 3m black super weatherstrip adhesive around the top outer edges an the frame... Once set, it'll look neat and the rubber will not ever come off when you wind the window up!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. My concern is that the new ones don't have any metal backing built in to the rubber like the original. If I were to rivet it to the frame the rubber will get really compressed without the metal backing. Also surely the rivets will stick out the other side into the quarter glass rubber seal aperture?

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
12,159 Posts
Thanks for the advice. My concern is that the new ones don't have any metal backing built in to the rubber like the original. If I were to rivet it to the frame the rubber will get really compressed without the metal backing. Also surely the rivets will stick out the other side into the quarter glass rubber seal aperture?
You should easily be able to check if there is a metal plate by trying to bend it. If you don't want to do that, use a pin and poke it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts