Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some info to understand the rarity of my particular car (1972 GT 1600 Junior).

I understand (correct me if im wrong :whistling:) that just over 14000 GT 1600 or 1.6 Juniors were made in total, but can anyone advise on how many single headlight 1600 Juniors (SERIES 2?)were produced?

they seem to be pretty rare to me, but ive yet to get my head around all the different marques as it seems there is a lot of cross overs in Alfa offerings in late 60/early 70's .

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
The Series 3 1.6 Jrs (single headlamp, smoothnose) were produced from 1972-1975 inclusive. Alfa allocated 9,944 chassis numbers for the 11503 LHD version and 1,057 chassis for the 11505 RHD model. Although Alfa allocated this many chassis, it by no means indicates how many were actually produced (a number which could be far less).

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Papajam,

So mine is termed a series 3

Only a maximum of 1057 RHD models made (mine is a RHD) !!

Best make a good job of the resto then!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At long last got the old girl I to the workshop. Removing the wheels revealed the extent of the rot. Front chassis rails rotten, crossmember rotten, front spring top mount rotten, rear strap mount non existent, sills/floors etc rotten,

Tbh if it wasn't 'one of a few' it probably wouldn't have dodged the breakers yard!

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
The Series 3 1.6 Jrs (single headlamp, smoothnose) were produced from 1972-1975 inclusive. Alfa allocated 9,944 chassis numbers for the 11503 LHD version and 1,057 chassis for the 11505 RHD model. Although Alfa allocated this many chassis, it by no means indicates how many were actually produced (a number which could be far less).
Wow, only 1,057 of the 115.05.
I've got (half of an original) one.
Guess I should be treating and thinking about her with a little bit more respect.

Anybody know how many made it to Australia, I've heard less than 40?

Apologies for the hijack :)

·
Registered
1,879 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
I agree, although it can't a have been many for Australia.
I really have no idea was just intrigued by a statement made in this ad.

>> 1974 Alfa Romeo 1600 GT Junior Cars For Sale in VIC - CarPoint Australia
Wow that one listed above seems in nice condition but a bit overpriced... alsmost 28'000 Eur, for a car that is alledgedly rust free... well makes me wonder how much mine is worth...

For my two cents, the most beautiful thing about these '72 1600 Juniors is that they have the AR00536 Engine.... guess what... yes the same engine as the Giulia GT Veloce.. and this IMHO is really a jewel engine. FWIW

Cheers Thomas

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
It's worth what the market will pay (it's been on the market a long time), that said I paid A$6.7k for mine (rusty rear floor) a few months back for its *00536 engine which will become a donor for my long term Duetto restoration (TS going in the Junior - going on the track).

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Hi Jim, wondering where my 4 head light, LHD 1600 GTj, 11503, 11 July 1975 build, fits into your stats? Interior is black of the 2 litre type.

ciao

Ken

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
As far as I've been told, seen and read they stopped making series 3 Juniors in about mid 1974. From then on until 1976 (possibly 1977 for some markets) the series 4 Juniors with the "unified" 2000 GTV appearance took over. Unless there was series 3-4 overlap!

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
For my two cents, the most beautiful thing about these '72 1600 Juniors is that they have the AR00536 Engine.... guess what... yes the same engine as the Giulia GT Veloce.. and this IMHO is really a jewel engine. FWIW

Cheers Thomas
Yes, strange to me, that they do use the AR00536 numbers for the engines but they are not the same or not all the same. The serial number is stamped on the left side bell house flange (not on the boss below the carbs). And the engine's block is the later type (like the 2 litre) with the spin on oil filter.

The crank shaft in mine is not hardened and uses an 8 bolt flywheel. The front of the head is marked as shown in the pictures.

Carbs are 40 DCOE 27's if I recall correctly.

If some did use the earlier engine with cartridge filter it would be good to know when the change over occured.

I expect that the dimensions of the moving parts are the same as the earlier 1600's.

FWIW

Ken

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Jim, wondering where my 4 head light, LHD 1600 GTj, 11503, 11 July 1975 build, fits into your stats? Interior is black of the 2 litre type.

ciao

Ken
Interesting. Late Juniors that look like yours are supposed to be tipo 115.34. Did your car come from the factory with the series 4 "unificata" 4-headlight front (plus 2000 GTV interior)? The 115.03 suggests it's a series 3 Junior (2-headlight). The 0001225 serial that it's a 1974 car according to Keith Booker's book (don't know how accurate it is). Don't get me wrong just trying to make sense of it all! (I have a 1973 1.6)

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Interesting. Late Juniors that look like yours are supposed to be tipo 115.34. Did your car come from the factory with the series 4 "unificata" 4-headlight front (plus 2000 GTV interior)? The 115.03 suggests it's a series 3 Junior (2-headlight). The 0001225 serial that it's a 1974 car according to Keith Booker's book (don't know how accurate it is). Don't get me wrong just trying to make sense of it all! (I have a 1973 1.6)
Hi

The build date I provided is from Fazio at Ar Doc Centre.

Looking at all the spot welds and fender joining butt welds I would say it came that way. Original sale to San Salvador.

Thx for your interest

Ken

1 - 20 of 56 Posts