Alfa Romeo Forums banner

481 - 500 of 526 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #483
Started work on passenger door, but ran out of cutting disks. This bottom section is much worse than drivers side with 20-30 holes where it’s rusted through and/or been badly patched. The picture shows why you don’t skin over rusty metal - behind the previous repair was just a mess of rust. I put cut out original pieces on door to display them.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #484 (Edited)
Using ‘lockdown’ time to the max in the workshop! Passenger door repair panel fitted. Needs a trial fit and final welding. Then it’s skins....just waiting for some sealer to arrive as will be applying that to the seam area before crimping doorskins on.

Also I have to say, the door bottom repair panels (from Classic Alfa) are really good for fit and accuracy. Pretty much no adjustments or finessing required!
3A683DAA-6E55-4591-AAAE-D40BD9BB42EB.jpeg

·
Administrator
12,545 Posts
Good work as usual. I honestly hate doors now ... they are what makes a car restoration so much more difficult than say a motorcycle restoration

Pete

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #486
Yes - bad fit ruins a resto and they are complex structures inside. You are doing a fantastic job rebuilding yours - the most work on doors I’ve ever seen! ?

·
Administrator
12,545 Posts
Yes - bad fit ruins a resto and they are complex structures inside. You are doing a fantastic job rebuilding yours - the most work on doors I’ve ever seen! ?
Thanks. Not finished yet so still plenty of time for stuff ups :). I've got myself into a bit of a quandary because absolutely I want to finish the shell asap, but I can't not get rid of all the rust that I find. It is possible that some of the rust I'm cutting out may never have shown its ugly head for 50 years, but ...

Pete

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #488 (Edited)
I know exactly how you feel. Having gone to all the trouble rebuilding this, I do not want a spec of corrosion left!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Looking great! I feel your pain, I had to go through the same amount of work to fix the doors, worth spending the time now!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #490
Thanks.
Yes you could have great car ruined with doors you have to slam or that don’t fit properly!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #491
Skin removed.
Mainly just surface rust inside. A couple of places rusted through. See repair patches awaiting welding in.

Will rust treat and maybe POR inside here I think.
3E870558-6B2C-4346-8ED6-CAFDC28B2B14.jpeg

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #493
No I was pleasantly surprised. Just the two patches needed up top. The rot was limited to the bottom - which I replaced

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #494
Passengers side done and ready from treatment/POR.

Drivers side a little tougher . Was filled with bitumen or sealer or something, that took an age to scrape off. A few pinholes and 4-5 repair sections along top edge needed.

83B6486A-74A6-4672-AD38-377BE13977F4.jpeg

·
Administrator
12,545 Posts
How did you remove the lower pulleys for the window cables please?

Pete

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #497
i Bought these doors used - let me check my original doors too that removed years ago

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #498 (Edited)
How did you remove the lower pulleys for the window cables please?

Pete
So glad you asked this question!
I had these doors dipped a couple of years ago and I guess the pulley wheels dissolved!
I didn’t even think - glad you mentioned it before I reskinned them!
Need to scratch my head on how to refit some!

3BDC2235-F04C-4FD1-9CF4-7D2E751B983D.jpeg

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #499 (Edited)
Classic alfa sell new plastic pulley wheels.

It looks like you need to remove the centre spigot mounting thing, that is riveted on from the back, to get the new pulley on. Top two a bit more tricky - might need an access hole cutting in to drill it out as that area is double skinned.
Anyone done this before?

·
Administrator
12,545 Posts
My top two can be removed as they are located by a clip, see photo, but yes the bottom seem to be permanent and my (bottom) ones appear to be some sort of alloy (?). And no I have not removed the bottom ones. My top 2 are plastic

Pete

Attachments

481 - 500 of 526 Posts