Alfa Romeo Forums banner

441 - 460 of 473 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #441 (Edited)
Today’s job was to delve into the upper a-pillar - I include photos of the internal pieces to show how it’s put together. It’s not done very often so thought a good idea to show its construction.
Actually once stripped things weren’t terrible-but I decided to re-make the inner gusset rather than de-rust it, as not a complex piece. See below stages of stripping out, cleaning.

Attachments

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #442 (Edited)
Remade inner gusset piece, and fettled rain channel section. Also epoxy primed the inner piece - ready for welding up tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #447 (Edited)
Points to note:

1. Epoxy priming before welding up is a waste of time in such small areas. I ground off the primer at the location of the plug welds (say about 1" square and coated with weld thru primer) but the heat from welding just burnt off all primer in th local area (or it caught light) so left with almost zero primer intact!. So won’t do that again!

2. I learned that my spot welder works great, but you really need to have clean metal surfaces to weld together/through. I linished the metal on each side of metal pieces being welded together, as im using zinc coated sheet steel (zintec). Doing this meant the welder worker a charm. Image above shows the inner gusset spot welded to the rain channel section. Using spot welder before I found it a bit temperamental. Lesson learned

·
Premium Member
6,352 Posts
Way cool! That one curve of the sheetmetal in front of the A pillar is where it would be better than great if there was replacement metal available. It really is a long and winding restoration road.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #449
Yes indeed.
I will take some pictures of my attempts to remake it! 😀 Might be helpful to others.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #450
Fabricated up the outer panel.
Slit the lower end and used Shrinker to get a curve. Also put a slit in the wing to allow to curve that up a bit as it was a bit flatter than it needed to be. Needed a bit of hammer dolly work to form 100%

Attachments

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #452
Top repairs underway.
For those interested you can see what behind that roof section.
Luckily not much rust so cleaned and treated what there was and welded in rain channel section repair.
Took a long time today getting the outer roof repair patch just right.
Ran out of time and steam to finish it off and weld it in!

Attachments

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #455
Sorry for delay in completing this...as usual other stuff takes my time.

Anyways happy to say the a-pillar work is now completed.

I made the repair panel initially using a new tool I treated myself to, an air planishing hammer, then fine tuned using hammer and dolly in a vice, plus a lot of patience. 😀

Attachments

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #458 (Edited)
Yes thanks - very satisfied.
Taking the extra time on fit pays off.

Next up is the other side a-pillar.
Seemingly not so badly rusted, but we’ll see!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Admiration

Just joined and seen this. I have one of the few as well. Will follow with interest! A huge undertaking and one which is way, way beyond my humble skill set and quite humbling to see!
Howard

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #460
Thanks Howard.
Luckily I didn’t realise how huge an undertaking it was, or else I may never have started! 😀
Honestly I think most on this forum could do this - just takes time, patience and a willlingness to give it a go.

441 - 460 of 473 Posts