Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 473 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Over the holidays I finally started the teardown of my rusty old friend.
The most used equipment so far had been the dustpan and brush - sweeping up everything that falls off when I exert any force onto bolts etc! :laugh:

Once its stripped then its off to the sodablasters.

Anyway - please see some photos of progress so far. front and rear running gear and interior/glass left to do.

Front lower corner virtually non-existent!

Front anti-rollbar mounting and rail rusted away

right rear

left rear - axle strap mount rusted off

left side

right side footwell and sill/rocker

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Oh boy! Seeing how extensive the tin worm is on her.....have you considered removing the front wings, outer sills and maybe the rear wings as well at this stage? There will undoubtedly be heavy corrosion at the base of the windscreen, A and B pillars anyways and these areas too can be cleaned up by the blasters...will make it a little easier for you later on.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hiya - yes that's the plan. Will cut front wings, front valance, outer sills and rear wing lowers off.
I was going to brace the shell after removing interior before I do that though.

Removing that 'metal' also reduces the cost of blasting :)

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Woah - big metalwork project!

Just a quick question (if the car represents no real emotional value to you).

If you price up the cost of shipped panels, towing, blasting and primer - not to mention time and welding materials - will this exceed the value of the car ? Would you be better off with a better shell?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes you are probably right - but there aren't too many around now. Difficult to be sure but I think around 20 single headlight RHD 1600 juniors. I think these are the best looking model.

Part of the reason I'm doing this is because I want to do (and enjoy) the work.
It's a first project for 20+ years (I built cars in my teens and early twenties) and I have a stressful job, so being in the workshop bashing away at metal feels like therapy to me!!!

It will take me years but hopefully I will end up with something I can be proud of.

·
Premium Member
5,443 Posts
Subscribed! This looks like a major challenge. You've probably already got this on your to-do list but i should think the first priority would be an accurate estimate of the total cost as well as time, tools, experience and friends. Running out of any of those will doom the project...

Good luck and post often!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Rich

I did a rough calculation and decided not to go there in too much detail.
I was quickly over $10k in body sheetmetal alone!! eek

Luckily im well catered for in the tools department, so that's a plus. I think welding wire and gas costs will mount up! :)

Time is the biggest problem, so this might be slow going - which i guess helps with the cost element ;-)

·
Registered
273 Posts
BigMart. Congrats on taking on such a huge project. All "logical" people will tell you it's a money losing endeavor (which it is) but the things you learn and do along the way, and in my experience, the people you meet, more than offset the cost. Best of luck!! Tom

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Tom,
I used to race motorcycles, so restoring this old girl will be a much cheaper and safer pastime!

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
...Part of the reason I'm doing this is because I want to do (and enjoy) the work. It's a first project for 20+ years (I built cars in my teens and early twenties) and I have a stressful job, so being in the workshop bashing away at metal feels like therapy to me!!!

It will take me years but hopefully I will end up with something I can be proud of.
Heh heh ....the very same reason I undertook my project as we'll! Now as for the years passing buy....you won't even notice that because you'll be having too much fun!:thumbup:

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks - I subscribed to your progress reports some time ago. I must say they are very inspirational and you have done a really great job.

·
Registered
10 Posts
As an owner of one of those RHD 1600Gt's I wish you luck with your epic task. It'll be worth it ! Subscribed .

Ian

·
Premium Member
5,443 Posts
BigMart. Congrats on taking on such a huge project. All "logical" people will tell you it's a money losing endeavor (which it is) but the things you learn and do along the way, and in my experience, the people you meet, more than offset the cost. Best of luck!! Tom
First time I've been accused of being logical! :thumbup:

·
Registered
721 Posts
I recently purchased a 1972 gt junior. It was already brought back from the dead and a fantastic job was done to make her look as good as she does. I have my own resto happening with a spider (lots to go yet). Good luck with your project and keep the updates coming.
P.S I'll put up a couple of pics so you can see how beautiful your car will finish up.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 473 Posts