Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Push hard and live
11,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One year and counting down. Well before the final move-out day, I will need to have ALL of this stuff gone. I'll either sell it or haul it to the dump. Hate to do the latter. However, I've got to paint and refurbish both the shop and garages, and to do that, all this stuff needs to be out of my way. I won't have the energy to move it in and out while I paint and scrape.

So - I'm starting this as the master list. I've posted a few of the more noteworthy items, but they'll be incorporated here as well. I can't really slow down to take detailed photos here at the beginning, but will take pics if you request. Bear in mind, what will a photo of a headlight switch of wheel cylinder tell you? I PROMISE to give you a fair and accurate description, and if what shows up doesn't match, I'll refund.

I encourage fair offers. I am more biased to making it go away than to extract the final penny from the sale. Just don't insult me. I don't respond well to that. In some cases, if you're reasonably near and a little patient, I might even be convinced to deliver the stuff via small airplane. Be creative.

Here's a list I quickly rattled off for an international owner the other night. We'll start here. All parts for 10204 unless they happen to fit a 2600 coincidentally

I've got one door (crusty but at the not-too-bad end of the scale)
Rear trunk lid (ready for final paint)
A bunch of restored hubcaps (concours perfect)
Couple of handfuls of the short, lower side trim strips
Bumper over riders - and a bunch of rubber bumpers for them.
Bumpers, front and rear
Drawers of various small brightwork, most restored
Lots of spare electrical parts, used and new
Lots of new rubber seals and gaskets, most new
Two freshly overhauled clutch pressure plates
Four freshly overhauled clutch disks
One freshly overhauled starter
Two or three or four overhauled water pumps
Radiator
Steering wheel
Steering shaft with upper surround
Two, new horn button trim rings
Various insignia
Full set of lightly used brake shoes - late style
Set of used brake drums
Front anti sway bar
Lots of front suspension pieces, some cleaned and powder coated
Two or three restored steering boxes, and loose spare parts.
Complete rear axle with late style brake backing plates
Used, but pretty good windshield
Pair of new early style door window glass (1958 - 59)
Two cleaned and powder coated rear axle track rods. I could fit them with new bushings easily enough.
Box of used, and some new, transmission parts
One transmission housing, 2 pieces front + rear tower
Restored gear shift lever. Very nice, with APE welded centering rivet
Some restored steel wheels. powder coated and ready
Several drawers of mostly new engine parts, ie valves, springs, bearings, gaskets, piston rings, seals.
Lots of valve adjusting shims, both 10mm and 9mm. I'm going to hang onto these until the last, in case something I'm driving needs adjustment
Gob loads of original and non-original hardware, mostly restored, some just cleaned, sorted in marked boxes.
Some Solex PHH44s, plus manifolds and plenum. I think I still have one FNM manifold, plus a set of 40ADDH Solexes that were fitted to a 2300. They're good carbs, at a fraction of the price of Webers.
I've gathered the stuff to rebuild another 2000 engine. Just need to finish the queue ahead of it. Head, crankshaft, and case already done. New pistons being made now. Hope to finish it before the final packing.
Another cylinder head, unrestored.
Large box of brake and clutch hydraulic parts, some restored
Drawers of brackets and latches, most restored
Box of components to build new hood (bonnet) latches for 1959 models
Jig to build new seat back frames, plus many precut hinge plates
Set of front and rear springs
Restored drive shaft, new giubos

The list will certainly grow.

·
Push hard and live
11,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry. No.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Hi Don, I have interest in your door glass, steering wheel, and shift lever, and possibly brightwork pieces, new engine springs, 10mm valve shims (when the time comes).

Steve

·
Registered
9,742 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Just a thought..... If there is someone out there going to the next (what year?)
AROC convention this would be a treasure trove to bring to bring there for the flea market. Buy a enclosed trailer. Load up. Store until then. Sell at the meet..
Take the rest to the dump....:cry:
Sell the trailer. Get on with your life...:D
Tell a great story to the grand children...👨‍👨‍👦‍👦
Be a sham to loose this stuff..

Reactions: P-3

·
Push hard and live
11,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For those of you not regular followers of my chaotic blathering...

My general trend has been to go ahead and restore components to ready-to-use status, even though the one on my car(s) were already fresh when they were installed. Also, like the door glass, if I've had to fabricate, it costs very little to make extras.

For example... Needed to restore my car, various seals. So, I purchased duplicate or triplicate quantities. Ditto engine valves, gasket sets, filters, brake overhaul seal kits. I think I've got one or two master cylinders already overhauled and ready to go, plus a pair of ready rear cylinders.

Certainly, this is not the largest stash of 102 spares in the US, that is up in Seattle with Jay, but it's rich with real world maintenance needs.

·
Premium Member
74 Spider
4 Posts
Welcome to AlfaBB, Ron!

The parts Don is offering in the "1900, 2000 & 2600 (1950-1968)" forum are for tipo 102.04 2000 cars made between 1958 and 1961. The '74 Spider very likely is a tipo 105.24 model (completely different, covered in the "Spider - 105 & 115 Series (1966-1994)" forum. Parts for your car are typically offered in the classified section under "Alfa Romeo Parts For Sale & Wanted".
Ruedi, thanks for pointing me in the correct direction. Guess there is a bit of a learning curve for a novice like myself. I look forward to everyone's guidance as I move forward with this 74 Spider.
Ron

·
Push hard and live
11,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ruedi, thanks for pointing me in the correct direction. Guess there is a bit of a learning curve for a novice like myself. I look forward to everyone's guidance as I move forward with this 74 Spider.
Ron
On the other hand, you could do some investigation into the sublime Touring 2000, give up the pleasant, if trivial later 2000s, and change your life forever.

·
Premium Member
74 Spider
4 Posts
On the other hand, you could do some investigation into the sublime Touring 2000, give up the pleasant, if trivial later 2000s, and change your life forever.
That is more my style but less my budget. Miss my 56 AH BN2, never thought I'd be here again, lusting over a vintage sports car. Anyone know Roberto Roselli, owner of Roselli Foreign Car Repair in San Jose, Ca.? He is the seller of the 74 Spider I purchased. I don't have it yet, going through paint, upholstery and mechanicals. First modification I'm questioning... Carb vs. Spica. I appreciate all thoughts and comments.
Ron

·
Push hard and live
11,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A well sorted Spica is utterly brilliant. You can hear and feel every cylinder pulse, and know it is meeting its duty.

·
Push hard and live
11,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BTW, let's discuss your budget.

In ten years an S1, 2, or 3 will have appreciated by X%. A Touring 2000 will have appreciated by Y%.

Which is larger, X or Y? Do you buy stocks based upon current price, or appreciation percent?

You don't get to drive and enjoy a share of stock.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Don,

I have a couple of good steering wheels missing their centres. I've only been holding off on their restoration until I could find replacement components. Do you have horn springs, contact plates, rubbers etc, too? Please send me a photo of what you have, by PM if preferred.

I am also looking for a de Leon horn relay. I confess that I am not sure if this is a 102 item.

Many thanks,

Alex.

·
Push hard and live
11,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Although the relay looks right for the period, my bet would be it was an in-period, parts store replacement for a dead original. I have several unrestored, untested originals. I've had 100% success in opening them up, cleaning everything, and either replating the covers, or doing a soft bead blast and clear coat.

I have one, used-but-ok steering wheel. I'm pretty sure I have no electrical innards, but I have two, new black push-for-headlight-flasher trim surrounds I bought from Franjo.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Yes, I do the same. Deforming the case to grip onto the relay base plate has always been a hit and miss affair, though, often resulting in the fresh zinc flaking off.

I'll take a look at Franjo's work again. Are they a good match and fit?

·
Push hard and live
11,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just a thought..... If there is someone out there going to the next (what year?)
AROC convention this would be a treasure trove to bring to bring there for the flea market. Buy a enclosed trailer. Load up. Store until then. Sell at the meet..
Take the rest to the dump....:cry:
Sell the trailer. Get on with your life...:D
Tell a great story to the grand children...👨‍👨‍👦‍👦
Be a sham to loose this stuff..
My "dumpster" comment might have been hyperbolic. 102 parts are too precious for that.

My point is that I've got a hard date about 10 months out, and barring a massive resurgence of the zombie apocalypse, my house goes on the market, and I start packing to leave.

The worst case is that a few things sell, and I give the rest to Larry, jr to sell, undoubtedly at higher prices than you'd get from me. Even I am fairly surprised by my tendency to hoard new and restored parts. I really do believe a smart 102 owner who actually drives theIr car ought to fly out, stay for a day or two, drink some good libations, and make a deal to take it all.

Spring is hinting it's arrival. When we get a few warming days in a row, I'll start posting group photos.

My work calendar at the moment is:

Finish painting my old Ford truck (2-3 weeks)
102 parts photos
Remove and ship Montreal cams for rework
Assemble spare 916 TS engine and box it up for storage.
Assemble "Mystery engine" and post on BaT.
Assemble spare 1958-59 2000 engine, and box for storage.

It is increasingly likely that I'll be selling 00072. I can't imagine it surviving in Colombia, and I won't ask him to sit, unloved and idle, in long term storage.

sigh....

·
Push hard and live
11,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, I do the same. Deforming the case to grip onto the relay base plate has always been a hit and miss affair, though, often resulting in the fresh zinc flaking off.

I'll take a look at Franjo's work again. Are they a good match and fit?
So far, everything I've gotten from him has been excellent.

I have a few NEW license plate light lenses, and I think new gaskets. He restored the steering wheel for 1488, and it returned as-new. Not cheap.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts