Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang. We are going to be moving into a much larger building soon. This is going to allow us to get going on some long awaited wild projects. For a while now, we have had some design plans of a car we want to build. The basics are this, the car is a 74 GTV. The body is going to have a all metal widebody grafted to it (not like the GTAM's fiberglass but similar). We are going to run 13X9 wheels, so the body is going to be wide! We are also going to install a 3.0 liter motor and drive train in it. What I'm looking for, is good detail photo's of the original group five car. Also we are looking for the carburetor conversion intake that is used on 3.0 liters. I've been told that this is done in South Africa a lot? If you know where these are sold, that would be helpful. I don't want to make the intake if I don't need to. Any and all help I am grateful for. This is going to be a killer build, we'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Hi Akitaman,
I am blown away by the work you do.
Anyway...the Alfa 6 sedan had 6 one barrel cabs so you can try to find a manifold from one of those. The only other V6 with carbs was the South African special 3 liter GTV6s. These are ultra rare, even in South Africa. The heads are also a little different on the carb V6s so that's another factor.

I think it would be a lot easier to use fuel injection, Gotech, Autronic, SDS etc. Of course the sound of 6 carb barrels would be cool. That alone might be a good reason to use carbs.

Greg,
www.hiperformancestore.com

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Greg. I agree that the FI option would be easier. Hell for that matter, it would make the build happen even faster. The modifications that we are going to have to do would be less. But I have to build this the way I'm seeing it. It is an incorporation of classic styling with advanced technology and more importantly vintage sounds. FI will not get me to that point. We plan on starting the build in September. So I'm doing the homework, parts collection and design work now. Do you know of a site I can go to to source the parts?

Benji- now you know where those wheels are going:D

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I have seen them show up on evil bay from time to time. They seem to go for quite a bit of money, like around $2500 for the whole setup. I don't know of any for sale right now. I can suggest three places to check, although it may be a waste of time.

1. The only actual Alfa 6 I have ever seen was down at Shade Tree http://home.earthlink.net/~fiatdr/shadetree.html . However I don't think it was a parts car. It was actually a bullet proof Alfa 6 (armored everywhere but it looked stock). I guess I would try there first.

2. I would try contacting one of the South Africans at www.alfagtv6.com .

3. Danny at fun imported http://www.funimported.com/ seems to be able to get anything. I don't know how he does it, but my dad has ordered some really strange stuff and this guy always comes through. Sometimes it takes a while, but he seems to have some contacts in Italy nobody else has.

Good Luck!
Greg

·
Registered
141 Posts
Maaate, Group 5!! Where is the Homer Simpson drooling icon when you need it!!:D
These are the best I can do for piccys. Sorry

And in case you hadn't guessed by now.....

I can't wait to see how this one ends!!! Good luck with the move Daron, business must going OK. It isn't that long since the last shift!! You deserve it. Enjoy your success :D

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Greg I will check these guys out.

Graham my friend! Where do I get that model? That is the build we are going to do. I've already have a few of the bits to start working on, and I'm working on templates for a lot of the sheet metal fab work. ** hint, the wing will be adjustable from inside the trunk**. We are going to get the "donor car" in here in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Anthony posted pictures of a tube frame beast a couple of years ago. He may have more info. This is the only shot I saved on my machine.

Attachments

·
Registered
377 Posts
Dear Akitaman,

Well are we going to see more excellent work?

I am happy to hear that you are moving to bigger premises. Show us some photographs soon.

With respect to parts for GTV 6 etc associated with South Africa you can contact the 'GURU' of V6 engine modifications and equipment in South Africa, Dawie de Villiers, via Junglejustice on this Bulletin Board. Another contact is Barryh also of this Bulletin Board.

May the best of luck be with you.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Ken. Anthony's car is nice. We will be put a cage in the car, but not make the a tubular chassis set up he has in the photo.

Hi South Africa. Good idea, I'll talk to junglejuice tomorrow at the Alfa club meeting.

·
Registered
141 Posts

·
Registered
11,879 Posts
Thanks Greg I will check these guys out.

Graham my friend! Where do I get that model? That is the build we are going to do. I've already have a few of the bits to start working on, and I'm working on templates for a lot of the sheet metal fab work. ** hint, the wing will be adjustable from inside the trunk**. We are going to get the "donor car" in here in the next few weeks.
Sounds like lots of fun, but no point making it out of metal ... too heavy, has to be fibreglass as I am sure the real ones would have been :).

Should be under 800kg's all up and be a bloody track car rocket!
Pete

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Anthony posted pictures of a tube frame beast a couple of years ago. He may have more info. This is the only shot I saved on my machine.
That car was or is at Santo's Italian Car Service. There was a whole discussion about the car and it's history somewhere here on the site. Just cant seem to find it. :(

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
That car was or is at Santo's Italian Car Service. There was a whole discussion about the car and it's history somewhere here on the site. Just cant seem to find it. :(
Simon, I looked for it too. The picture I posted was one from that thread (Dec 04 is the date on the file).

·
Registered
140 Posts
Akitaman
speak to alex jupe via www.alexjupemotorsport.co.uk. he is an ace restorer of all things GTV6 here in the UK and has a genuine top notch South African 3.0 GTV6 with 6 Dellortos et al of his own. He is also a nice chap and i am sure he will will assist you.

Stephen

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Barryl. Yes I think you do have the goods. P.m. me the details of what you have there.

Thanks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts